What's the point of tool-less cases? really?

mrbeanladen

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
You still have to screw in the gpu pci-e metal panel thingy, still have to screw in the cpu if its cooler requires it, still have to screw in fans, still have to screw in the psu, still have to screw in the thumbscrews of the case itself to be sure it's sealed good, still have to screw the motherboard, etc... And who doesn't have philips screwdrivers? and the + ones with an x on them.
Here, buy this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-Draper-31-Piece-Precision-Screwdriver-Set-Torx-T4-T20-more-09550-/160737594286?pt=UK_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item256cb50bae
I'm sure that buying a 50-100$ case means you have some money in your pocket and you're not playing games in Africa as a hobby after you come back home from hunting animals for food. Or do you?

I really have no idea why those cases exist... my stupid antec case has a tool-less hdd and a tool-less optic drive bay and man do those things vibrate, I thought they were about to fail when I heard metal sounds so loud I thought a plane's motor fell from the sky, landed on my neighbor's house and made metal sounds with its still spinning blades. Not to say that I already broke a plastic crap thing and I have doubts of how firmly the hdd stays there. They have screw holes for reasons, screws are supposed to go in them not cheap plastic bolts. And man I got scared when I first put my hdd in place in that plastic crap. The hdd barely slid in and after it reached a certain point it snapped so fast I thought my 1TB hdd full of data was gone. It was like a punch. Man I wanted to do the same to the head of the guy who came up with this idea, slam his head on a metal wall, see how he likes that.

Who likes those "tool-less" cases anyways? is this some kind of fetish or hipster thing I don't know of? and I fail to see how anything but the hdd and the optic drives will be screwless. What would they think of now, glue? welding? stick to the screws man, still have a 16 year old computer that has its screws in a perfect state, the hardware itself works perfectly as well. Stop coming up with those stupid ideas. Invest that time in coming up with better ones. Like maybe... coolers that attack to the exterior of the case, at the back of the gpu who pull out air from the vent grill thingy that attaches to the case. It would help in a lot of GPUs, especially blower ones, but the ones with multiple fans as well. In every gpu I owned, when I put my hand at the back of the card I sense some hot air but it's barely pushing out, more like floating or seeping out of a hole... when I put my hand next to the top or rear fan it's like a hairdryer.

It's a bit easier and faster to do. It removes the risk of ruining a screw by being an idiot with the screwdriver. Some thumb screws are also made so they don't completely separate from the case, but just hang there - that removes the risk of losing any screws.

It's not a big deal, but I consider it a small bonus if things can be done with my fingers instead of a screwdriver.

mrbeanladen

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012

I agree that it can happen but there's nothing a magnetic screwdriver can't handle, if you're paranoid just use another one for the HDD. I can't imagine it taking too much longer and it's not like you do this daily, you do it once like every few months if you like to upgrade the fans or components often.

blakwidowrsa

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
Tool-less has pro's and con's.

But personally I agree that some cheap cases slap "Tool-less" on the packaging as a sales pitch. Especially when it is not completely tool-less, thus destroying the whole idea. Lol

Some cases have tool-less gfx card pins and you can get rubbermount things for fans,
I kind of agree on some points though, over-engineering one thing on a case when something else is a recurring issue in forums is a problem to my mind,
on a side note, could you edit out the profanity from your post please Op?
minors frequent the forum, terms and conditions of posting... etc etc

Moto

mrbeanladen

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012

ok, sorry, I thought the forum already censored it