Question Which CPU is used in the newest model cars that offer the latest camera sensing/auto-steering-assist and auto-breaking technology?

SeriousGaming101

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2016
Car companies with the latest technology like Toyota's Safety Sense 3.0/Honda Sensing/Subaru EyeSight/Tesla's AutoPilot

These technologies help the car driver with auto-wheel-steering and auto-breaking. But I am wondering, what processor (CPU) is used in these cars?

1. Do these car companies use Intel or AMD chips? And if not, how does the CPU speed inside these cars compare to Intel's i9/AMD's Ryzen 9 processors?

2. Which CPU is used in the front-middle screen of the car?(Does that app-screen use a different CPU than the car's camera sensing/auto-breaking/auto-steering technology? Or is all the car's technology run through a single CPU?) I have noticed that these large touch screens are slower than my PC computer/iphone/ipad when using car apps.

3. Should I be worried since the car's middle touch screen is slow, that the decisions made by the car's auto-steering/auto-breaking made in split-second decisions won't be that fast/efficient while driving on the highway or if something runs in front of my car suddenly in less than 5 seconds?

4. Do these cars have a single CPU to run everything like a PC Computer or have multiple CPUs for each different feature?

5. Is there a way to benchmark which of the CPU's in the cars are faster and find the speed delta percentage difference between Toyota's Safety Sense 3.0/Honda Sensing/Subaru EyeSight/Tesla's AutoPilot?

USAFRet

Titan
There are multiple processors in a car, and they run different parts.

They are specialized, not directly comparable to the Intel/AMD in your PC.

Performance in any one area is also highly dependent on the underlying code. The radio touchscreen has little or nothing to do with the EyeSight functionality.

Reactions: Order 66

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
There are multiple processors in a car, and they run different parts.

They are specialized, not directly comparable to the Intel/AMD in your PC.

Performance in any one area is also highly dependent on the underlying code. The radio touchscreen has little or nothing to do with the EyeSight functionality.

I don't mean to necropost, but what CPU do the infotainment systems in cars have? I know tesla's essentially have the power of a PS5 in the infotainment system.

USAFRet

Titan
I don't mean to necropost, but what CPU do the infotainment systems in cars have? I know tesla's essentially have the power of a PS5 in the infotainment system.
Read this for Ford:

Reactions: Order 66