[SOLVED] Which Cable Should I Use For 144Hz Gaming?

Jul 15, 2021
Okay, this is a re-post but I will try to explain myself better this time: My old GPU was a 970 that had DVI, VGA and HDMI. My old monitor was an ASUS VG 278 HV (it had 144hz but they could only be accessed through DVI or VGA, no matter what HDMI cable I'd use, be it HDMI 1.x or 2.1 , the 144Hz just would NOT work through HDMI, I think the monitor's bandwidth wouldn't allow it, it really is a very old monitor... 10-12 years old). I recently upgraded to a 1080ti , but the 1080ti only had DP and HDMI , and since my monitor had NO DP entrance I could NOT play at all on my old monitor at 144hz, so I had to buy a new monitor too. I bought an Acer EQ220 (by far the cheapest NEW 144hz FHD monitor I could find...). I know have a 2.1 HDMI cable and a 1.2 DP cable. Is there any reason to use one over the other or it really won't make any noticeable difference in the real world? All of my friends say that DP is the better choice, but the DP is an older type of cable (1.2) meanwhile the HDMI is 2.1 (the last HDMI port made) and I am kind of a noob when it comes to these kind of things. So must I choose one over the other or may I go with whichever I please? To be fair , I can NOT notice any difference between them.

Solution
Hi, so basically DP cable is used to get your more refresh rate than than HDMI
DP supports more than 144hz and HDMI is limited to 144hz only so you can use HDMI cable for your 144hz monitor.
DP will only be useful for you if you have 165hz or 240hz and your monitor supports G-Sync other than that i see no reason to use one over another.
So yeah use HDMI

hadiahmed29

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
DP supports more than 144hz and HDMI is limited to 144hz only so you can use HDMI cable for your 144hz monitor.
DP will only be useful for you if you have 165hz or 240hz and your monitor supports G-Sync other than that i see no reason to use one over another.
So yeah use HDMI

Solution
Jul 15, 2021
So yeah use HDMI
Will do, thanks for clearing it out for me!