Question Whenever I turn on games on my PC, there's a chance of my (both) monitors to go black and lose display.

Feb 20, 2022
Whenever I turn on games on my PC, there's a chance of my (both) monitors to go black and lose display.

Now, I won't say my PC crashes or the OS crashes entirely. I can still hear songs or my friends on discord (if I'm listening to songs or lets say, was in game with my buddies).

I doubt if it's a hardware issue because I built my PC for multitasking. And surprising or not it started to occur suddenly after I water cooled my GPU (co-incidental or not).
Just in case, I've already tried reinstalling drivers, windows setups and no, there are no overheating issues on my hardware. The highest temperature I've noticed were 71C and 56C for my CPU and GPU respectively via MSI AFTERBURNER.

Some of my friends told me it just might be a storage issue, and it might not be impossible as my SSD shows a health of 44% and my HDDs are 8 and 16 years old.

For the information here are my specs
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
GPU : Nvidia GTX 1080
CPU Cooler : Deepcool L240R
GPU Cooler : Thermaltake Riing 3.0 120
GPU Cooler bracket : NZXT Kraken G12
RAM : G.Skill 16*2 GB
SSD : Gigabyte 224GB
HDD : Toshiba DT01ACA100
HDD 2 : Hitachi 100 GB (pretty old, can't remember the model)
PSU : Walton 750W Gold (I would also doubt if it's a PSU issue.. but feel free to share your thoughts)

Thanks in Advance!

Ralston18

Titan
"I turn on games on my PC, there's a chance of my (both) monitors to go black and lose display."

Meaning that the problem is intermittent - correct?

What do you do to recover the displays? Reboot, unplug monitors....?

Will one monitor "stay on" if you disconnect the other? Try each monitor individually.

What video connections are you using between GPU and monitors?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or informational events that may have been captured at the times the monitors went black.

Especially any errors, etc. that started appearing after you installed the DeepcoolL240R.

Puttputt7

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2013
Having the same issue with a completely different rig., unplugging cables, and really everything but turning the computer off does nothing to bring the signal back. Mine isn't even affected by gaming. Happens on chrome or wherever.

Feb 20, 2022
"I turn on games on my PC, there's a chance of my (both) monitors to go black and lose display."

Meaning that the problem is intermittent - correct?

What do you do to recover the displays? Reboot, unplug monitors....?

Will one monitor "stay on" if you disconnect the other? Try each monitor individually.

What video connections are you using between GPU and monitors?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or informational events that may have been captured at the times the monitors went black.

Especially any errors, etc. that started appearing after you installed the DeepcoolL240R.
actually no, the GPU is cooled by a Thermaltake Riing 3.0 120 paired with a NZXT Kraken G12.
And actually in order to bring the monitors back to life I had to reboot the system entirely and both of my monitors went offline whenever this phenomena occured.

But on the brighter side of life, I fixed it myself :DD thanks a lot anyways for the help! It was actually a misalignment of the coolers as it was touching a IC and volla xD
But regards!

Feb 20, 2022
Having the same issue with a completely different rig., unplugging cables, and really everything but turning the computer off does nothing to bring the signal back. Mine isn't even affected by gaming. Happens on chrome or wherever.
try checking your CPU cooler. Mine happened due to that apparently and I would agree, at times my PC crashed just coz i opened too many browser tabs.
But on the brighter side of life my PC is fixed so, if you need help I'll be around!

Mar 3, 2022
I'm having the exact same issue and it just started this week. GPC never exceeds high 60s and CPU never exceeds mid 60s. I'll be running 100+ fps and then both monitors go out (turn off/lose power/no loss of signal display). Sounds/keystrokes still work (i.e. pause menu noises) but monitors will not turn back on until I reboot. Both monitors are connected through displayport and I haven't changed anything whatsoever. I have tried disconnecting one/both, makes no difference. These are games I've been playing for years in some cases with no issues, but now this week it's done it with two consistently. I had not updated drivers for over a month, but updating is something I've already tried with no luck.

Rig is only 2 years old but here's my specs in case it helps:

CPU : i7-9700K
GPU : ASUS RTX 2080 Super
CPU Cooler : NZXT Kraken X52
Fans: Riing Trio 120mm TT Premium
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z390-P ATX
RAM : Patriot Viper Elite 16GB DDR4/3200MHz
SSD : WD Green SSD 240GB
HDD : WD Green 4TB
PSU : 800W - Standard 80 Plus Gold Certified

I don't believe heat management is an issue, never has been and I was monitoring CPU/GPU temps on the second monitor today to see if I could catch spikes and found nothing over the high 60s. I'm pretty sure the power supply is more than sufficient and all disks are showing no errors. Hell, I've even blown out dust for good measure. I don't think it was a recent update because it just started doing it this week and only when I play games (ones this rig has been proven to handle no problem in the past). I'm honestly stumped on what to try next. Any tips?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts