[SOLVED] When do I need to use the 4-pin connector on my Motherboard?

Pablix360

Honorable
Jun 21, 2015
I have recently purchased a Asus ROG B550 Strix-F motherboard and it has a 8 pin connector like my previous motherboard, but also a 4 pin connector next to it. While building the computer on pcpartpicker.com it mentions this as a warning saying that my PSU does not have a cable/slot for the 4 pin connector. My PSU is Corsair RMx 650 W.

Currently I am running Ryzen 5 3600 and GTX 1080 Ti FE. I will be wanting to upgrade to Ryzen 5 5600x once it is in stock in the UK as well as a RTX 3070 or RTX 3080 depending on my budged after purchasing the new CPU - on this I am also wondering what I should upgrade first, the CPU or GPU?

Will I need to replace my PSU so it supports the 4 pin connector before I purchase the new graphics card or the new CPU?

Thanks,

Solution
You do not have to plug that extra 4 pin CPU power connector on the board. The 8 pin is more than enough for running the system.

That extra 4 pin is there for extreme overclocking. You know overclocking using liquid nitrogen and stuff :)

You're totally fine without it.

If you're upgrading to a RTX 3070 or 3080 and a Ryzen 5600X your 650 Watts should be enough since it's a good model. Total draw at full load will be like ~ 500 watts for the system with a 3080 and 5600X.
You do not have to plug that extra 4 pin CPU power connector on the board. The 8 pin is more than enough for running the system.

That extra 4 pin is there for extreme overclocking. You know overclocking using liquid nitrogen and stuff :)

You're totally fine without it.

If you're upgrading to a RTX 3070 or 3080 and a Ryzen 5600X your 650 Watts should be enough since it's a good model. Total draw at full load will be like ~ 500 watts for the system with a 3080 and 5600X.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aceracer21
Solution