Question Which DAC/AMP for Hyperx Alpha

Nov 20, 2019
Hello!
I recently bought HyperX Alpha headset, I connect it to my desktop computer (B360M D3H Gigabyte motherboard) I did some research and I found that it has Realtek ALC 887 Audio card.
My issue is that the sound that comes from the headset is low, not as big as I expected, even when I max all my audio settings. And yes I have the latest drivers and everything installed. And using (Realtek High Definition Audio) as the main driver.
My usual needs are music and gaming, and I was planning to get External DAC/AMP, not only for this model of Hyperx, but for even more powerful editions if I ever wanted to replace it.
Do you guys recommend (FiiO E10K USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier) Or are there better & affordable options under 100$?

Nov 20, 2019
Under 100 Euro is tough. I recently got a schiit magni 3 amp. Its very good and you could work with that and see later if you even need a dac. A good alternative would be the JDS lab atom.
Maybe try to get one used off ebay.
Thank you for your reply!
I've seen people saying that this fiio (under 80$) would be enough and even provide more power for even better headsets, and there are many other options and I don't know, My knowledge is 0 when it comes to dacs and amps, I don't even know which one of them I would need, or whether I need solid state one or the tube one.
Excuse me, I'm a complete noob in this field.
What I also need is clearer audio, schiit magni amp won't make my audio clearer, no? Since many people said that any external dac would sound better than the built-in one in motherboards

Last edited:

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
I got a schiit modi 2 dac and the already mentioned magni 3 amp. At the moment you got your onboard solution. At first you will need an amp to drive your headphones. It will just work like a regular amplifier and will improve your audio significantly. But if the signal going into the amp is of bad quality there is only so much you can do. A DAC will tackle that problem.

I would start with an amp and then add a dac if the result is insufficient.

Reactions: Dex99
Nov 20, 2019
I got a schiit modi 2 dac and the already mentioned magni 3 amp. At the moment you got your onboard solution. At first you will need an amp to drive your headphones. It will just work like a regular amplifier and will improve your audio significantly. But if the signal going into the amp is of bad quality there is only so much you can do. A DAC will tackle that problem.

I would start with an amp and then add a dac if the result is insufficient.
Thank you again!
1- Do you recommend 2 in 1 devices? AMP + DAC in one device?
2- How to tell if the signal going into the amp is of a bad quality (How to tell that I need a dac, later)
3- I wanna use my headset's microphone, does this amplifier have microphone solution? (A socket that supports Headphone + Microphone or, supports Y splitter?

Nov 20, 2019
Get the Mayflower ARC DAC/amp. It has built in mic support and the schiit does not. None of theirs do
I checked the product, it costs 250$, kinda out of my budget for amp/dac, please, any other good solutions under 150$ with a microphone input that you can recommend?
And do you think I will need a dac, my audio on my motherboard is Realtek ALC 887
Thank you!

D

Deleted member 14196

The magni and modi are 350$. Good luck

Probably don’t even need one with you’re on board audio hyper X do not require it. Get the cloud 2. It has built in dac

Nov 20, 2019
The magni and modi are 350$. Good luck

Probably don’t even need one with you’re on board audio hyper X do not require it. Get the cloud 2. It has built in dac
I'll replace my alpha later for a more powerful headset, no need for the cloud 2.
By the way, I'm sorry, but, what is the schiit modi that you mentioned? What does it do?
And how do people even connect amp to DAC (If both are two different devices)

D

Deleted member 14196

here is the Magni amp for 99 dollars
https://www.schiit.com/products/magni-1

magni3-step-front-1920.jpg

and the Modi Multibit DAC for $250. You could just get the Modi for $99 but that is still out of budget

https://www.schiit.com/products/modi-1

Modi-Multibit-front.jpg

1. Modi 3: All The DAC You Need—For $99
    Plug Modi 3 into any virtually any computer with the included USB to micro cable and you’re ready to go. Or, choose and optical or coaxial digital source with the included wall power supply. Or connect to your phones and tablets that need a low-power-draw device, again using the wall power supply. That’s right—Modi 3 accepts pretty much any input you can throw at it! Featuring the AK4490 DAC and DC-coupled output, Modi 3 delivers great sound far above its price.
  2. Modi Multibit: The Most Affordable True Multibit™ DAC
    Modi Multibit is the most affordable multibit DAC with a modern architecture—from any manufacturer, from any country in the world. Featuring Schiit’s unique digital filter, and using the same Analog Devices AD5547 multibit DAC as Bifrost, Modi Multibit smashes the high-price barrier in multibit DACs. Like Modi 3, Modi Multibit accepts USB, optical, and coaxial digital inputs.
  3. Need Volume Control? No Problem.
    If you’re using headphones, just add a Magni for adjustable volume via its preamp outputs. No headphones? Just add a SYS Passive Preamp for analog volume control.
as you can see, it it has no integrated MIC support. I personally have the Modi Multibit DAC and the Magni Amp and love them, but that Mayflower ARC is a super nice integrated system that works with PC, MAC, and Game Consoles

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 20, 2019
you could go with ModMic

https://antlionaudio.com/

that way get the headset you really want and pair it with a mic. Your onboard should be ok for normal headphones, don't get anything high impedence yet until you can afford the ARC
Thank you a lot for your concern.
Hyperx has a single jack in its end, and an attachment of Y Splitter (Optional for desktop users)
Will inserting the single jack (Which carries both, headphones signals and microphone) to the Schiit, cause any bugs? Because Schiit accepts only headphones single port with only headphones signal, I mean, will it ignore microphone signals and no bugs will occur?
Because I think I'll just buy another microphone, a dedicated one, instead of the one that the hyperx uses, and directly connect it to my motherboard.

D

Deleted member 14196

nope, won't work. Mic needs it's own input. Sorry. I have the HyperX Cloud 2 and the mic is fantastic. no need to replace, buy the headset and test it. if you need a better mic, just do that.

Nov 20, 2019
nope, won't work. Mic needs it's own input. Sorry. I have the HyperX Cloud 2 and the mic is fantastic. no need to replace, buy the headset and test it. if you need a better mic, just do that.
That means I should look for dac/amp that has 2 inputs like prodigy cube black edition, right?
Schiit has only one input that takes headphones only

Nov 20, 2019
Hello! I really appreciate your help, excuse my completely newbie question. I have Hyperx Alpha, I will upgrade it soon to DT 990.

My on-board ALC 887 seems unable to make my volume high enough, it is high, it does not annoy me that much, but when I max it, it's not as it should be, (all the drivers are installed and all).

I did much research but I still have some questions that are not clear to me.
My questions:
1- Do amplifiers only make volume higher? (The answer is important, because I care more about the sound's quality now, my volume level is not very low, so, I can sacrifice that for the moment, relatively low volume doesn't annoy me at the moment)

2- I understand that DACS convert Digital signals to Analog. Will it make any difference to the sound quality though?

3- At the moment, at higher bitrates, I do not feel any noise in my headphones, I fear it might only be because my headphones are not even working at their best potential, and once I connect them to good amplifier I would notice the noise. So, do I need DAC too?

4- Please, I need your assistance, if I have to buy amplifier/dac combo, what do you recommend? Is there a better option than Schiit Fulla 3 & under 100$?

5- Again, will I feel any difference in the overall sound quality if I'll buy this amplifier/dac with my Hyperx Alpha and DT 990?

Last edited: