Discussion What's your most favorite GAMING GENRE ? **General game Discussion thread**

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Hello everyone !

As the title says, which is your most favorite Gaming GENRE ? And, what all games do you actually play, be it any genre, or a mixture of 2 genres ?

Some examples of genres: Action game, Action role-playing game, SIMs like City-building or a Flight game, First-person shooter, Tactical role-playing game, Third-person shooter, Tactical shooter, "Platform game", Racing video game, Real-time strategy, Massively multiplayer online first-person shooter game, 2D Fighting games, Stealth game, Sim racing, and Role-playing video game among others.

Mine is mostly First-person Shooters, with some third-person action Games, like Gears of War 4, Mass Effect 3, DEAD SPACE, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2, JUST CAUSE. Though, FPS has always remained my topmost priority.

I'm not an actual gamer though, very casual. But I've been playing FPS games since the good old days of DOOM, QUAKE, HEXEN, HERETIC, DUKE Nukem 3D, Wolfenstein, Soldier Of fortune, PAINKILLER, HALF LIFE, F.E.A.R, Call Of Duty series, Battlefield series and few others.

These are my list of games owned by me, all LEGIT, not pirated. This list is not exhaustive though. Some are lesser-known titles though.

ALIEN RAGE. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_Rage

Aliens versus Predator 2.

Alpha Prime (excellent FPS, by an indie DEV studio). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_Prime

Area 51. I love this shooter. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_51_(2005_video_game)

Battlefield 3, 4, 5, Hardline, BF: BAD company 2.

BIOSHOCK 1 and 2.

Bordelands 1 and 2.

BREED. A good old-school FPS. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breed_(video_game)

Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30, earned in Blood, and Hell's Highway !

BULLETSTORM.

CALL of DUTY series (starting from the fist game till BLACK OPS).

CALL OF JUAREZ.

CHASER ! This is my most favorite FPS of all time. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaser_(video_game)

The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena.

Clive Barker's Jericho ! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clive_Barker's_Jericho

Contract J.A.C.K. Hell Yes, lol !

CRYSIS 1, 2 and 3.

DOOM, DOOM 2 and 3, BFG edition and DOOM (2016).

Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition.

DYING LIGHT.

F.E.A.R. series.

FAR CRY series !

HALF LIFE series.

Halo: Combat Evolved.

Hard Reset. This game is TOO tough for me, I had to use Cheats/Trainers to beat it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_Reset

HERETIC, HEXEN.

MEDAL OF HONOR series.

No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way. I like Cate Archer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_One_Lives_Forever_2:_A_Spy_in_H.A.R.M.'s_Way

PAINKILLER series.

PREY (only the first title which came out in 2006).

Project Snowblind ! This is my MOST favorite FPS. You guys must try playing this shooter.

QUAKE 1, 2, 4.

RAGE 1 and 2.

RED FACTION 2.

Section 8: Prejudice. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_8:_Prejudice

SERIOUS SAM series, All the games released till now. And, yes I'm SERIOUS !

Shadow Warrior 1 and 2.

SiN Episodes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SiN_Episodes

Soldier of Fortune series.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, Clear SKY.

SWAT 4.

Titanfall 2.

TIMESHIFT ! I love this game. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TimeShift

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2.

TRIBES Vengeance. This game is really good. Strong STORY campaign. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribes:_Vengeance

Unreal II: The Awakening.

Wolfenstein: The New Order and The Old Blood.

Thanks for reading, NICK. :)

Last edited:

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
Can you guys beat this baddie easily in DOOM ETERNAL, aka Marauder ! ? It's a damn tough and frustrating Boss fight though....

I mentioned in the other gaming thread about how I can't stand the Marauder... not because it's difficult, after a death or two I hardly ever fail to kill them now, but because it's such a break in the gameplay, it's sooooo against the flow/feel of the game up to that point. The entire game you're running and gunning and you can pretty much shoot & damage every enemy at any time EXCEPT the invincible marauder which you have to wait for a timing window to attack. Can't be too far away, can't be too close, it's like the gameplay slows WAYYY the heck down when a Marauder arrives and all of a sudden you're playing a Souls game or Sekiro... baiting attacks, counter attacking, etc.... for me, when a maurader arrives, I would just run around blasting everything else and save the marauder for last, then no joke, just stand still, dodge one of its throwing axes or two, shoot one or two of his little dog things, and stand there waiting for his eyes to turn green...

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
I would recommend trying quick swapping SSG and Ballista if he's been a struggle for you

Okay. I will try. Thanks.

Also, one more problem when dealing with this BOSS is the distance between the player and this enemy. Can't stand too far or too near this guy, since we have to maintain a safe "middle" distance when dealing with this enemy. And top of that this guy is TOO fast that it's kind of hard to maintain a constant distance.

I mentioned in the other gaming thread about how I can't stand the Marauder... not because it's difficult, after a death or two I hardly ever fail to kill them now, but because it's such a break in the gameplay, it's sooooo against the flow/feel of the game up to that point. The entire game you're running and gunning and you can pretty much shoot & damage every enemy at any time EXCEPT the invincible marauder which you have to wait for a timing window to attack. Can't be too far away, can't be too close, it's like the gameplay slows WAYYY the heck down when a Marauder arrives and all of a sudden you're playing a Souls game or Sekiro... baiting attacks, counter attacking, etc.... for me, when a maurader arrives, I would just run around blasting everything else and save the marauder for last, then no joke, just stand still, dodge one of its throwing axes or two, shoot one or two of his little dog things, and stand there waiting for his eyes to turn green...

You have covered most of the points as well. Even I feel the same. I guess like mentioned before, "Timing" is key on beating the Marauder.

Even though when the Eyes turn green, this guy is so fast that he starts using other forms of attacks. we need to be very quick since timing and distance is the key here. It's a very frustrating fight though. :(

Well, as is the case with most whom complain about this enemy on the official Doom Eternal forum, you're contradicting yourself. You first say he's not difficult, and can kill him every time now, only to later call him "invincible". You also say "Can't be too far away, can't be too close", only to later say "...just stand still, dodge one of its throwing axes or two", which is what he does at a distance, hardly making it mandatory you stay at middle distance. It also sounds like you still don't know he only sends his "little dog thing" when you shoot his shield, which had to be the case if you saved him for last, because at times he does that if another enemy shoots his shield.

And there ARE other enemies in the game that force you to deal with them quickly or evade and take cover. The Archvile in fact is best NOT left for last, unless you want a room full of buffed demons after you. I really think there's FAR too much complaining about this enemy, and I don't really buy that the ones doing so are just bored with him and not struggling instead. In fact in most cases, it's plain to see when you look closely at what they're saying.

The way I see it, the new enemies they've brought in, including the Marauder, add a much needed change of pace to keep the franchise fresh. The last thing I want to see is Doom turning into is some Nintendo-esque title that perpetually rehashes the same old enemies and gameplay dressed up in new graphics.

Last edited:

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Hmmm...
My two favorites are shooters and Rhythm.
I love CSGO, Rainbow Six, and honestly this is gonna sound nerdy but I enjoy playing Krunker.
I also really like games like geometry dash and osu! in my rhythm category.
I wouldn't say I really like car games, but I'm having so much fun playing Rocket league too.

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
Well, as is the case with most whom complain about this enemy on the official Doom Eternal forum, you're contradicting yourself. You first say he's not difficult, and can kill him every time now, only to later call him "invincible".

you can pretty much shoot & damage every enemy at any time EXCEPT the invincible marauder which you have to wait for a timing window to attack. Can't be too far away, can't be too close

If you can't construe the meaning of my statement to mean "invincible except during a short window of time" then I don't know how else to explain it.... Is it incorrect to say that the marauder is invincible most of the time? And only when you've stood in the right place, waited for his eyes to glow green, etc, then you can attack?

Weren't you the guy arguing about how you shouldn't be able to gain jedi powers in Fallen Order because it's unrealistic and goes against the laws of nature in the star wars universe because that would mean any old person could come along and obtain those jedi powers, someone other than an actual jedi? C'mon dude....

If you can't construe the meaning of my statement to mean "invincible except during a short window of time" then I don't know how else to explain it.... Is it incorrect to say that the marauder is invincible most of the time? And only when you've stood in the right place, waited for his eyes to glow green, etc, then you can attack?

