[SOLVED] which is best dual wan gigabit router? suggest plz.

Jaiff

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2015
Hello,

I am using Cisco RV042 Dual VPN wan router for the last 7years but now I want to upgrade its max bandwidth support is 100mbps.
now I am having 300mbps + 50mbps plan in my office but it is only giving me around 80mbps.

So now I have to buy a new one which is a gigabit router I have seen some like Cisco RV325K9NA, LinkSys LRT 224etc..
So please suggest the best dual wan gigabit router which can support more than 500mbps.

Thanks.

Solution
It all depends on what you are going to do in addition to dual wan.
Pretty much any router can do wan/lan at full gigabit speed because of feature that allow the NAT function to bypass the CPU chip.

As soon as you start adding any feature that needs the CPU chip to see the packets you must turn this feature off. Just doing that with nothing else will drop even the best consumer routers to 300mbps or less. If you start adding things like content filters or firewall rules it drops even lower.
If you plan on using VPN it will greatly reduce your speed since it is so cpu intensive. You are going to need something with a very powerful CPU to be able to run 500mbps of vpn traffic. Most times you are better off using a PC and...
Pretty much any router can do wan/lan at full gigabit speed because of feature that allow the NAT function to bypass the CPU chip.

As soon as you start adding any feature that needs the CPU chip to see the packets you must turn this feature off. Just doing that with nothing else will drop even the best consumer routers to 300mbps or less. If you start adding things like content filters or firewall rules it drops even lower.
If you plan on using VPN it will greatly reduce your speed since it is so cpu intensive. You are going to need something with a very powerful CPU to be able to run 500mbps of vpn traffic. Most times you are better off using a PC and loading one of the many linux firewall/router images.

Now if you need nothing special other than dual wan most Asus routers have that feature. Many tplink routers also have it but not as many as asus.

Be aware dual wan really only works well for primary/backup internet. Trying to use both connections is very complex and you can not actually combine them to get a faster download on a single file. You can download 2 different files but you can not use a both connections to download single files.

Solution
If you're used to the Cisco RV series, I would just get the newer one in that series like the rv340 that can basically do full gigabit.

At the rv340's price point though, I would highly encourage you to step up from small business routers into enterprise routers like those from Fortigate, Watchguard, etc, which can be found used for around the same price as the rv340, but are in a whole new league in terms of reliability and performance.

I cut my teeth on multi-wan back in 2004 with the rv016 and dealt with its growing pains until it simply wasn't fast enough (still have it). And once I discovered the world of enterprise routers, there's been no turning back as they are much more stable and reliable than any smb product from cisco or netgear has been.

Jaiff

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2015
Besides dual WAN, is there anything else that you need (ports count, PoE, LACP, etc..)?
What's your budget?

If you plan on using VPN it will greatly reduce your speed since it is so cpu intensive. You are going to need something with a very powerful CPU to be able to run 500mbps of vpn traffic. Most times you are better off using a PC and loading one of the many linux firewall/router images.

Now if you need nothing special other than dual wan most Asus routers have that feature. Many tplink routers also have it but not as many as asus.

Be aware dual wan really only works well for primary/backup internet. Trying to use both connections is very complex and you can not actually combine them to get a faster download on a single file. You can download 2 different files but you can not use a both connections to download single files.

I just want it to use for fail over and load balancing only and also itbshould be gigabit router can support bandwidth around min 500mbps. I don't want to use for any other purpose like vpn or else. My budget is around $300.

Load balancing doesn't really work too well. You could run some machines on one connection and other machines on the other. Anything else is going to be lots of work. The example i normally give that most people on this forum know is say you log into a games authentication server using connection 1. You then attempt to connect to the world server using connection 2. Since the connections have different IP addresses the game company will think you are a hacker and disconnect you. Lately google and other companies have their stupid captcha crap. If you open web pages using both connections you will likely get captcha. You also will likely get security warning from web sites that use cookies. It really isn't security their stupid ad tracking is getting confused. You can try it but it works very poorly without you telling the router exactly which traffic goes on which connection.

If that is all you want you need nothing real special. Not needing the VPN makes things a lot easier. You likely can use a $100 consumer router, there likely are even ones for $50. Almost all asus models support dual wan. A lot of tplink ones do. There are bunch of more commercial devices from ubiquiti and others than can do it also.

In this case I would read the online manuals and see which you like the configuration options the best. Since almost every router uses a hardware accelerator you can easily get 500mbps even from a $50 router. The main difference is going to be wifi abilities and maybe some other software feature only you can put a value on. Be aware things like parent controls and other similar feature many times require you to disable the hardware accelerator. If you do not need these feature it will make finding a router much simpler.