What's your favourite video game you've been playing?

Page 106 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
I've finished my Claire B run in Resident Evil 2. Even thought it had been 3 months since I last played the game, the level layouts were still familiar. I didn't notice too many differences compared to Leon A except one section (police station underground parking). I kinda now understand why the A run doesn't give you the proper ending. I felt Claire's submachine gun was pretty damn good. I really hoped for an automatic weapon for Leon too but the SMG for Claire really hit the spot during some of the encounters. The weapon differences were good I guess. I did miss the shotgun.
Wondering what I'll play next on the PC...

I've finished my Claire B run in Resident Evil 2. Even thought it had been 3 months since I last played the game, the level layouts were still familiar. I didn't notice too many differences compared to Leon A except one section (police station underground parking). I kinda now understand why the A run doesn't give you the proper ending. I felt Claire's submachine gun was pretty damn good. I really hoped for an automatic weapon for Leon too but the SMG for Claire really hit the spot during some of the encounters. The weapon differences were good I guess. I did miss the shotgun.
Wondering what I'll play next on the PC...
Yeah I liked the SMG too. It's invaluable for dogs and leg shots on regular zombies to knock them down quick for a multiple knife slash kill. The knife too, I really don't know why some guides suggest to just not carry it in your inventory. It can really save resources.

I wasn't expecting too many differences in layout between Leon and Claire since it all takes place in the same general locations, but one segment you didn't mention for Claire's play through is being able to briefly play as Sherry. Playing as Sherry is probably the most unique experience, since it all has to be done with stealth and no combat.

I don't recall why, but I left off somewhere in Leon's run on Hardcore after beating it on the Standard mode, and haven't gone back and finished it yet. I'm pretty sure it was getting sidetracked by a couple games that had just come out that I wanted to try. I do recall that limited saves via typewriter ribbons wasn't at all a problem though.

I find the key things to mastering the game are 1., knowing the layout well, 2., remembering where you left Lickers alive (to avoid them via different routes), 3., knowing how to evade Mr X, 4., knowing where you can safely dash to a save spot, and 5., using tricks like dashing past Mr X when he's in a door entering animation. I also felt it was very useful to use the Spark Shot as Claire against the level 3 G, but I've also seen skilled players use just the SLS 60 with HP rounds, knife slashes when he's stunned, and the acid launcher (takes a LOT of rounds on Hardcore though).

BTW, I thought it was quite strange they gave the Mini Gun to Claire instead of Leon. It was odd playing that way, and I had to wonder if it was an homage to, or sarcasm aimed at all the SJW feminists out there.

Recently I decided to go back and play through Dead Space 3 on Impossible mode again and finally use the Rivet handgun with Electrocution Module. I could never figure out before how to build it, but finally found a guide on it. The thing is pretty damn useful. You can even plant rivets where you know enemies will spawn, or in front of you as a sort of mine. You basically just fire one, then hit Space to activate the electricity whenever you want. If you place just one well, it can take down 2 or 3 enemies. Tougher enemies like Wasters take an extra shot though. So sad the idiots at EA canned that series.

Last edited:
I've been playing Just Cause 4 lately. I'm a good ways into it now, and have been a bit disappointed at how easy the wing suit stunts are. Fortunately I finally found one that took many many tries to perfect. If I encounter any more with such challenge I'll post them too.

Estacion Perdida Wing Suit Stunt

I also just started Star Wars Battlefront 2 a few days ago. Don't really know what to think of it yet, but it's got some good map rotations in Arcade mode. I'm guessing Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order by Respawn is going to be the better game though.

Jul 11, 2019
Can name several of games (by version of mine):
Witcher 1-3, Dragon Age Origins, Tyranny, Bioshock 1-2 are the games with the best plot and story.
Apex Legends - the best battle royal (despite bad servers)
Civilization 5 - very interesting strategy
Devil May Cry 3,4,5 and DMC: Devil May Cry - great slashers with pretty exciting (but a bit anime) story

Oct 26, 2018
Just finished up Nier Automata ending E.

Good God is that a sad but beautiful game, honestly one of the best games I have ever played story wise.

Heroes of Might and Magic III

A game I first bought on CD as part of the trilogy set in Heroes of Might and Magic: Millenium Edition.

I have, over the past several years, rediscovered it, gotten it to behave on Windows XP,, then discovered the Complete version on GoG, so that it can run well on Windows 7 and 10... along with the HD mod to allow for 16:9 and greater aspect ratio usage.

So, despite the hardware I have, and the games I've neglected on Steam, this is the game that seems to be something I can't put down. A turn-based strategy game that, two decades later, thanks to a wiki page, I'm learning more details about than I ever knew when I used to play it regularly.

In the case of HoMM 3, it was a Windows game. It just takes care of the networking and other issues, such that I'm not stuck using NetBEUI/DirectPlay protocol (as I had to do getting the original discs to run on WinXP).