Weren't you the guy arguing about how you shouldn't be able to gain jedi powers in Fallen Order because it's unrealistic and goes against the laws of nature in the star wars universe because that would mean any old person could come along and obtain those jedi powers, someone other than an actual jedi? C'mon dude....
I don't think many players realize just how vulnerable the Marauder is. No, you really aren't forced to attack him only during the green eyes stage. That's merely the conventional way taught in the tutorial. He's also affected by grenades, sticky bombs, remote detonation rockets, and the BFG. The shield only protects him from direct projectile fire, you can if you wish pepper the area beside and behind him with these other weapons and do some serious damage.

One easy trick is to fire the BFG above him, and once it gets behind him it's tendrils will make him face toward it, leaving his back exposed to devastating damage. Conversely, if you insist on waiting for the green eyes flash, you can also stun him with a conventional weapon, then finish him off with a BFG blast, or two lock on rocket barrages if you're quick enough.

As far as the Jedi comment, it's a bit off topic and a totally different type game. Are you trying to shame me into thinking I often make ridiculous statements? At any rate it's a game I beat on Grand Master getting by with 62 yr old reflexes, and have commented on some so called "guides" many were trusting as fact that had many flaws in them (which no one refuted), so I know the game pretty well. I tend to jump in when I see a common misconception to help clarify things. Sure, some might get the idea I'm just nuts or being a troll, but a little fact checking is all you need do to open up possibilities you weren't aware of.

The Jedi comment was specifically to do with an opinion on the story though, so is a matter of perspective, not fact about gameplay possibilities within the given combat design as is the case here. So you're reaching and stooping to petty digs there that don't even apply to this conversation in any way. It's also been a LONG while since I even played that game, as is the case for many, so you could have at least linked to the post mentioned, rather than ask "weren't you the guy". You really expect me to remember the exact content of the conversation and context that comment was said in several months later? It kinda reeks of you not being able to handle people's opinions, letting it eat away at you for months. :rolleyes:

I wasn't trying to slam you, just point out the many misconceptions about the Marauder. I know full well that you meant he's invincible while his shield is up, but that's false, as it is with the Gladiator as well. You just don't get that the tutorials are meant for average players that don't think of alternative methods. It DOES however say he's "resistant" to super weapons, not invulnerable, so that should be a clue. I've seen some of the best players that can speedrun the game in about 3 hrs on Ultra Nightmare 100% use some of these alternative methods, and they're very fast and effective. I've also seen someone kill him even with the Crucible, but that is rare and difficult. It's possible as well to stun lock him by repeatedly dashing behind him each shot after he's first stunned. So no, the shoot him in the brief window after his eyes flash method is far from the only one.

For most, the shoot him after he flashes green eyes and drops his shield method is easiest, and uses less resources, but I've also seen even people struggling with him for a long time say using grenades or sticky bombs around him during his so called "invincible" stage finally helped finish him off. It really depends on the player's skill level and play style.

BTW, as far as I vaguely recall, the Jedi comment I made was in response to someone saying you should have Jedi skills from the get go, vs starting out as a Padawan and progressing. I don't recall ever saying you should have no Jedi skills at some point in the game, that would be a very boring light saber game. For some reason a handful of players on the official JFO forum feel the game needs more skills. I happen to feel there's more than enough, and in all of my 3 play throughs there were many I never used or needed. Again, that's an opinion discussion though.

Again, if you're going to call someone out, especially on a comment made many months ago, at least have the decency to post a link to it. ;)

Last edited:
What exactly are you talking about? Confusion over what weapons the Marauder is vulnerable to?

No. Not about that. It was just a Rhetorical question. never mind. :)

Anyways, who is playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Remastered Edition ? I don't the visuals that great, given this a remaster of some sort.

Nothing next-gen or Wow-ish about the Game's graphics though. Story campaign is pretty good, along with voice acting, but it still lacks that old COD punch.

Anyways, who is playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Remastered Edition ? I don't the visuals that great, given this a remaster of some sort.

Nothing next-gen or Wow-ish about the Game's graphics though. Story campaign is pretty good, along with voice acting, but it still lacks that old COD punch.
My opinion on it hasn't changed since they first announced it and showed a few screenshots. It only makes sense on console (old gen vs new gen). On PC it's not worth bothering with.

Anyway, just finished Doom Eternal on Ultra Violence and though it was a tough battle at times, a lot of it felt easier than my first run on Hurt Me Plenty because I didn't know the game very well. The last boss fight alone the first run took me about as long as the whole Final Sin level on this run.

I also had a really good result with the Marauder in the last tough battle area before the final boss fight. I channeled him into that narrow corridor where you enter that fight from via the stairs. When he can't dash sideways to flank you he's way more predictable, doing back to back straight attacks. I got in 6 shots one after the other in that spot alone, the next shot put him in stagger state.

Such a cool game, I have more confidence now that I might be able to beat it on Nightmare. I'll post a vid of it later tonight. It will take two hours to compress and at least that much to upload.

As you can see I definitely made some mistakes, like not glory killing when I could have before freezing the Doom Hunter in the first battle, meaning no Blood Punch. Blood Punches also instantly destroy both weak spots of a Mancubus, and I missed opportunities there too.

However the gameplay was scrappy but effective, and I managed to find ways to end most battles with 100% health, armor, and ammo going into the next area, which makes a huge difference.

Last edited:
My opinion on it hasn't changed since they first announced it and showed a few screenshots. It only makes sense on console (old gen vs new gen). On PC it's not worth bothering with.

Anyway, just finished Doom Eternal on Ultra Violence and though it was a tough battle at times, a lot of it felt easier than my first run on Hurt Me Plenty because I didn't know the game very well. The last boss fight alone the first run took me about as long as the whole Final Sin level on this run

Yeah, but I was hoping the Graphics to be much better than what they have implemented now in COD MW 2. Some textures are sharp though, but there is nothing next-gen about them.

Btw, Nice Video played on "Ultra Violence". Quite challenging it seems. BTW, has anyone even played this game on "ULTRA-NIGHTMARE" and "EXTRA LIFE Mode" difficulties ? This is going to be INSANE for sure...

Lol, I want to try the Ultra Nightmare and Extra Life Mode, and see how far I can even progress in the game. :eek: I wonder how much weapon AMMO are these difficulty levels going to feature. The ammo will be scarce though, imo.

By the way, on some other news, it looks like we are going to get a "Remaster" copy of both MAFIA 2 and MAFIA 3. The developers are planning to overhaul these 2 games. DSOG found this latest tweet. mafia 2 would be nice to play in a remaster edition, because I really didn't like Mafia 3, honestly speaking.

The official Twitter account of Mafia tweets after almost two years, hinting at Mafia 2/3 Remasters !!

Last edited:
Yeah, but I was hoping the Graphics to be much better than what they have implemented now in COD MW 2. Some textures are sharp though, but there is nothing next-gen about them.

Btw, Nice Video played on "Ultra Violence". Quite challenging it seems. BTW, has anyone even played this game on "ULTRA-NIGHTMARE" and "EXTRA LIFE Mode" difficulties ? This is going to be INSANE for sure...

Lol, I want to try the Ultra Nightmare and Extra Life Mode, and see how far I can even progress in the game. :eek: I wonder how much weapon AMMO are these difficulty levels going to feature. The ammo will be scarce though, imo.

By the way, on some other news, it looks like we are going to get a "Remaster" copy of both MAFIA 2 and MAFIA 3. The developers are planning to overhaul these 2 games. DSOG found this latest tweet. mafia 2 would be nice to play in a remaster edition, because I really didn't like Mafia 3, honestly speaking.

The official Twitter account of Mafia tweets after almost two years, hinting at Mafia 2/3 Remasters !!

It's pretty common though with graphics remasters that they only make sense for those whom played them on older gen consoles.

Thanks for the kind words, yeah it was a tough battle in some places, but also easier in places just knowing better how to play it and what to expect. I'm not sure I'll even bother trying to beat it on UN though. The closest I've ever come to that is beating Dead Space 2 on Hardcore where they give you 3 save points you can make/use for the whole game.

If they can make a Mafia 3 remaster look as good as it does with NyCLix's ReShade mod, AND make it bug free, I'd be interested for sure.

Last edited:

Trigg3rHippie

Honorable
Aug 22, 2014
I've been playing War Thunder for 7 years now but also like BeamNG.drive Spintires, Mudrunner and now playing Snowrunner so simulation would be my main genre.
Big fan of the Mass Effect trilogy, or new Fallout games from Bethesda (except for 76 of course).
DOOM, Borderlands series.
An overlooked gem that I'd recommend: The Darkness 2