Discussion What's your favourite video game you've been playing?

Page 108 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
I've lately started playing Disco Elysium and I'm finding it really hard to put it down. I've played 21 hours in the past 2 days! Total I'd say it has been more than 30 hours. It is a very dialogue heavy RPG game that focuses on you making decisions that actually affects an outcome (Maybe not the ending because I haven't yet finished the game yet). This game has completely absorbed me and I just can't stop playing it! I'm very near to finishing the game, I know it but the last hour that I played was much quicker in pace than the experience I've had so far. So many story elements taking place too fast, I couldn't exactly comprehend what was happening. I may have even missed some side quests because of this as well. I know for sure that I'll be going to an older save once I finish this 'go-with-the-flow ' playthrough.

I'm still playing AC Odyssey and I'm nearing end game there as well. But I hear you need to finish not just the odyssey main quest but also the cult and atlantis ones to truly beat the game. So I have a feeling this will definitely go on for more time.

DmC 1 is still on my 'currently playing' list as well. It's really fun and challenging. The bosses can be brutal sometimes.

Been playing The Outer Worlds for a few days now. I kinda have mixed emotions about it.

Pros
Quests are sophisticated enough to be layered deeply, including side quests
Characters have good voicing, with enough background and personality
There are tons of things to loot without having to constantly buy things
World looks OK, more so if you use cvars to remove blur, add sharpen
There's a good variety of guns and melee weaps, all can be modded

Cons
Quests can be hard to follow, as side quests can be redirected to main ones
Dialog at times can degrade into silly and meaningless conversation choices
Some loot can take a lot of resources to hack, and there's no resource menu
In a lot of places the world and creatures look far too cartoony and colorful
Weapon upgrading ("Tinkering") is far too simplified, only adding damage
Stealth works when sneaking past enemies, but almost useless in combat
TTD is pretty much useless compared to the VATS system of Fallout games

I've also read it's really hard to keep companions alive when playing on the hardest mode Super Nova. I've yet to test such things, but on the default difficulty they're more than capable using default AI settings. This is worth noting because Super Nova is the only mode companions can actually die on, plus you cannot save wherever you want on that mode. I have however read of a workaround whereby if you fast travel to your ship before tough battles, it generates an autosave you can reload. TTD "Tactical Time Dilation" is quite different from VATS, and not in a good way. It's rare in places like Cascadia you can one shot a creature, even with a powerful weapon. In places like that, and against small groups with tough human enemies, TTD is almost pointless to use.

The game can vary from adventurous, to tedious, to exiting to frustrating. It's been called "too much like Fallout", but for me, it's not as good as Fallout 4, which had a more real world feel, a more tangible feel of peril, and of course the great things you could build and maintain with the Workshop just put it well over what TOW has to offer. I'm not far enough in to give it a final rating, but so far for me, FO4 wins over TOW.

Last edited:
Due to all the great reviews Disco Elysium has gotten, and many comments like Gman450's, I had to pick it up but haven't installed it yet. The bit of gameplay I've seen reminds me a lot of the Torment games and I loved both Planescape: Torment and Torment: Tides of Numenera. Really can't wait to start it up.

I've also started a The Outer Worlds playthrough just a few days ago. One problem people seem to have with the game is that a lot of the early reviews and a lot of the unofficial accounts of the game I have witnessed keep comparing it to Fallout for some reason. Just because you have one or a couple people from a different series working on a game doesn't mean it will reflect on the game the way people seem to have expected.

Before picking it up I watched quite a few short gameplay videos and didn't see anything that lead me to believe it would be the same style of game as any of the Fallouts. The only series it seemed to remind me of is Two Worlds really. And with that in mind when I started, I was actually impressed with the land/space-scapes and the gameplay.

I've also seen a lot of comments from gamers about how it's such a terrible 1st person shooter compared to modern titles. But I also never got the idea that it was supposed to be heavily reliant on the shooter aspect. All of the early reports I read mostly talked about the amazing journey and the dialogue.