HoMM 2, though, and I assume HoMM 1, have a DosBOX wrapper around them. HoMM 2 is the one that really pulled me in, and I miss the cartoonish "Bluh!" when the Vampire makes an attack in that game.

Jul 23, 2019
I like different games, but lately I’ve been playing more mobile games, as I’m already fed up with regular video games. How do you have games on your phone? Now I am hooked on sims dating games . I always liked anime, so I decided to download this on my phone. It is free and interesting. Who has not tried to play such romantic games, be sure to download it to your phone.

I played Ori and blind forest quite some time ago. I really loved the artwork in the game. Some of the encounters you had to play through was brutal and I was playing with K&M. It was very frustrating yet very satisfying once you beat those certain areas.

Reactions: Ley

Ley

Reputable
May 1, 2016
I played Ori and blind forest quite some time ago. I really loved the artwork in the game. Some of the encounters you had to play through was brutal and I was playing with K&M. It was very frustrating yet very satisfying once you beat those certain areas.
I know right?

Last edited:

JohnBonhamsGhost

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016
Just finished up Nier Automata ending E. Good God is that a sad but beautiful game, honestly one of the best games I have ever played story wise.
that is an awesome game. at first i didn't enjoy the gameplay very much because of k/m control design but later, after a few MODs and customizes through FAR, it has turned out to be a great experience.

Definitely Ori and the Blind Forest. I'm trying to speedrun it.
loved this game, is so beautiful and fun. it got me looking back into newer platformers and other lower budget games.
Planet Alpha and Apotheon are a couple more modern platformers that i had a lot of fun with.
also have really enjoyed the lower budget isometric, Landinar: Into the Void.
Apotheon

Planet Alpha

Landinar: Into the Void

Reactions: Ley

digitalgriffin

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008
Monster Hunter is pretty epic graphics wise for a quest game. Character customization is extraordinary. The weapons systems are varied and complex with various buffs you can find in the environment. You have the option of outright buying better armor/weapons, or crafting your own for a small fee with materials you find.

However minor control and audio glitches are annoying. Voices drop out occasionally. Also aiming during battle is just a pain. Rotating your character requires you rotate your scene with your mouse, then D/W your way around. It's aiming is course and not refined, causing a lot of aiming problems. In cramped quarters that could be a disaster.

I prefer the std model of rotate mouse = rotate you. Hold down mouse wheel = rotate scene with you standing still.

Controls can be inconsistent also. Sometimes a right click will cancel. But to select something on a quest, then you do have to right click. Then to equip out and leave your equipment box, you have to right click which says "Cancel" but that's counter intuitive. The UI should have said "Save and exit" Some poor interface issues that would have made this an EPIC new series with a good story line.

Planet Coaster is just CRACK in sandbox mode. I cannot put that thing down. And the user community is just awesome. It is quite possibly the most addictive game since Sim City 3000 or Cities:Skylines

Ori and Battleblox theater are on my short list to try. I know I liked Psychonauts & other games by the Fine Entertainment

My son likes Kerble OS Space Program. But he wants to be an astronaut. He's also creating new puzzle levels in Portal 2 using the community labs.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018
that is an awesome game. at first i didn't enjoy the gameplay very much because of k/m control design but later, after a few MODs and customizes through FAR, it has turned out to be a great experience.
Never played it on PC but heard it was hit or miss on how it ran due to Denuvo encryption. Shame the game was never properly patched after released but at least the community helped with the mods it released.

isamuelson

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
For me, it's been DnD Neverwinter Nights. Pulled out my version from GoG and started playing it again. The replay value of this game with the hundreds of user community modules out there, makes this a game to continue to play to this day. EE edition is great if you're looking to play online with the community. That's where it shines. But, if you're just a solo player, then the normal version that I have is the correct choice.

Also, just recently picked up Mad Max and Alien Isolation. I love the open world concept of Mad Max. I'm enjoying just going out on my own (not in story mode) and scavenging for scraps as well as taking on convoys and other war boys out there.

Alien Isolation, if you look at it from a simulation point of view which is what the developers state that was their intent, is nerve racking. I'm stuck right now in the medical facilities hiding from the Xenomorph. I've hid in lockers and under medical tables and have had it walk right past me. When I finally tried to escape after hiding for 20+ minutes, I was killed and I swear I was sweating. That's where this game really shines if you take it as a simulation not a FPS shooter.

Those are the games I'm enjoying right now with NWN being the oldie but goodie. Funny how the older games can outshine a lot of the newer games. I've always felt that back in the 80's when I started playing games on my Apple ][, the games didn't have a lot of graphic fluff, so they resorted on content to make the games interesting, especially in the RPG world. And, they were hard! Many, if you died, that was it.

Last edited:
Reactions: King_V

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS