Discussion What's your favourite video game you've been playing?

Page 128 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
BTW, I meant DSR, VSR is for AMD GPUs. Edited the post.

DSR only samples at higher res, but is viewed at no more than the display's native res. It really does look like the higher res though, but requires the GPU power to run it. This is why it's ideal for older games that are less GPU hungry. I've played many games at 4K DSR on my 1920x1080 display.

To use DSR you first have to right click on empty desktop and select the Nvidia Control Panel. You then select the Manage 3D Settings tab, scroll down to DSR Factors, click on it, and check all the boxes, then save. Then you will see a lot more resolution options in the game menu.

Last edited:

revodo

Proper
BANNED
Jun 10, 2021
Lately? It's a mix of a love / hate relationship.

Dead By Daylight. It's got so many issues it's almost laughable. The animations are janky. The hitboxes are as big as redwood trees. Some games every survivor is running around with their neck broken and hanging to the side. It's hilarious. The balance is way off, and depending on the current patch, it's either survivor sided, or killer sided. However, as many times as I've lost my <Mod Edit> or rage quit, I keep coming back to it. The core gameplay scratches that itch. It's fun, it's arcadey, it's delicious fluff. Also, the fact that there's almost zero communication in the game has given rise to an entire dictionary of teabags. You can teabag a hundred different ways, but how and where you do it always means something different. It's amazing how people have just adapted to understand each other based on a single gesture.

Alien Isolation. I've recently gone back and started playing through again. This game has always amazed me. The absolute attention to detail. The faithful reconstruction of aesthetics. The top tier AI that no other game has yet to rival. The atmosphere that keeps your muscles tense the entire time you're playing. The inclusion of the DLC with every original Alien actor lending their voices. I paid full price for the game when it came out and feel bad for not paying more. Truly a game unlike any other. It's the only game I've ever played where I actually thought I was going to have a heart attack at some point, and I never get tense playing other horror games. Then again, I was traumatized by the original Alien movies as a kid, so it's probably some unresolved childhood fears playing a part, too.

State of Decay 2. It's ridiculous. The glitches in this game are so bad that the developers have a built-in "unstuck" option, and you will absolutely use it. A lot. The co-op is hilariously bad, it's the only game I've played that if you move to far away from the host, the game "tethers" you by teleporting you back to the host. Basically, never get in separate vehicles. The difficulty varies from walking simulator, to impossible hordefest, and can switch quickly. As soon as you stock up and leave your base and are half the world away, your base is about to be attacked. Time to turn around. I could go on and on, but the fact is, the game is fun. Despite all of it's awful glitches, and poor gameplay decisions, I always have a blast playing it. Getting a group of 12 survivors all fully loaded, and stockpiles of everything, only to die because you fell off a roof and got your ankles bit by a zombie, is so rage inducing it's actually enjoyable in a weird way.

Red Dead Online. What a blast. For $5, I've gotten so much enjoyment out of this game. The worst things about this game have ended up being the most enjoyable for me. Unbelievable amount of hackers that Rockstar refuses to do anything about. The cheaters in this game have absolutely no chill. I've had 30 car-sized alligators spawned on top of me. I've been blown up and sent flying 14 miles across a river. I've been teleported along with every other player on the server into a river and drowned. I've seen a battalion of hot air balloons descending on Saint Denis. Horses the size of space shuttles. Invincible, rabid and feral honey badgers killing every player in sight. Naked models of men falling on me and hitting me with their floppy penises. Entire armies of characters dressed in KKK attire. Teleported to a prison cage with two headed zombie skeletons beating me to death inside of it. This is just a small portion of what I've encountered. Then there's the actual game. Yes, it's open world. Yes, it's repetitive. Yes, Rockstar could do more with the game, but we all know they won't. It doesn't matter. There's a ton of stuff you can do solo, there's a ton of stuff to do with groups. The animations and models are amazing. The voice acting is top notch. The world is huge. Random events are always happening. I've been lining up a kill shot on a legendary animal only to have some random billy goat knock me over a cliff. You can roleplay as a joke and everyone around you will join in and have a blast. I haven't laughed this hard playing a game in a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lately? It's a mix of a love / hate relationship.

Dead By Daylight. It's got so many issues it's almost laughable. The animations are janky. The hitboxes are as big as redwood trees. Some games every survivor is running around with their neck broken and hanging to the side. It's hilarious. The balance is way off, and depending on the current patch, it's either survivor sided, or killer sided. However, as many times as I've lost my <Mod Edit> or rage quit, I keep coming back to it. The core gameplay scratches that itch. It's fun, it's arcadey, it's delicious fluff. Also, the fact that there's almost zero communication in the game has given rise to an entire dictionary of teabags. You can teabag a hundred different ways, but how and where you do it always means something different. It's amazing how people have just adapted to understand each other based on a single gesture.

Alien Isolation. I've recently gone back and started playing through again. This game has always amazed me. The absolute attention to detail. The faithful reconstruction of aesthetics. The top tier AI that no other game has yet to rival. The atmosphere that keeps your muscles tense the entire time you're playing. The inclusion of the DLC with every original Alien actor lending their voices. I paid full price for the game when it came out and feel bad for not paying more. Truly a game unlike any other. It's the only game I've ever played where I actually thought I was going to have a heart attack at some point, and I never get tense playing other horror games. Then again, I was traumatized by the original Alien movies as a kid, so it's probably some unresolved childhood fears playing a part, too.

State of Decay 2. It's ridiculous. The glitches in this game are so bad that the developers have a built-in "unstuck" option, and you will absolutely use it. A lot. The co-op is hilariously bad, it's the only game I've played that if you move to far away from the host, the game "tethers" you by teleporting you back to the host. Basically, never get in separate vehicles. The difficulty varies from walking simulator, to impossible hordefest, and can switch quickly. As soon as you stock up and leave your base and are half the world away, your base is about to be attacked. Time to turn around. I could go on and on, but the fact is, the game is fun. Despite all of it's awful glitches, and poor gameplay decisions, I always have a blast playing it. Getting a group of 12 survivors all fully loaded, and stockpiles of everything, only to die because you fell off a roof and got your ankles bit by a zombie, is so rage inducing it's actually enjoyable in a weird way.

Red Dead Online. What a blast. For $5, I've gotten so much enjoyment out of this game. The worst things about this game have ended up being the most enjoyable for me. Unbelievable amount of hackers that Rockstar refuses to do anything about. The cheaters in this game have absolutely no chill. I've had 30 car-sized alligators spawned on top of me. I've been blown up and sent flying 14 miles across a river. I've been teleported along with every other player on the server into a river and drowned. I've seen a battalion of hot air balloons descending on Saint Denis. Horses the size of space shuttles. Invincible, rabid and feral honey badgers killing every player in sight. Naked models of men falling on me and hitting me with their floppy penises. Entire armies of characters dressed in KKK attire. Teleported to a prison cage with two headed zombie skeletons beating me to death inside of it. This is just a small portion of what I've encountered. Then there's the actual game. Yes, it's open world. Yes, it's repetitive. Yes, Rockstar could do more with the game, but we all know they won't. It doesn't matter. There's a ton of stuff you can do solo, there's a ton of stuff to do with groups. The animations and models are amazing. The voice acting is top notch. The world is huge. Random events are always happening. I've been lining up a kill shot on a legendary animal only to have some random billy goat knock me over a cliff. You can roleplay as a joke and everyone around you will join in and have a blast. I haven't laughed this hard playing a game in a long time.
Curious as to why you don't mention The Evil Within? I mean it not only has stealth, but it's stealth has a learning curve. Many said that game's stealth was broken or too hard to use, but I found it just takes patience to figure it out. For instance you have to precisely time your sneaks, especially if starting from an angle vs directly behind, as the enemies will twitch, looking to one side, then the other. You also have to be careful how you run away from them once spotted, as they will trace you to where they last heard you running. This means you need to stop sprinting once their line of sight has been broken, before you look for a place to hide.

Even finishing them off once they're prone can be tricky, especially on Akumu mode, as they can at times swat at you with a melee weapon while prone, which kills you in that mode. I found the solution was to approach them from their feet if face down, and from their head if face up. That way if they swat, it won't hit you.

Recently my new fave survival horror game is Days Gone though. It simply has far more variety to it. Being able to encounter hordes, yet being able to also take them out overtly or with stealth, is something I've not seen in any other survival horror game. And then you also have random encounters with hostile wildlife, ambushers, kidnappers. etc. It's just such a complete game that's so immersive, yet so underrated.

Both The Evil Within and Days Gone are very replayable too, with tons of difficulty modes. Both feel very daunting at first. but once you get to know them well, can be quite rewarding on the harder modes. I've yet to play Days Gone on any of the Survival modes, but I eventually got to the point where I could play The Evil Within on Akumu with no upgrades, locker keys, or DLC weapons, and made a video guide on it.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHB6vX_n-5BP6l80RHREtCPPce4IfaVfc

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 217926

I'm having an absolute blast with the Heroes of the Inner Sphere DLC for Mechwarrior 5. This is what the game should have been at launch.

Also I'm about to finish Mass Effect 2 with the Legendary Edition. When I finish the trilogy then I'll start Days Gone. Looking forward to it.

revodo

Proper
BANNED
Jun 10, 2021
Curious as to why you don't mention The Evil Within? I mean it not only has stealth, but it's stealth has a learning curve. Many said that game's stealth was broken or too hard to use, but I found it just takes patience to figure it out. For instance you have to precisely time your sneaks, especially if starting from an angle vs directly behind, as the enemies will twitch, looking to one side, then the other. You also have to be careful how you run away from them once spotted, as they will trace you to where they last heard you running. This means you need to stop sprinting once their line of sight has been broken, before you look for a place to hide.

Even finishing them off once they're prone can be tricky, especially on Akumu mode, as they can at times swat at you with a melee weapon while prone, which kills you in that mode. I found the solution was to approach them from their feet if face down, and from their head if face up. That way if they swat, it won't hit you.

Recently my new fave survival horror game is Days Gone though. It simply has far more variety to it. Being able to encounter hordes, yet being able to also take them out overtly or with stealth, is something I've not seen in any other survival horror game. And then you also have random encounters with hostile wildlife, ambushers, kidnappers. etc. It's just such a complete game that's so immersive, yet so underrated.

Both The Evil Within and Days Gone are very replayable too, with tons of difficulty modes. Both feel very daunting at first. but once you get to know them well, can be quite rewarding on the harder modes. I've yet to play Days Gone on any of the Survival modes, but I eventually got to the point where I could play The Evil Within on Akumu with no upgrades, locker keys, or DLC weapons, and made a video guide on it.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHB6vX_n-5BP6l80RHREtCPPce4IfaVfc

I've played Days Gone. It's a pretty good zombie game. Lots of elements to play around with. For whatever reason, it's not something I feel like revisiting. Maybe because the story line is too linear? I don't know. I think when it comes to zombie games, I prefer total chaos, or a never ending survival struggle. Something with an end just seems weird to me.

I didn't like The Evil Within back when I played it. Don't know why. It was objectively a well made game, just not my taste.

tunghaichuan

Reputable
May 13, 2019

DSR only samples at higher res, but is viewed at no more than the display's native res. It really does look like the higher res though, but requires the GPU power to run it. This is why it's ideal for older games that are less GPU hungry. I've played many games at 4K DSR on my 1920x1080 display.

To use DSR you first have to right click on empty desktop and select the Nvidia Control Panel. You then select the Manage 3D Settings tab, scroll down to DSR Factors, click on it, and check all the boxes, then save. Then you will see a lot more resolution options in the game menu.

Thanks again, that is very helpful. I'll have to try that when I get home from work.

D

Deleted member 217926

I didn't like The Evil Within back when I played it. Don't know why. It was objectively a well made game, just not my taste.

I liked it well enough but it's not a 'fun' game to me at all. Parts were even downright tedious. Not like State of Decay 2 which is one of the most addictive games since the original. I have 100% of the achievements in the original on Steam. I have 2 through Epic so no achievements but it stays installed and is what I play when I'm in between games. I love that they keep it updated. The Dying Light team does updates as well. Another great zombie game.

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost

revodo

Proper
BANNED
Jun 10, 2021
I liked it well enough but it's not a 'fun' game to me at all. Parts were even downright tedious. Not like State of Decay 2 which is one of the most addictive games since the original. I have 100% of the achievements in the original on Steam. I have 2 through Epic so no achievements but it stays installed and is what I play when I'm in between games. I love that they keep it updated. The Dying Light team does updates as well. Another great zombie game.

Dying Light is an amazing game, and you're right, they've kept it updated and been adding content since forever. Very fluid gameplay, even the parkour stuff felt fluid.

I'm really looking forward to Dying Light 2. The trailers I've seen so far look like they improved things a lot, especially the parkour and the many ways you can interact with the environment and enemies using it.

The only thing I worry a bit about is how your actions shape the game as far as how it affects your rep with each faction and the consequences. That's been done before of course, but can have adverse effects. I recall in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SOC for example, the way they made the AI roam sometimes caused AI reactions to be very hard to deal with. I don't mind a challenge AI wise, but once you know a game well, you should also be able to handle it with a degree of control without feeling like you FUBARed something and have to revert to a save way prior.

That said, Techland's getting a lot better at polishing their zombie games. They've come a long way since Dead Island.

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I've been replaying Diablo 2 on my XP gaming rig. Diablo 2 will install on Windows 10, but the 800x600 graphics to look like crap at 1080 on a 27" monitor. The game looks pretty good on my 20" 1600x900 lcd monitor. I'm looking forward to the newly remastered version of D2, which is coming in September.

I've also been replaying Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast as well. Same thing, the game looks good at 800x600 on my small lcd monitor.

I downloaded and installed Two Worlds: Epic Edition on my main computer. It is a great looking game. Most people didn't like it, due to the glitchy nature of the game play and the horrendous, cringy dialog during the cut scenes. The game has always run well for me with minimal bugs and I like some of the game mechanics: namely that items can be combined with identical items to produce a stronger version. It eliminates repetitive farming of bosses for better items.

D2 never gets old to me.

Interesting. I have zero issues running D2 at 800x600 on a 1440p monitor. Does a decent job of scaling up. I don't recall issues at 1080p either.

If the remaster solves a lot of the quirks and makes certain things easier, it will be a winner. I never did get into ladders or anything like that when it was super popular (though apparently they still do ladder resets on battle.net)

These days I mostly play with Pluggy so I can collect lots of items and build characters around what I find. Far easier than muling twenty characters. I downloaded Median XL and Path of Diablo, but haven't installed them.

tunghaichuan

Reputable
May 13, 2019
D2 never gets old to me.

Interesting. I have zero issues running D2 at 800x600 on a 1440p monitor. Does a decent job of scaling up. I don't recall issues at 1080p either.

If the remaster solves a lot of the quirks and makes certain things easier, it will be a winner. I never did get into ladders or anything like that when it was super popular (though apparently they still do ladder resets on battle.net)

These days I mostly play with Pluggy so I can collect lots of items and build characters around what I find. Far easier than muling twenty characters. I downloaded Median XL and Path of Diablo, but haven't installed them.

Maybe I just don't have D2 set just right? I installed D2 on my older gaming computer (i7 860, 750 ti, Windows 10) but kept getting an error message. The game would run, but every time I started it, Windows 10 would give me a compatibility error message, even after I set the compatibility for Windows XP SP2. I should install D2 on my newest gaming rig to see if it is any better.

I had never heard of Medial XL, Path of Diablo, or PlugY, so thanks. I'll check them out.

I'm looking forward to the remaster, as well. I've played Diablo 3 quite a bit, but it always seemed to be lacking something compared to D2.

tunghaichuan

Reputable
May 13, 2019

I did give that a try yesterday for SW JKII: JO, but I got the same exact resolution options as I had before. The game looks great at one of the higher resolutions on my monitor, for a game that is 20 years old.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Maybe I just don't have D2 set just right? I installed D2 on my older gaming computer (i7 860, 750 ti, Windows 10) but kept getting an error message. The game would run, but every time I started it, Windows 10 would give me a compatibility error message, even after I set the compatibility for Windows XP SP2. I should install D2 on my newest gaming rig to see if it is any better.

I had never heard of Medial XL, Path of Diablo, or PlugY, so thanks. I'll check them out.

I'm looking forward to the remaster, as well. I've played Diablo 3 quite a bit, but it always seemed to be lacking something compared to D2.

I'll double check what the settings are I run, as I recall it was one additional step after compatibility mode.

Reactions: tunghaichuan
I remember my exact thought when I finished Dead Island was 'well there's 35 hours I'll never get back'. lol
Honestly, I really enjoyed Dead Island, despite the many bugs. I remember how immersive it was to have to run from car to car and jump on it's roof, then let stamina regen, then proceed. When you think about it, if it weren't for the cult following of Dead Island, Techland may have never made Dying Light, so I have to give it props for that too.

tunghaichuan

Reputable
May 13, 2019
Did you find all the res multiplier boxes in DSR Factors and check each one? If so, are you sure you saved the changes?

DSR works with a 1660 Ti, and Nvidia mentions nothing about OS gens in the requirements for it, just GPU gens, so it should work.

I believe so, but I'll check again to make sure. Thanks for your help.

This sounds way better than what the actual game probably has to offer lol. I've played GTA Online with friends and we had played almost all the heist missions. It was really fun and TBH, the only fun thing about it in the game for me. Every other activity was just mediocre and connecting to those activities took forever. This was like 3-4 years ago though. I have no idea how much the game has changed/remained the same since.
I'm really looking forward to Dying Light 2. The trailers I've seen so far look like they improved things a lot, especially the parkour and the many ways you can interact with the environment and enemies using it.

The only thing I worry a bit about is how your actions shape the game as far as how it affects your rep with each faction and the consequences. That's been done before of course, but can have adverse effects. I recall in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SOC for example, the way they made the AI roam sometimes caused AI reactions to be very hard to deal with. I don't mind a challenge AI wise, but once you know a game well, you should also be able to handle it with a degree of control without feeling like you FUBARed something and have to revert to a save way prior.

That said, Techland's getting a lot better at polishing their zombie games. They've come a long way since Dead Island.
Dying Light is probably one of my favorite zombie games. Days Gone is also looking to be rivalling that from my experience so far. It took a few tries to get into Dying Light but man, that game was really something. Excited for Dying Light 2 as well. I'm happy even if I only get more of whatever the original had to offer. It doesn't have to wow me in any way with the decision making system or whatnot. It just needs the same gameplay and I'm down.
I remember my exact thought when I finished Dead Island was 'well there's 35 hours I'll never get back'. lol
I did try Dead Island quite a few number of times. 4 or 5 to be exact I think. I was really liking it to be honest and I just wish I could play more of it but I kept getting so many bugs and glitches that affected my progression. It pissed me off that I finally shelved it for good.

Solidjake

Notable
Sep 6, 2019
Don't have that much time anymore to game with the three month old but I'm looking forward to playing the remastered Mass Effect and Doom Battle of the Gods Pt2.

have stuck with Elex and am glad i did. after the initial few hours the game picks up pretty fast and starts developing a pretty good story.
combat feels a bit dated compared to a lot of the later 3rd person action RPG games but it works and offers a bit of variety with many different types of weapons.
also has a large map with many secrets in tough to reach spots. have run into a ton of Easter eggs from just checking out random locations on the map.

definitely a typical Piranha Bytes game, which can be a very good thing if you enjoyed Gothic & Risen games.
it's awesome to see a game again where a lot of the NPCs have actual "lives" that take them traveling all over the map, getting into messes, and maybe even randomly dying out on the road somewhere.

am really looking forward to Elex 2 later this year.
I'm having an absolute blast with the Heroes of the Inner Sphere DLC for Mechwarrior 5
just got the game & DLC on GOG.
have a few more games lined up to play, but planning on getting into it sometime soon.
most of the reviews i've read were very enthusiastic and the gameplay looks pretty cool.

tunghaichuan

Reputable
May 13, 2019
have stuck with Elex and am glad i did. after the initial few hours the game picks up pretty fast and starts developing a pretty good story.
combat feels a bit dated compared to a lot of the later 3rd person action RPG games but it works and offers a bit of variety with many different types of weapons.
also has a large map with many secrets in tough to reach spots. have run into a ton of Easter eggs from just checking out random locations on the map.

I got Elex a while back on a Steam sale, unfortunately that game makes my 1660 ti run really hot. It is one of the dreaded Asus Tuf Gaming models. :(

I got Elex a while back on a Steam sale, unfortunately that game makes my 1660 ti run really hot.
odd that a relatively low-resource-hungry game would make your card hotter than others.
the core & memory clocks would be the same speeds and with similar % usage as with any other similar engine.

do you normally run much older games or those with very low graphical quality?
It is one of the dreaded Asus Tuf Gaming models.
ASUS must've really improved on their TUF GPU design,
my RX 6700 XT runs very cool & quiet even with a moderate overclock.

maybe you need to create a more aggressive fan curve for your card
or redo system-wide cooling setup with more focus on the GPU.

tunghaichuan

Reputable
May 13, 2019
odd that a relatively low-resource-hungry game would make your card hotter than others.
the core & memory clocks would be the same speeds and with similar % usage as with any other similar engine.

do you normally run much older games or those with very low graphical quality?
ASUS must've really improved on their TUF GPU design,
my RX 6700 XT runs very cool & quiet even with a moderate overclock.

maybe you need to create a more aggressive fan curve for your card
or redo system-wide cooling setup with more focus on the GPU.

I believe I was getting 87 C with Elex, I was also getting the same with Borderlands 3.

I was running Two Worlds: Epic Edition yesterday and was getting around 85 C on the highest graphics settings. When I lowered the settings I was getting 75 C.

I also started playing F.E.A.R. again, and was getting around 70 C on the highest settings.

I don't overclock the card, and I've even used ASUS GPU Tweak II and MSI afterburner to keep the thermals in check, but I still get very high temps.

The ASUS Tuf Gaming 1660 ti, from what I've read, is just badly designed. Something to do with the fan placement. But I didn't find out about it until after I had the card a while.

I wish I had gotten the RX 6700 XT instead.

It could be the Phanteks case too, although I do have two 140mm fans for intake and two 120mm exhaust fans. One of them is hooked up to the AIO connecter on the motherboard, so it spins at the max RPMs all the time.

I feel like I have to baby the card as if it dies on me, I will be SOL due to the current GPU situation.

I forgot to mention I started playing Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts 2 a week ago or so. It's a completely different setting from the last game, but uses the same basic formula. New for the first time in the entire series though is ultra long sniping, and you have the scope to do it right off the bat. They seem to have added a lot more challenges too.

I've not really played it enough yet to get an idea if I'll like it any more or less than the last game, which was pretty good IMO. The only thing I didn't like about the last game was the way they blocked you from retrying certain challenges if a failed attempt was made. The game wasn't very flexible regarding trying to get all the challenges done.

Latest posts