I have enjoyed the 10hrs or so I've put in but just got Borderlands 3 a couple days ago and I am addicted. Have stopped playing(for now) the other games I'd recently gotten into like TOW, Breathedge(which is also really fun), and Dying Light. I would definitely agree with Frag Maniac that Fallout is much better and more fun than TOW though.

I've also started a The Outer Worlds playthrough just a few days ago. One problem people seem to have with the game is that a lot of the early reviews and a lot of the unofficial accounts of the game I have witnessed keep comparing it to Fallout for some reason. Just because you have one or a couple people from a different series working on a game doesn't mean it will reflect on the game the way people seem to have expected.

Before picking it up I watched quite a few short gameplay videos and didn't see anything that lead me to believe it would be the same style of game as any of the Fallouts. The only series it seemed to remind me of is Two Worlds really. And with that in mind when I started, I was actually impressed with the land/space-scapes and the gameplay.

I've also seen a lot of comments from gamers about how it's such a terrible 1st person shooter compared to modern titles. But I also never got the idea that it was supposed to be heavily reliant on the shooter aspect. All of the early reports I read mostly talked about the amazing journey and the dialogue.

I have enjoyed the 10hrs or so I've put in but just got Borderlands 3 a couple days ago and I am addicted. Have stopped playing(for now) the other games I'd recently gotten into like TOW, Breathedge(which is also really fun), and Dying Light. I would definitely agree with Frag Maniac that Fallout is much better and more fun than TOW though.
To be clear, though I'm sure to most it was obvious from what I said, I only made TOW vs FO comparisons due to Obsidian's involvement in developing both. That said, both games DO share a lot in common as well, perhaps more than they differ if you look at core themes.

What I find odd about TOW, and perhaps one of the more off putting things about it, is it's a strange dichotomy of being able to sneak a lot and avoid combat (It's said you don't have to kill anyone), and yet the combat can also quickly change from easy to very difficult with TTD being so inadequate. It's also pretty much impossible to entirely avoid riling extremely hostile creatures, and once you do, they are quick to hunt you down. Even if you have both perks that add time to TTD and hasten it's recharge, plus the one for Scanning, it's still pathetic and does very little to help.

I don't feel this is so much a problem of the Publisher pushing deadlines or restricting creative freedom though. Clearly Obsidian has made it obvious in pre-release interviews they're enjoying they're freedom. I get the feeling they were banking on making the characters and dialog more fleshed out, as well as offering branched endings, bringing guaranteed success.

I suppose that's true when you look at the reviews, but it could also be that the many whom were disappointed with FO76 were looking to get away from FO with a similar themed, but more choice structured offering. To me, I can't see comparing it to one of the worst (if not THE worst) installments in the FO franchise, and as such, it just sticks out as a sort of value game compared to FO4.

Quite frankly when it comes to MS published games, I don't assume they're going to be trash anymore. Gears 5 has to be one of the best if not THE best titles of this year for me, and I've seen others say the same. Many have said it's not quite as hard as GoW 4, and while so far that has been true for me, it still feels challenging, rewarding, and FUN , all at the same time, on the hardest mode. They also threw in a lot of cool physics and tools in how you can use the environment and Jack.

Gears 5 is a game that takes a fair bit of doing on Insane, but it's not the kind of thing where after beating it on that mode you say "That's the last time I'm playing it on THAT mode!" Another game MS seems to be hitting it out of the park on, is the soon to release Flight SIM 4K. I mean I've never been one to get all worked up about SIM type games, but this one looks absolutely breath takingly real. It's a monumental amount of work to put something like that together.

Very interesting see your takes on 'The Outer Worlds', Frag and John. I have installed the game and played maybe 10-15 minutes. I can't give any impressions but I feel this is a game I'm going to like. I thought Fallout 4 was a very much watered down in terms of dialog but it easily made up with it's enhanced combat system compared to Fallout 3 and New Vegas. In terms of writing, I hope the writing in TOW will come close to the levels of New Vegas (NV) because NV was just so well written.
I won't be committing to playing TOW right now, because I've got 3 other games I'm playing simultaneously.

Gears 5 is definitely a good game. Last week I had a friend over and we played it in co-op mode. It's just amazing that they still have something such as couch co-op in 2019 for a 3rd person shooter. I really want to see more of this. Me and my buddy played the whole of Act 1 and I think we reached Act 2, now in a snowy world. The gameplay is as usual, very fun. You can still play the whole game on your own and still experience the story which I think has been good so far.

I finished Disco Elysium. By far, one of the best written games I've played in a while and it was super fun to play as well. I couldn't take my hands off it. I wish ZA/UM (developers of the game) a huge success and hoping to see more games from them.
I think it took me nearly 40 hours to beat this game. The story is just so strong. The characters are so well written and the only bad thing I could say about this game was that it just sort of ended pretty abruptly when I least expected it to. Nonetheless, amazing game.

I've finished the main odyssey storyline in AC Odyssey and I still have the Cult of Kosmos and Atlantis quests to finish. I'm nearing 60 hours in this one.

In Devil May Cry (2001), I'm at the final boss. Although in game time shows I haven't even played 5 hours yet, I may have played 15-20 hours because the game doesn't exactly have any checkpoint system and you're forced to reload the last save once you're dead. I can see why this game developed a huge following although the story just seems very bare bones to me, at the moment. They do not flesh out any of the characters in this game. I'll probably go straight to DMC 3 instead of 2 because I heard it's pretty bad for a DMC game.

I had also been playing Brother's In Arms: Road to Hill 30. I forgot to mention this one but man oh man, I have never played a war time FPS game like this one where strategy is key. Having a suppressing team and a flanking team to tactically approach your enemies is very refreshing as opposed to the more run and gun shooting games out there like CoD and Battlefield. I've definitely planned on playing the trilogy (Earned in Blood and Hell's Highway). It's a shame we don't have games like this anymore in today's market.

Gears 5 is definitely a good game. Last week I had a friend over and we played it in co-op mode. It's just amazing that they still have something such as couch co-op in 2019 for a 3rd person shooter. I really want to see more of this. Me and my buddy played the whole of Act 1 and I think we reached Act 2, now in a snowy world. The gameplay is as usual, very fun. You can still play the whole game on your own and still experience the story which I think has been good so far.
I've been hanging out on the official Gears 5 forum lately, and I have to tell you it's got the usually official forum angst. There's a lot of players that miss the old , dark color pallet. A lot of them praise the campaign for being fun, but a lot of them don't like the changes in mode play. Same opinions are present on Steam, yielding a Mixed review status.

Keep us informed as to what you think of it, there's a lot of good enemies they added. You're about to see the first sighting of the one I like best in Act 2.

phil.r.greco

Prominent
Jul 3, 2018
I've been addicted to Company of Heroes 2 for years now. Probably one of the funnest WW2 RTS games I've ever played.
I'm also a big fan of Tom Clancy's The Division I/II - been playing II since release.
...and I still play Unreal Tournament (original from 1999) which never gets old for me.

friend of mine just got Terminator: Resistance. i had seen a couple ads for it that looked pretty good visually. went over and tried it last night, big disappointment.
gameplay is very stale. animations for killing different machines are very simple with little to no variation. stages have a few variable paths but is still very linear. seemed to be no difference in damage between a pistol, uzi or assault rifle. while there is some "leveling" by choosing certain traits as you progress it doesn't really seem to add much to the feel of character development. also some crafting of items available but i found enough of the items that i never needed to craft again after the first tutorial sequence.
seems to be just another cheap movie franchise game. which i probably should have expected anyway.

still blasting away in Borderlands 3 at home. i've seen a lot of reviews stating that it just feels like an expansion to previous games. but i have enjoyed them all so that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.
the story-line has been entertaining and of course funny as hell. you get to meet up with a lot of the main characters from previous games and the major gun manufacturer's head honchos and such in interesting ways.
i keep thinking i'm getting towards the end of the game and then another huge twist or new story-break opens up again. definitely enjoying it.
Fallout 2 ... simply the best RPG
i have enjoyed all of the Fallout games i've played. 1, 2 and Tactics were probably my favorites though.
if you haven't played the Wasteland series, part 2 is a nice modern option that reminds a lot of the original Fallouts. i really enjoyed Wasteland 1 & 2 and 3 is on the way, scheduled for next year.

WildCard999

Titan
City of Heroes & City of Heroes: Homecoming. I also really enjoy Homeworld & the remastered editions.

Speaking of RDR2, I have it for the PS4 and enjoyed the single player however was hoping with the PC release that you could make private servers, does anyone know if that's possible?

I have finished all the games I had mentioned in my previous post (AC Odyssey, DmC 1 and BIA: Road to Hill 30).

AC Odyssey, it took a total of 64 hours to finish main odyssey + cult of kosmos + Atlantis. I am going to be honest with you, I cheated in the game to reach higher levels. I had uncovered all of the cultists but couldn't face them because of this. I just couldn't motivate myself to grind further since I wanted to finish this soon and start playing other games. I used Cheat Engine if anyone is curious. That and getting a cheat table helps you enable/disable a variety of options. I fooled around a bit with one hit kill. Lol. It was pretty fun.

I've begun Control. It's very cryptic but the game looks nice. I turned on ray tracing and indeed it looks really good with it on. Gameplay as I hear, only gets better as you progress. Right now, it seems alright.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
I've been playing RDR2 on the PC almost non-stop since day 1 on the PC.

RDR2 is quickly on its way to earning a spot on my top-favorite-games-of-all-time list. It’s right up there next to AVP Gold, HL1, Diablo, Morrowind, NOX, NOLF & Serious Sam, with Ultima Underworld being an honorable mention. I very much enjoy open world games where I'm offered the freedom to do whatever I want. If I feel like doing a main mission I can, if I want to just wander around, I can do that too. With RDR2, I've caught myself literally spending several hours on end, just walking up and down random streams catching fish. I was killed by a big scaly monstrosity of a brute last night though while catfishing along the shore of some swamps I stumbled across. Guess he wanted my prime stringer of bluegills. J

I really like how in RDR2, the game changes a little every time you play. For instance,

The other day I was out in the middle of nowhere plinking away at small game with my scoped .22 (which I got for free after I sucked the snake venom outta some NPC’s leg while out fishing one day) when I heard gun shots off in the distance. After skinning the raccoon I had just shot (in a thoroughly barbaric rip-the-skin-right-offa-him move) I whistled for my horse who was grazing a short distance away and climbed back up in the saddle and headed off towards where I had heard the shots coming from. As I crested a ridge, I began to hear voices, the 1st of which had an Irish accent and were talkin real mean like. I knew then without a doubt it had to be a group of them damn O’Driscoll boys. Now I thought about dismounting and sneaking up on them like, but being as I might need to get away quickly, I stayed in the saddle and took a good look. At the bottom of a small hill, stood a steam engine at idle belching black smoke, the late afternoon sunlight reflecting off its windows. Lined up next to its coal cart stood 3 rough looking fellas with their rifles & 6 shooters pointing at a group of passengers on the ground. Any fool could see they were in the middle of robbing these fine folks and well, I couldn’t have that. So I pulled my own rifle off my shoulder, went to aim and realized it was the .22. Damnation & hellfire! Might as well have just picked up a rock and thrown it, for all the good this pea shooter would do.

Well I knew if my aim was true I had a chance of dropping at least one of them if I hit him square up side the dead. So I brought the butt of the rifle back up to my shoulder and put the .22’s cross hairs dead to center over the temple of the nearest soon-to-be-daisy- florist and squeezed the trigger. Guess ‘ol Lady Luck was with me as he dropped like a sack of potatoes off the back of a wagon. ‘Course now his buddies weren’t too happy, especially since the one I had just dropped owed one of the other fellas a good sum of money from the previous night’s poker game, not that I would have known that but it was true none the less. So I put my spurs into old Nibblers sides and went charging down the hill. Now these O’Driscoll boys may breed like cockroaches but they sure aren’t yeller like them. They immediately ran to take cover, blindly firing as they went. They say lady luck is a fickle mistress and I believe them, whoever “they” are.

Almost immediately I’m hit. Not a killing shot mind you (otherwise I’d not be here to tell the tale) but it packed a wallop. “In for a penny, in for a pound” my old man always used to say so I pulled out my sawn off shotgun and charged flat out at the nearest O’Driscoll. They may be brave, but they couldn’t hit the ground if they were pointing down (the round I just took not withstanding) Jumping over a passenger laying on the ground I didn’t know if was dead or alive, I landed close to the first of the 2 remaining bandits and fired both barrels at almost point blank range. I couldn’t miss and he took both barrels to the face and chest.

The remaining bandit saw the fate of his buddy and took off running. So I pulled out my lasso and had a little fun. He lasted 2 whole turns around the train before expiring. After going through their pockets, which landed me a few dollars I’d be spending at the saloon later that evening, I also found a nice gold pocket watch which would fetch a tidy sum. I turned my attention to the hostages but they had all scattered when the 1st sorry sack of potatoes dropped. There wasn’t much of value on the train, as the bandits had already cleaned it out before I arrived. (Probably where the gold watch had come from) The body I had jumped over earlier turned out to be the trains operator and since no one stuck around to tell me no, I whistled at old Nibbler to follow then jumped up inside engine and took me a nice long train ride. I left it just outside the town of Valentine and rode off for the Dakota River for a little early evening fishing.

Yeah, it’s safe to say that I’m really enjoying RDR2. This is only one of many true stories...

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
I'm also very much enjoying RDR 2 I was wondering why I got that .22 rifle for free, guess thats it. Though I just gave him medicine instead of sucking the venom out lol.

I really like how dialog changes if you repeat a mission, I thought there was a way to derail the train in the early mission where you rob your first train so I replayed it and liked how the dialog between the characters was almost completely different, I think GTA V did this as well. You can tell a lot of love and time when into making this game.

However I feel like the only PC gamer who has had no problems at all with the PC version, launched fine on launch day and I am yet to have a single crash after about 20 hours of play.

Im curious how it runs on your 1060. I play a 1440p with a 2070 super and Im lucky to get 70-80fps consistent with a mix of high, ultra, and medium settings. Im basically running the settings hardware unboxed recommends for best performance while still maintaining good visuals. Certainly not an easy game to run, however it is a beautiful looking game.

Reactions: Mrgr74

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
I'm also very much enjoying RDR 2 I was wondering why I got that .22 rifle for free, guess thats it. Though I just gave him medicine instead of sucking the venom out lol.

I really like how dialog changes if you repeat a mission, I thought there was a way to derail the train in the early mission where you rob your first train so I replayed it and liked how the dialog between the characters was almost completely different, I think GTA V did this as well. You can tell a lot of love and time when into making this game.

However I feel like the only PC gamer who has had no problems at all with the PC version, launched fine on launch day and I am yet to have a single crash after about 20 hours of play.

Im curious how it runs on your 1060. I play a 1440p with a 2070 super and Im lucky to get 70-80fps consistent with a mix of high, ultra, and medium settings. Im basically running the settings hardware unboxed recommends for best performance while still maintaining good visuals. Certainly not an easy game to run, however it is a beautiful looking game.

I tried to give a snake bit victim meds which ended up being a bottle of whisky. The guy was mad but he took a good long drink before dying. :LOL: I've saved 2 others by sucking out the venom. Both have allowed me to put a single item on their credit. The 1st was the .22 (Which I use more than just about every other weapon) the 2nd free item I chose was the Gamblers outfit. It woulda cost me $198 had I bought it myself, so a steal there. The 2nd guy I saved by sucking the venom out had a friend with him who lost it when he found out I was "sucking on him" LMAO!

I haven't experienced or perhaps haven't noticed, the change in dialogue if I fail a mission and repeat it. I'll listen for it the next time.

Yesterday I was doing a random mission where 4 of us were going to rob another train and one of the guys on the wagon I was driving was talking tough. Bragging & such. Had to have been going on for what felt like 5 minutes as I drove us to where we had to go. Well ended up taking a turn too sharply and there was a sign post next to the road. The guy that was talkin tough was on the side of the wagon where the sign was and he ened up getting a face full of sign mid-brag which knocked him clean off the wagon. That alone was funny, until I realized all of our horses were running behind us. He got trampled and died. I have not belly laughed like that in a very long time...

As for how it runs, I let the game auto-set the visuals the 1st time it started and after taking a peek at what the game thought I should run it at, I want to say I saw several settings at Ultra, though I only checked that once. I am only running it at 1080p though, but the game looks and runs GREAT. I'll verify the settings when I get home in about 2 hrs.

Last edited:

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
@Mrgr74 / @Dunlop0078

you guys really need to learn how to use spoiler alerts in posts

Hi @JohnBonhamsGhost

Fair enough. My apologies if I gave anything away and spoiled anything for you in regards to RDR2 as that was not my intention in the slightest. That being said, you ARE reading posts in a section of the forums called:
"What's your favourite video game you've been playing?" Kinda comes with the territory don't you think? :)

Fair enough. My apologies if I gave anything away and spoiled anything for you in regards to RDR2 as that was not my intention in the slightest. That being said, you ARE reading posts in a section of the forums called:
"What's your favourite video game you've been playing?" Kinda comes with the territory don't you think? :)
Actually it's common forum etiquette that members are expected not to talk about spoilers unless they use spoiler tags (Insert tab), which includes games t hat have been out for a while on console, but new to PC. After all, this IS a PC Gaming forum. It's also why they include a spoiler tag option in the text editor.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Actually it's common forum etiquette that members are expected not to talk about spoilers unless they use spoiler tags (Insert tab), which includes games t hat have been out for a while on console, but new to PC. After all, this IS a PC Gaming forum. It's also why they include a spoiler tag option in the text editor.

Hi @Frag Maniac

Fair point. In the future I'll be sure to put "Spoiler" tags around everything. Which I did above as I honestly do not wish to ruin the game for anyone else. If we want to get nit picky tho, there are a lot of posts here that could easily be deemed as giving away info on any given game. For those that don't have the game or were just curious, the info I posted above
did not give away any part of the main story what so ever, rather info on a random encounter that may or may not happen while any given person plays through the game.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
I'm looking forward to 4.0 for Path of Exile. This is a game I've spent thousands of hours playing since it was 1st released and I've YET to make it past Tier 3 maps. lol.. I've never been the biggest fan of mobile games, but I guess that's because I've never had a good enough phone or tablet to play them on. Perhaps that may change in the near future. Must admit, I was very happy to hear Path of Exile 2 was in the makings with a projected late 2020 release.

Hi @Frag Maniac

Fair point. In the future I'll be sure to put "Spoiler" tags around everything. Which I did above as I honestly do not wish to ruin the game for anyone else. If we want to get nit picky tho, there are a lot of posts here that could easily be deemed as giving away info on any given game. For those that don't have the game or were just curious, the info I posted above
did not give away any part of the main story what so ever, rather info on a random encounter that may or may not happen while any given person plays through the game.
Spoiler tags aren't needed for ALL time periods, just mainly within early periods of release, or one can also go by price of title if they stay popular for a while. Those whom are spending a year or more waiting for sales cannot expect to not see spoilers revealed.

At any rate, I enjoyed the read, and considered it's content more random side stuff than anything story related, which are the main things to protect with spoiler tags. Of course mileage varies for each gamer though.

I'm looking forward to RDR2, but am content to wait a bit more until I feel all the patching and driver optimizations that can be done is finished.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14196

rdr2 online rules. me and all my homies are getting super wealthy and high ranked with all the best gear and horses.. lol, can't wait for more business to run. we ride as 7 person posse and go whoopin and a whoppin all over the map... just love it... griefers get explosive ammo for one hit kills... keeps em from coming back after you kill them 10 or so times in a row

my advice, don't wait for patches, get your arse in gear and get cranking online now!

edit
we like dedicated, peaceful players to be in your ever growing group on discord. people who don't destroy others stuff or harm them. we work together like businessmen and get super rich doing so. we ride together always to protect the goods for delivery

we need tons of people from all over the world so there's always action going down on the sales channel. I've met some awesome peeps from UK, Scotland, Norway, etc.. and we have lots of fun.

Last edited by a moderator: