Where are all the science fiction-based RPGs?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Allan C Cybulskie <allan.c.cybulskie@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>> The real problem is that he keeps changing his definition of sci-fi in
>> order to refute someone, e.g. from
>>
>> "I have always defined Science Fiction as a futuristic view of
>> humanity's (i.e. people on or from Earth) state of affairs as
>> influenced by the realistic applications and consequences of
>> science and technology as we may or may not know them today."

>> "There are no space ships, no aliens (Well, there's that spoof about
>> a crashed UFO), no otherworld colonies, no advanced technologies,
>> blah blah blah, you get the picture."

>Didn't he say this in the same post, though? Hard to say he changed it in
>that case, isn't it?

Could be, I suppose. In that case, he either doesn't know what
his own definition is, or he changed his mind in the space of
one post, or the first, pretty reasonable definition he gave
was not his full definition of the term.

Pete

shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote in

> On 2005-04-19, Marcel Beaudoin <mbeauINVALID@Sympatic.INVALID.ca> wrote:
>> Greg Johnson <greg.gsj@gmail.com> wrote in

>>> Well, go and download it now from http://sc2.sourceforge.net/
>>> It's well worth a try, and the multi-platform remake seems pretty
>>> bug-free to me. There's a reason many people have it on their personal
>>> 'Best games of all time' lists.
>>
>> Cool!!! Thanks. Downloading and installing as I type.
>
> How complete is this? The website mentions they're only missing
> intro/out movies and "slideshows"
>
> Is the game completely playable?

Not sure. My 6 week old daughter woke up right as I sent the above message,
and I never got back to finish installing/playing the game. When I get home
tonight, I will give it a shot...

--
Marcel
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/

Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
>Blabbus Blabbibicus <blabbus@talk.com> looked up from reading the
>entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
>say:
>
>>On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 19:37:17 +0100, GSV Three Minds in a Can
>><GSV@quik.clara.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>Bitstring <1113759585.591519.137210@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, from
>>>the wonderful person Alex Mars <alexmars@aol.com> said

>>>Does Deus-Ex count?
>>
>>Deus Ex is a FPS! And so is System Shock 2. Although honestly
>>they're both kinda in the greyzone between genres.
>
>Have you ever actually played System Shock 2?
>3 "classes"
>Stats (and development of them)
>Skills (and development of them)
>Quests
>Inventory management
>Even Spell like abilities (Psionics)
>
>How in the hell do you claim this isn't an RPG?

What kind of choices can you make that define the role you have taken
on?

Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> looked up from reading the entrails of

>Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
>>Blabbus Blabbibicus <blabbus@talk.com> looked up from reading the
>>entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
>>say:

>>>Deus Ex is a FPS! And so is System Shock 2. Although honestly
>>>they're both kinda in the greyzone between genres.
>>
>>Have you ever actually played System Shock 2?
>>3 "classes"
>>Stats (and development of them)
>>Skills (and development of them)
>>Quests
>>Inventory management
>>Even Spell like abilities (Psionics)
>>
>>How in the hell do you claim this isn't an RPG?
>
>What kind of choices can you make that define the role you have taken
>on?

Your stats, your skills and abilities, your equipment.
In short, the same few things that most crpgs let you choose.

Face it, most crpgs have exactly the same meta choices in exactly the
same places regardless of what "class" you're playing, if you're given a
choice at all (see ARX Fatalis and it's cutscenes where your decisions
are made for you.)
All you really get to choose is your stats, abilities (spells) and
equipment.

Xocyll

Blabbus Blabbibicus <blabbus@talk.com> wrote:
>On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 00:42:09 +0100, John Secker
><john@secker.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>>Alot of the other ones you mentioned (With the exceptions of
>>>MegaTraveller, Omicron and Buck Rogers) are unfamiliar to me so I
>>>can't comment on them, but I'm ssure most fall into other genres.
>>>
>>Well if you are going to exclude such an obvious Sci-Fi RPG as Fallout,
>>then I'm sure you will come up with a very small number. Personally I
>>would add Eve to the above list, but no doubt you wouldn't.
>
>What's science-fiction about a post-nuclear RPG? Sure the game has
>laser weaponry, but does that make it science fiction in the classic
>sense of the word? There are no space ships, no aliens (Well, there's
>that spoof about a crashed UFO), no otherworld colonies, no advanced
>technologies, blah blah blah, you get the picture.

It speculates on the consequences of the application of a certain
science. Things are not sci fi just because they are in space. Eg a
space opera where the "advanced" technology is applied in the exact same
manner as it would if it were our contemporary equivalent (like space
ships that dog fight as if they were still in the atmosphere) is not sci
fi.

>I dunno, maybe I just have more defined genre definitions than most
>people here. :-/
>
>And even if you did include all of the games everyone mentions (Even
>the ones that are over 10 years old) that still leaves an incredibly
>small number of sci-fi-based RPGs compared to the usual fantasy types.
>
>It would be nice if someone could commen on/answer my original
>question instead of attacking my choice of definition and terminology,
>i.e. Where are all the science fiction-based RPGs?. :p Or, 'Why are
>there so few of them?'

Maybe hand to hand combat is easier to convert into an abstract form.
Maybe the amount of existing fantasy material means it takes less
creativity to make a fantasy game. The number of fantasy RPGs that don't
borrow heavily from other fantasy settings is probably less than the
number of sci fi RPGs.

In article <fc5661h1rjbvk3nrsslgibfbolljja7gb2@4ax.com>,
Raymond Martineau <bk039@ncf.ca> wrote:

>System Shock 2, on the other hand, involves an RPG style of character
>development and thus qualifies for RPG status. There isn't any character
>interaction, but this is generally overlooked.

System Shock 2 had as much character interaction as, say, Ultima II.
It's just that in U2 the characters were signposts and in SS2 they're
dead.

(In fact, ISTR one of the game developers saying essentially the same
thing about the original System Shock: "We have NPCs -- they're just
all dead.")

--
Kyle Haight

Bitstring <2d4a6152dg4q7dvgrvfvo3sheg425rcd04@4ax.com>, from the
wonderful person Darth Frog <sherlog@t-online.de> said

<snip much hilarity>

>Rather than fighting the misuse of the SF label - which would be farting in
>the wind - it is probably better to translate it as "Somewhat Futuristic"
>and move on. :^) For Morrowind we could translate "RPG" to "Role-Playing
>Gizmo", as there would be a problem with matching letters in "Role-Playing
>Gandbox" or "eaRly Prerelease Gode".

Thanks for that. You have single-handedly justified my decision not to
kill the thread just yet, despite some excellent excuses to do so. 8>.

I should probably point out that on rec.arts.sf.written the 'sf' means
'speculative fiction' which includes fantasy, alternate history, horror,
and ScF (Science Fiction) (and the sub-genres science fantasy, space
opera, etc. etc.)

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can

John Secker in <9$RZwyDF89YCFwmp@secker.demon.co.uk>:

> This was in response to your criticism of Morrowind in which you
> suggested that it was in some way lacking because it wouldn't be
> a classic RPG if you took away the stats and the quests.

Well, the point is that somebody *did* take away the stats and quests from
Morrowind, at least in the copy that I bought. The attribute/skill system
was utterly loony and the only enjoyable quest series was that for Ajira
(Balmora). The rest was mostly fetch this and deliver that, lots of travel
and finding needles in haystacks. The quests in Tribunal were nice enough,
but Bloodmoon started well and then it then got even worse than the
original campaign.

Obviously, there is no pigeon-hole for "prototype sandbox with nice scenery
and lore which sadly lacks something resembling a game" (perhaps I should
also mention the hundreds of lovingly hand-placed cups and knives that
Bethesda is always so proud of, the famous 18 rolling pins, and a receipt
that can be redeemed for an extra comfy pillow if you know exactly how to
beat the b0rken script). So one could either invent a new category like RPS
(role-playing sandbox) or take the one which is the least mis-match, RPG,
which is what most people seem to do.

It is similar with "science fiction". It seems that many things which are
thus labelled nowadays are simply futuristic fantasy or space soap. But in
my eyes it takes a it more than lightsabres and spaceships to make science
fiction, and the glowsticks are in fact quite incompatible with SF per se.

Early SF tried to extrapolate science/technology (a la Jules Verne) but now
it is less about the nuts and bolts and more about the *consequences* of
science and technology (Isaac Asimov) or about humans/humanity in the
future (John Wyndham). Unless we are talking pulp with futuristic props,
e.g. Hans Dominik for classics and much of what we see in the West today.

shadows wrote:

> On 2005-04-19, Marcel Beaudoin <mbeauINVALID@Sympatic.INVALID.ca> wrote:
> > Greg Johnson <greg.gsj@gmail.com> wrote in

> >> Well, go and download it now from http://sc2.sourceforge.net/
> >> It's well worth a try, and the multi-platform remake seems pretty
> >> bug-free to me. There's a reason many people have it on their personal
> >> 'Best games of all time' lists.
> >
> > Cool!!! Thanks. Downloading and installing as I type.
>
> How complete is this? The website mentions they're only missing
> intro/out movies and "slideshows"
>
> Is the game completely playable?

It's been winnable since v0.2 .

--KG

nostromo

Thus spake Gerry Quinn <gerryq@DELETETHISindigo.ie>, Tue, 19 Apr 2005
09:40:24 +0100, Anno Domini:

>In article <L6idnVtwbI0Eh_nfRVn-3Q@comcast.com>, jgarvin2004
>@comcast.net says...
>> Konrad Gaertner wrote:
>
>> > Right. Star Wars doesn't include any of that mystic mumbo-jumbo like
>> > FTL, telekenesis, or ghosts.
>>
>> Hyperspace isn't FTL travel. Hyperspace is a totally differant animal
>> than Warp Drives. The idea is that you move to another dimension that
>> is faster to travel in (for a variety of reasons) than moving around at
>> 3x10^8.
>
>And how do you generate the momentum that moves you into this
>dimension?

You don't need to - you create an instance of a virtual black hole in front
of you using dark matter by tearing the fabric of space & harnessing the
quantum fluctuations into a self-looping wormhole; then you just fall
through the dimensional mobius loop into the event horizon at massive
acceleration until you're past the mass threshold to jump into hyperspace -
at that point you 'wink out' the black hole & pop out at the other end of
wherever you want to go. Easy.

Noobs...sheeezzz!!!

>It's about as realistic as going back to breakfast time by throwing a
>concrete block into Thursday!

Now you're just playing with words ;-)

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

scarecrow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 09:42:14 +0100, "Richard Wingrove"
<rich@privacy.net> wrote:

>"Blabbus Blabbibicus" <blabbus@talk.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Okay, I'm giving up on responding to all the arguments about what
>> constitutes a science fiction-based RPG. Everyone has their opinions
>> I suppose and I have no interest in changing them whatever they may
>> be.
>>
>> Whatever your definitions of Sci-Fi or a RPG, it would be interesting
>> if I'd get a respone as to why there are so few of them compared to
>> the usual fantasy-based variety.
>>
>> Is it because RPGing started as a computer-based alternative to
>> fantasy-bassed P&P gaming or is it just that sci-fi isn't as popular
>> as fantasy?
>
>I guess the recent lack of them might be down to game companies jumping on
>bandwagons - the Bioware games and Diablo did pretty well compared to sci-fi
>games like SS1/2 (talking about these in a general sense now, to avoid the
>RPG/action stuff going on in the rest of the thread), so the people at the top
>making the decisions are more likely to okay spending cash on fantasy games
>rather than risking a sci-fi one.

This is a good point. There is also the problem that some of the
Sci-fi themed p&p games that could have been developed for the PC were
tied up in licensing hell. Or were ported to game play that wasn't
(even loosely) considered RPG.

******************************
* _ *
* _/_\_ *
* __\"/__ *
* "--\_/--" Dr. Syn, Alias: *
* /_\ *
* //|\\ The Scarecrow *
* "` | `" *
*jgs __|__ *
******************************

In article <clp96157k98c4s1lqt7ut0q4asa6lnfhqk@4ax.com>,
nostromo@spamfree.net.au says...
> Thus spake Gerry Quinn <gerryq@DELETETHISindigo.ie>, Tue, 19 Apr 2005
> 09:40:24 +0100, Anno Domini:

> >And how do you generate the momentum that moves you into this
> >dimension?
>
> You don't need to - you create an instance of a virtual black hole in front
> of you using dark matter by tearing the fabric of space & harnessing the
> quantum fluctuations into a self-looping wormhole; then you just fall
> through the dimensional mobius loop into the event horizon at massive
> acceleration until you're past the mass threshold to jump into hyperspace -
> at that point you 'wink out' the black hole & pop out at the other end of
> wherever you want to go. Easy.

Damn! <slaps forehead>

It's the simple things you always miss...

- Gerry Quinn

Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
>Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> looked up from reading the entrails of
>the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
>
>>Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
>>>Blabbus Blabbibicus <blabbus@talk.com> looked up from reading the
>>>entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
>>>say:

>>>Have you ever actually played System Shock 2?
>>>3 "classes"
>>>Stats (and development of them)
>>>Skills (and development of them)
>>>Quests
>>>Inventory management
>>>Even Spell like abilities (Psionics)
>>>
>>>How in the hell do you claim this isn't an RPG?
>>
>>What kind of choices can you make that define the role you have taken
>>on?
>
>Your stats, your skills and abilities, your equipment.
>In short, the same few things that most crpgs let you choose.

The role you play in the story is the things you do that affect the
story.

>Face it, most crpgs have exactly the same meta choices in exactly the
>same places regardless of what "class" you're playing, if you're given a
>choice at all (see ARX Fatalis and it's cutscenes where your decisions
>are made for you.)
>All you really get to choose is your stats, abilities (spells) and
>equipment.

Playing a different class doesn't have to give you a different role in
the game, which proves your claim that choosing stats is the same as
choosing your role is false.

Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> looked up from reading the entrails of

>Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
>>Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> looked up from reading the entrails of
>>the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>>>What kind of choices can you make that define the role you have taken
>>>on?
>>
>>Your stats, your skills and abilities, your equipment.
>>In short, the same few things that most crpgs let you choose.
>
>The role you play in the story is the things you do that affect the
>story.

Really? What real choices do you have in most CRPGS?

Hell, by that definition, Wing Commander would be an RPG, since
success/failure have different paths through the game - including losing
the game entirely.

>>Face it, most crpgs have exactly the same meta choices in exactly the
>>same places regardless of what "class" you're playing, if you're given a
>>choice at all (see ARX Fatalis and it's cutscenes where your decisions
>>are made for you.)
>>All you really get to choose is your stats, abilities (spells) and
>>equipment.
>
>Playing a different class doesn't have to give you a different role in
>the game, which proves your claim that choosing stats is the same as
>choosing your role is false.

And what choice of role do you really have in most CRPGs, none.

Take Baldur's Gate - it's doesn't matter a bit what class you are, or
your stats/skills, it's the same story every time.

That's the difference between Crpg and rpg, a very limited amount of
possible outcomes and very little _real_ choice, since each and every
impact on the story would have to be mapped out.

Are you good or evil? Are you a magic user or a warrior?
In most crpgs it makes no difference at all to the overall story.

That's what I said before (and you quoted), the meta-choices are the
same regardless of class/alignment/skills/stats and in a large number of
crpgs boil down to Do A then B, or do B then A, which isn't really a
choice at all.

But feel free to list all those CRPGs in which your choices actually
have a real effect on the story.

Xocyll

Scarecrow wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 09:42:14 +0100, "Richard Wingrove"
> <rich@privacy.net> wrote:
>

>>"Blabbus Blabbibicus" <blabbus@talk.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Okay, I'm giving up on responding to all the arguments about what
>>>constitutes a science fiction-based RPG. Everyone has their opinions
>>>I suppose and I have no interest in changing them whatever they may
>>>be.
>>>
>>>Whatever your definitions of Sci-Fi or a RPG, it would be interesting
>>>if I'd get a respone as to why there are so few of them compared to
>>>the usual fantasy-based variety.
>>>
>>>Is it because RPGing started as a computer-based alternative to
>>>fantasy-bassed P&P gaming or is it just that sci-fi isn't as popular
>>>as fantasy?
>>
>>I guess the recent lack of them might be down to game companies jumping on
>>bandwagons - the Bioware games and Diablo did pretty well compared to sci-fi
>>games like SS1/2 (talking about these in a general sense now, to avoid the
>>RPG/action stuff going on in the rest of the thread), so the people at the top
>>making the decisions are more likely to okay spending cash on fantasy games
>>rather than risking a sci-fi one.
>

> This is a good point. There is also the problem that some of the
> Sci-fi themed p&p games that could have been developed for the PC were
> tied up in licensing hell. Or were ported to game play that wasn't
> (even loosely) considered RPG.

Like the Wheel of Time? "I know, let's turn this into.... a shooter!"

Rich

nostromo

Thus spake Gerry Quinn <gerryq@DELETETHISindigo.ie>, Wed, 20 Apr 2005
08:34:53 +0100, Anno Domini:

>In article <clp96157k98c4s1lqt7ut0q4asa6lnfhqk@4ax.com>,
>nostromo@spamfree.net.au says...
>> Thus spake Gerry Quinn <gerryq@DELETETHISindigo.ie>, Tue, 19 Apr 2005
>> 09:40:24 +0100, Anno Domini:
>
>> >And how do you generate the momentum that moves you into this
>> >dimension?
>>
>> You don't need to - you create an instance of a virtual black hole in front
>> of you using dark matter by tearing the fabric of space & harnessing the
>> quantum fluctuations into a self-looping wormhole; then you just fall
>> through the dimensional mobius loop into the event horizon at massive
>> acceleration until you're past the mass threshold to jump into hyperspace -
>> at that point you 'wink out' the black hole & pop out at the other end of
>> wherever you want to go. Easy.
>
>Damn! <slaps forehead>
>
>It's the simple things you always miss...
>
>- Gerry Quinn

I was testing you. You forgot the bit about instantiating a virtual black
hole behind yourself when you pop out to decelerate. Tsk, tsk! ;-p

It gets more complicated as you're likely to travel too far from the event
horizon of the 'exit hole' by the time you slow down, so then you're not
likely to have enough energy/range to wink the exit hole out (i.e. assuming
entry/exit aren't symmetrical, due the conservation of energy throughout the
semi-closed system). So, what you have to have is a never ending string of
travelers leap-frogging each other like a game of spoons with one hole
always leftover in transit.

But, the reality will probably be that much more strange than
theory...*sigh*. ;-)

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

nostromo

Thus spake Scarecrow <banshee@2hee.com>, Wed, 20 Apr 2005 01:22:04 -0500,
Anno Domini:

>On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 09:42:14 +0100, "Richard Wingrove"
><rich@privacy.net> wrote:
>

>>"Blabbus Blabbibicus" <blabbus@talk.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Okay, I'm giving up on responding to all the arguments about what
>>> constitutes a science fiction-based RPG. Everyone has their opinions
>>> I suppose and I have no interest in changing them whatever they may
>>> be.
>>>
>>> Whatever your definitions of Sci-Fi or a RPG, it would be interesting
>>> if I'd get a respone as to why there are so few of them compared to
>>> the usual fantasy-based variety.
>>>
>>> Is it because RPGing started as a computer-based alternative to
>>> fantasy-bassed P&P gaming or is it just that sci-fi isn't as popular
>>> as fantasy?
>>
>>I guess the recent lack of them might be down to game companies jumping on
>>bandwagons - the Bioware games and Diablo did pretty well compared to sci-fi
>>games like SS1/2 (talking about these in a general sense now, to avoid the
>>RPG/action stuff going on in the rest of the thread), so the people at the top
>>making the decisions are more likely to okay spending cash on fantasy games
>>rather than risking a sci-fi one.
>
>This is a good point. There is also the problem that some of the
>Sci-fi themed p&p games that could have been developed for the PC were
>tied up in licensing hell. Or were ported to game play that wasn't
>(even loosely) considered RPG.
>
>******************************
>* _ *
>* _/_\_ *
>* __\"/__ *
>* "--\_/--" Dr. Syn, Alias: *
>* /_\ *
>* //|\\ The Scarecrow *
>* "` | `" *
>*jgs __|__ *
>******************************

Hey look everyone it's baby-bateau (like the mini-me of sigs roflmao!)

--

Xocyll wrote:

> But feel free to list all those CRPGs in which your choices actually
> have a real effect on the story.

Star Control 2

--KG

Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
>Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> looked up from reading the entrails of
>the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
>
>>Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
>>>Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> looked up from reading the entrails of
>>>the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>>>Your stats, your skills and abilities, your equipment.
>>>In short, the same few things that most crpgs let you choose.
>>
>>The role you play in the story is the things you do that affect the
>>story.
>
>Really? What real choices do you have in most CRPGS?

Which faction you support.

>Hell, by that definition, Wing Commander would be an RPG, since
>success/failure have different paths through the game - including losing
>the game entirely.

And by your definition System Shock 2 is an RPG.

>>>Face it, most crpgs have exactly the same meta choices in exactly the
>>>same places regardless of what "class" you're playing, if you're given a
>>>choice at all (see ARX Fatalis and it's cutscenes where your decisions
>>>are made for you.)
>>>All you really get to choose is your stats, abilities (spells) and
>>>equipment.
>>
>>Playing a different class doesn't have to give you a different role in
>>the game, which proves your claim that choosing stats is the same as
>>choosing your role is false.
>
>And what choice of role do you really have in most CRPGs, none.
>
>Take Baldur's Gate - it's doesn't matter a bit what class you are, or
>your stats/skills, it's the same story every time.

I never claimed Baldur's Gate was an RPG.

>That's the difference between Crpg and rpg, a very limited amount of
>possible outcomes and very little _real_ choice, since each and every
>impact on the story would have to be mapped out.
>
>Are you good or evil? Are you a magic user or a warrior?
>In most crpgs it makes no difference at all to the overall story.

Then why do you call them RPGs?

>That's what I said before (and you quoted), the meta-choices are the
>same regardless of class/alignment/skills/stats and in a large number of
>crpgs boil down to Do A then B, or do B then A, which isn't really a
>choice at all.
>
>But feel free to list all those CRPGs in which your choices actually
>have a real effect on the story.

They don't have to affect the end of the story, just what happens in
between is fine.

In article <gb9c61tk2p5pqa4n1rqln7us692i947u4p@4ax.com>,
nostromo@spamfree.net.au says...
> Thus spake Gerry Quinn <gerryq@DELETETHISindigo.ie>, Wed, 20 Apr 2005
> 08:34:53 +0100, Anno Domini:

> >> You don't need to - you create an instance of a virtual black hole in front
> >> of you using dark matter by tearing the fabric of space & harnessing the
> >> quantum fluctuations into a self-looping wormhole; then you just fall
> >> through the dimensional mobius loop into the event horizon at massive
> >> acceleration until you're past the mass threshold to jump into hyperspace -
> >> at that point you 'wink out' the black hole & pop out at the other end of
> >> wherever you want to go. Easy.

> >Damn! <slaps forehead>
> >
> >It's the simple things you always miss...

> I was testing you. You forgot the bit about instantiating a virtual black
> hole behind yourself when you pop out to decelerate. Tsk, tsk! ;-p

Still getting momentum trouble here. Imagine we reduce the universe to
a two dimensional sheet in a 3D hyperspace. You and everything you can
manipulate live entirely in the 2D sheet.

You want to get out of the sheet on the assumption that you can travel
faster outside of it. Even if this is true, nothing you do can give
you momentum away from the sheet.

And if you do somehow leave it, how do you get back?

- Gerry Quinn

Gerry Quinn wrote:

> In article <gb9c61tk2p5pqa4n1rqln7us692i947u4p@4ax.com>,
> nostromo@spamfree.net.au says...
>
>>Thus spake Gerry Quinn <gerryq@DELETETHISindigo.ie>, Wed, 20 Apr 2005
>>08:34:53 +0100, Anno Domini:

>>>Damn! <slaps forehead>
>>>
>>>It's the simple things you always miss...
>

>>I was testing you. You forgot the bit about instantiating a virtual black
>>hole behind yourself when you pop out to decelerate. Tsk, tsk! ;-p
>

> Still getting momentum trouble here. Imagine we reduce the universe to
> a two dimensional sheet in a 3D hyperspace. You and everything you can
> manipulate live entirely in the 2D sheet.
>
> You want to get out of the sheet on the assumption that you can travel
> faster outside of it. Even if this is true, nothing you do can give
> you momentum away from the sheet.
>
> And if you do somehow leave it, how do you get back?

Why technology of course!!! ;-)

nostromo

Thus spake Gerry Quinn <gerryq@DELETETHISindigo.ie>, Thu, 21 Apr 2005
10:28:32 +0100, Anno Domini:

>In article <gb9c61tk2p5pqa4n1rqln7us692i947u4p@4ax.com>,
>nostromo@spamfree.net.au says...
>> Thus spake Gerry Quinn <gerryq@DELETETHISindigo.ie>, Wed, 20 Apr 2005
>> 08:34:53 +0100, Anno Domini:

>> >Damn! <slaps forehead>
>> >
>> >It's the simple things you always miss...
>
>> I was testing you. You forgot the bit about instantiating a virtual black
>> hole behind yourself when you pop out to decelerate. Tsk, tsk! ;-p
>
>Still getting momentum trouble here. Imagine we reduce the universe to
>a two dimensional sheet in a 3D hyperspace. You and everything you can
>manipulate live entirely in the 2D sheet.
>
>You want to get out of the sheet on the assumption that you can travel
>faster outside of it. Even if this is true, nothing you do can give
>you momentum away from the sheet.
>
>And if you do somehow leave it, how do you get back?
>
>- Gerry Quinn

Ahhhh, but space is not 2D - that's just a model! The black hole's massive
gravity well pulls you in (every molecule & elementary particle) *evenly*;
as your length contracts to that of the singularity (tidal forces aside :)
you are in all places in the universe at the same time & can 'pop' anywhere
you like! Now, the real question is: if you pop can you stop? >8^D

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

nostromo

Thus spake Richard Wingrove <noone@privacy.net>, Wed, 20 Apr 2005 17:05:59
+0100, Anno Domini:

>Scarecrow wrote:
>> On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 09:42:14 +0100, "Richard Wingrove"
>> <rich@privacy.net> wrote:
>>

>>>"Blabbus Blabbibicus" <blabbus@talk.com> wrote in message

>>>I guess the recent lack of them might be down to game companies jumping on
>>>bandwagons - the Bioware games and Diablo did pretty well compared to sci-fi
>>>games like SS1/2 (talking about these in a general sense now, to avoid the
>>>RPG/action stuff going on in the rest of the thread), so the people at the top
>>>making the decisions are more likely to okay spending cash on fantasy games
>>>rather than risking a sci-fi one.
>>

>> This is a good point. There is also the problem that some of the
>> Sci-fi themed p&p games that could have been developed for the PC were
>> tied up in licensing hell. Or were ported to game play that wasn't
>> (even loosely) considered RPG.
>
>Like the Wheel of Time? "I know, let's turn this into.... a shooter!"
>
>Rich

But a damn good, scary shooter 'twas! And the Citadel mode was the most
underrated multiplay option in a fps (hybrid or otherwise) *ever* - sheer
brilliance pandering to the wrong crowd. Oh well...

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> looked up from reading the entrails of

>Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
>>Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> looked up from reading the entrails of
>>the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>>>The role you play in the story is the things you do that affect the
>>>story.
>>
>>Really? What real choices do you have in most CRPGS?
>
>Which faction you support.

Gee that's funny since in most CRPGs there aren't any factions for you
to choose between or any real choices to make.

>>Hell, by that definition, Wing Commander would be an RPG, since
>>success/failure have different paths through the game - including losing
>>the game entirely.
>
>And by your definition System Shock 2 is an RPG.

It fits the profile.

>>>Playing a different class doesn't have to give you a different role in
>>>the game, which proves your claim that choosing stats is the same as
>>>choosing your role is false.
>>
>>And what choice of role do you really have in most CRPGs, none.
>>
>>Take Baldur's Gate - it's doesn't matter a bit what class you are, or
>>your stats/skills, it's the same story every time.
>
>I never claimed Baldur's Gate was an RPG.

You may not have but it's used time and again as an example of one.

>>That's the difference between Crpg and rpg, a very limited amount of
>>possible outcomes and very little _real_ choice, since each and every
>>impact on the story would have to be mapped out.
>>
>>Are you good or evil? Are you a magic user or a warrior?
>>In most crpgs it makes no difference at all to the overall story.
>
>Then why do you call them RPGs?

I call them CRPGs, you know since they're on a computer and don't have a
real person making all the behind the scenes decisions.

Putting it on a computer means it has to be more limited then a
human-human RPG, because the computer can't improvise or change the
story when you did something unexpected.
The storyline is by nature fairly linear, because it has to be.

The choices of class/stats/skills are still the player's choice for
their role in the story.
That role doesn't have to have world shaking consequences, nor does it
have to be particularly different from another's choices for the same
role.

The fact that most CRPGs have the Hero off doing something that does
have vast consequences, doesn't mean that what the Hero's class is has
to be important.
Joe Blow slays the Dragon, defeats the Necromancer and saves the day!
Does it really matter if Joe Blow is a Paladin or a Wizard or a Juggler?
NO, all that matters is that he was the hero that saved the day.

>>That's what I said before (and you quoted), the meta-choices are the
>>same regardless of class/alignment/skills/stats and in a large number of
>>crpgs boil down to Do A then B, or do B then A, which isn't really a
>>choice at all.
>>
>>But feel free to list all those CRPGs in which your choices actually
>>have a real effect on the story.
>
>They don't have to affect the end of the story, just what happens in
>between is fine.

I note you aren't listing all those CRPGs that fit YOUR definition.
Is that because there aren't any? Or because they are a tiny minority of
what the gaming public, game companies and media call CRPGs?

Xocyll

In article <pu3f61p3qsjqgl4ckp8kgmcac2qobv1sle@4ax.com>,
nostromo@spamfree.net.au says...
> Thus spake Gerry Quinn <gerryq@DELETETHISindigo.ie>, Thu, 21 Apr 2005

> >Still getting momentum trouble here. Imagine we reduce the universe to
> >a two dimensional sheet in a 3D hyperspace. You and everything you can
> >manipulate live entirely in the 2D sheet.
> >
> >You want to get out of the sheet on the assumption that you can travel
> >faster outside of it. Even if this is true, nothing you do can give
> >you momentum away from the sheet.
> >
> >And if you do somehow leave it, how do you get back?

> Ahhhh, but space is not 2D - that's just a model! The black hole's massive
> gravity well pulls you in (every molecule & elementary particle) *evenly*;
> as your length contracts to that of the singularity (tidal forces aside :)
> you are in all places in the universe at the same time & can 'pop' anywhere
> you like! Now, the real question is: if you pop can you stop? >8^D

Surely (if we are assuming that the disconnect between general
relativity and quantum theory persists to such a degree, a dubious
concept) it is your _momentum_ that approaches infinity if your
position is fixed exactly? So maybe you would bounce out at close to
the speed of light, but I can't see any reason why you should be
everywhere at once...

- Gerry Quinn