Which card should i get ??

Felipemf

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
:hello: hey guys im thinking about getting a new vga and i got like 250 to 400 dollars to spend , i have beein looking around but i really cant decide which card to pick ... i use my computer 24h per day and i game alot at 1680x1050 , im looking for high performace card and i really need a card that dosent heat up , since i live in brazil and its often 40-42 celcius everyday and since i dont have really good spot to set my case whit good ventaliton and stuff ... so a low heating card is optimal .

anyhow i need to decide between the following cards >> gtx 275 // gtx 285 // HD 4890 // HD 5870

thanks for now , and sorry if my english isn't perfect since it isn't my main language .

Felipemf

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
what about brands ? at the moment the only gtx brands i found was galaxy , bfg , zotac ... the gtx 285 from galaxy looks cool , i wonder if its better then the other about cooling the heat .

Attila_the_pun

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
the biggest differences in brands is potentially a different cooler and warranty. Brands such as xfx and visiontek have lifetime warranties but usually cost a bit more.

Felipemf

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
yes i wish i could find those cool Galaxy GTX285 , but the only gtx 285 im able to buy around here is galaxy gtx 285 model : 85TGF1HU1QUZ , and zotac gtx 285 model : ZT-285E3LA-FSP

cobot

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Are you serious? Recommending GTX285 when there are 5850/5870's out there? Shame on you!

To the OP: get a 5850 or a 5870 if the rest of your compy can handle them - as always, make sure you get a brand with a good cooling solution.

cobot

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Don't forget either cobot, you turn on tesselation in DX11 (ssao) and the framerates on the ati cards go down to a crawl. The 5770 hasn't a chance to run, the 5850 is over it's head, and the 5870 loses 25% at minimum - and the "thicker dark lines" on your gamescreen are the "big benenfit" that does not even look better, according to most, it looks worse.
So much for "dx11".
Just turn the features off now if you buy ati. Turn PhysX off, turn off the ssao compute tesselation, don't make use of the dx11 or it's cripple time. Don't edit videos, make movies. Don't install CCC. Do install dot net 2.0 or you can't install the ati card CCC. LOL
Forget it !

*sigh* Fanboys - they are everywhere, aren't they? And they're just as bad, regardless if they are green or red.

Please go away.

cobot

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
*sigh*

Felipmf. The 285 is not the best choice. There is nothing wrong with the card itself, usually it's just too expensive for what you get.
If you find a good deal then go for it, but you will get better performance from a 58-series card.

You will also get good performance from a gtx 275 or a 4890. You can't really go very wrong with either of them.

Check the tom charts:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-310-5970,2491.html

Of course, you'll have to take into account that the prices may be different in Brazil.

Edit: high-end cards run hot. That's a fact and unfortunately something that comes with being on the top. :) You will just have to make sure you have a good cooling solution.

It's interesting how you claim that the 5870 is too hot and loud.

My most resent card was a Diamond 5870, which isn't even considered a great brand, it is the coolest and quietest card I've had sinse cards had fans installed on them. (it seems to go to 70C and increases the fan to prevent it going beyond that, and the fan has never had to go beyond 34%).

(I've never done liquid cooling mind you.)

I can barely hear my computer ever since I installed it, which hasn't been the case for my last 4-5 computer builds which usually had nvidia cards.

TheVoid

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
Just to add, I have had 3 ATi cards die on me, and 0 nvidia cards. The first was a 9800pro, the second was a x800xt AIW, and the third was a x1900gt. I am currently running 2 asus 9800 ultimates in SLI with 2 monitors and its smooth as silk in every game ive tried. This includes Assassins Creed, Batman:AA, STALKER, Far Cry 2, Crysis, as well as others. All at 1920x1080 with full AA and AF. My framerate never falls below 30. My card temps never exceed 80c in sunny hot Florida.

Situation in the US at the moment,
GTX260-216 Some good deals out there between $160-200
GTX275 Overpriced for its performance level
GTX285 Overpriced for its performance level
HD4890 Some good deals out there between $160-200
HD5870 Overpriced because of bigger demand than supply

So - like I said - be careful who you listen to - becareful about what you are being told.

A good sentiment. :sarcastic:

Seriously, you should hear, or rather, try to hear my video card. It really is insanely quiet.

I seriously question where you get your info.

Thinking about it, I bet I know where the leafblower comment came about. When you first install the card, and don't have the drivers installed, it runs the fan at 100% (as did my 9800 GT by Nvidia), but once the drivers are installed, the fan dials back to about 20% unless under load, then it usually hits near 30% and at the highest I've ever seen, 34%.

Just to give you something to back up my claim on it being nearly silent, here is a review of 4 cards which by this review, has them identical.

This is what was said in this review: "Unlike previous cards, however, the Radeon HD 5870 also has two more small vents at the back of the card that force some air to be vented within the system. The cooler used on the 5870 is much like the one used on the Radeon HD 4890, although it is tuned to be somewhat quieter. When first powered up, the cooler’s fan briefly spins at its maximum rpm and can be quite loud; it eventually spins down after a few seconds to near-silent levels. We should also note that throughout testing, even after many hours of straight, nonstop benchmarking with the Radeon HD 5870 cards installed into a generic midtower, the cooling fan never spun up fast enough to be considered noisy. In fact, if it wasn’t for the noisy power-up, we’d consider the Radeon HD 5870 nearly silent. "

It's from a review here:

http://www.computerpoweruser.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles%2Farchive%2Fc0913%2F06c13%2F06c13%2Easp&articleid=60131

Look under the part where it lists Similarities

Do you not find it possible that they got a defective card? Or they only gave you a noise based on extremely odd testing methods (they turned the fan to full rather than use it under normal conditions)?

All I did was do a search on the card and that was the first review I got other than the typical newegg reviews from customers.

Under normal use, it's a quiet card and you have never tried it to know better, have you? Even with that test, the difference in noise was very close to each other (look at the graphic).

Anyways, by the chart you showed, it's at most 6% louder. Is that really a big deal, especially considering it's over 50% faster.

Do you consider the 285 loud? For a 6% increase in sound to be horribly loud, the 285 would also have to be horribly loud or very close to it.

I live in California, and while it might not be quite as hot as where he is, I don't seem to have any issues.

As it even states in that artical, the 5870 is the quietest and coolest card while idle. Does it not say that? This is good for someone who keeps his computer on 24/7.

It's only a "leafblower" at boot for a couple seconds, since he doesn't ever turn the computer off, it remains quiet. When idle, it's within 1% of the same decibels as your precious 285 and is within 6% under load.

I personcally do believe that something is defective on that card, or it's drivers, as I have never seen it go beyond 71C with 34% fan speed. Take it or leave it, this is real world test.

It's funny how you are calling me a fanboy, giving your obvious fanboyism for Nvidia.

The interesting thing is I also use a 9800GT in another machine, and this one used to have a 8800GT (the real leaf blower), I had a Radeon 9800 pro before that, and a 6800 GT before that.

As you might see, I don't have a preference. I merely popped in here because you are spreading a bit too much hatred for a card that works quite well and not at all noisy. Or rather, it is 6% noisier than the 285gt.

p.s. I do not own or plan to own Batman, but if I did, I'd toss in my old 8800 GT and load up some old drivers for phyX.