[SOLVED] When will the CPU become the bottleneck for 4k gaming?

joejackson700

Commendable
Dec 21, 2020
I know the gpu is the bottleneck right now but I want to get a cpu that will continue to run 4k as well and as long as possible. Is it worth it to buy the 5900x now because it will continue to run better in 4k in the future or would something like the 3600x run just as well and last just as long as the 5900x? I don't want to have to change out a cpu and I want to know if one of them will perform better far into the future for gaming. Thank you

Last edited:
Solution
I want to hit 120 fps on a 120 hz 4k tv. Would that make any difference with cpus in 5-10 years? I will upgrade my graphics card in the future.
I’d be surprised if any cpu from today will still be pushing 120fps in 5 years time. One of the best gaming CPU’s 5 years ago the 7700k is equivalent to entry level CPU’s today. The 5600x is a great cpu, the 5800x gives some extra headroom for the future with 2 extra cores and 4 extra threads. It’s really hard to justify the 5900x for gaming. Every chance that by the time the extra cores and threads of the 5900x become beneficial in games that the cores are generally weak by comparison to other CPU’s available at that time.

Your are most likely better off buying a 5600x now and...

joejackson700

Commendable
Dec 21, 2020
Resolution has little to do with cpu workload. 60fps at 1080p will be similar or the same workload as 60fps at 4K. CPU workload is closely related to your target FPS, if aiming for 150fps the cpu workload will be greater than 60fps.
I want to hit 120 fps on a 120 hz 4k tv. Would that make any difference with cpus in 5-10 years? I will upgrade my graphics card in the future.

allidsarebusy

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2016
:oops: Mate i think you're traveling way to far in to the future. Hitting 120 FPS on 120Hz 4K TV will require e very substantial investment in your graphic card.
Price of descent CPU will look like a change, and even more so if you sell your old CPU and GC.

I’d be surprised if any cpu from today will still be pushing 120fps in 5 years time. One of the best gaming CPU’s 5 years ago the 7700k is equivalent to entry level CPU’s today. The 5600x is a great cpu, the 5800x gives some extra headroom for the future with 2 extra cores and 4 extra threads. It’s really hard to justify the 5900x for gaming. Every chance that by the time the extra cores and threads of the 5900x become beneficial in games that the cores are generally weak by comparison to other CPU’s available at that time.

Your are most likely better off buying a 5600x now and saving money and then buy a new platform in a few years time instead of trying to buy an over the top cpu today and trying to make it last 5-10 years.

Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
no one can tell you what things will look like in one year. much less 5-10.

you want top of the line 4k gaming, which will require top of the line gpu for sure. and a decent cpu to feed it. you can look at the history of other resolutions to see roughly how things go. at one point 100 fps at 1080p took top of the line but now it's mid range to do it.
4k will be just like the rest. once higher res is a thing and the gpu power goes up, then 4k will become the new 1080p and can be done with lesser hardware at that point in the future.

when will that be? your guess is as good as mine there. how will todays hardware stack up against 5 years from now? your guess is as good as mine.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure why you would need 120 FPS on a 4K TV since most TV's have high input lag. That sort of defeats the need for high FPS.

The limiting factor right now is still the video card depending on the game.

If I was buying for that right now (again really no video card able to do it unless it something like CSGO) I would probably buy a 10700K and call it a day it should last a long time or spend the extra for the 10900K if you just must.

EDIT the higher resolution don't really put more stress on the CPU just the video card.

For this question
When will the CPU become the bottleneck for 4k gaming?
Probably never.

Don't count on any processor you buy today lasting 10 years.

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Not so anymore. OLED TV’s have very low input lag and there pixel response times are better than other types of display making them a great choice for smooth responsive gaming displays.
Not really up on the latest TV's all the ones I seen have had high input lag making a actual monitor a much better choice.
It still don't change the answer just the input lag part.

EDIT with the way top AAA games are going trying to be more and more lifelike not sure video cards will ever catch up.
Of course the next big thing could be a direct connect to your head so you actually see the game with nothing for a monitor.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2838871

I’d be surprised if any cpu from today will still be pushing 120fps in 5 years time. One of the best gaming CPU’s 5 years ago the 7700k is equivalent to entry level CPU’s today.

Hahah... yep. I built my 7700k PC in April 2017... and built my 10900k PC to replace it a month ago... not quite 4 years later. Those 4 cores / 8 threads were great 4 years ago... now... not so much.

Not so anymore. OLED TV’s have very low input lag and there pixel response times are better than other types of display making them a great choice for smooth responsive gaming displays.

You can say that again. Not only the choice for gaming performance but for visuals too. I have the 48" LG CX OLED display for the new PC... and the 77" CX in my home theater. Out of this world good. That new game "The Medium" with all it's dark black scenes looks absolutely stunning on the OLED.

EDIT with the way top AAA games are going trying to be more and more lifelike not sure video cards will ever catch up.
Of course the next big thing could be a direct connect to your head so you actually see the game with nothing for a monitor.

Already there if you want to live your PC live with a VR helmet attached. :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator: