[SOLVED] Which is the better option i5 4570 or i7 2600 both same price

belowzero95

Reputable
Sep 26, 2015
Hi, So I have found both those processors for the roughly the same price I was just wondering which is better in terms of performance for gaming and editing. Also which socket would be better in terms of upgrading down the road. The i5 4570 has an LGA1150 socket and the i7 2600 has an LGA1155 socket. The types of games I'll mostly be playing are not to intense more like GTA 5, Fortnite and other medium intense games. Which CPU would give better performance in terms of all those above?

Last edited:
Solution
So I have found both those processors for the roughly the same price I was just wondering which is better in terms of performance for gaming and editing.

Does each processor come with a motherboard, and if so what chip-set are they (or do you happen to own an 1150 and 1155 motherboards)?

Also which socket would be better in terms of upgrading down the road.

Neither platform has too many options for a real upgrade down the road.

The fastest processor for 1150 is 4790k which can be overclocked on a z87 and z97 motherboards between 4.6Ghz and 4.8Ghz. This is a potent 4core/8 thread CPU with great overclocking headroom which compares favorably to 6700k and 7700k cpus. This would have been my choice if I already had a z97...

gtarayan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
So I have found both those processors for the roughly the same price I was just wondering which is better in terms of performance for gaming and editing.

Does each processor come with a motherboard, and if so what chip-set are they (or do you happen to own an 1150 and 1155 motherboards)?

Also which socket would be better in terms of upgrading down the road.

The fastest processor for 1150 is 4790k which can be overclocked on a z87 and z97 motherboards between 4.6Ghz and 4.8Ghz. This is a potent 4core/8 thread CPU with great overclocking headroom which compares favorably to 6700k and 7700k cpus. This would have been my choice if I already had a z97 motherboard with decent DDR3 RAM kit. Keep in mind that 4790k still fetches $200 +/- on ebay. (for an SFF system i7 5775c is sweet but expensive)

1155 platform's best CPU is 3770k which can be overclocked in P67, Z68, and Z77 motherboards between 4.4Ghz and 4.8Ghz but closer to 4.5. You can also run 2600k and 2700k processors in those boards at up to 5GHz (in a quality Z77 board). These CPUs are pretty cheap and still plenty fast.

I wouldn't spend money on either platform if you are building from a scratch unless the price is no more than $200 for motherboard/CPU/16gb ram combo, and at that price-point I'd make sure you a getting a quality Z77/Z87/Z97 board.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution

belowzero95

Reputable
Sep 26, 2015

The fastest processor for 1150 is 4790k which can be overclocked on a z87 and z97 motherboards between 4.6Ghz and 4.8Ghz. This is a potent 4core/8 thread CPU with great overclocking headroom which compares favorably to 6700k and 7700k cpus. This would have been my choice if I already had a z97 motherboard with decent DDR3 RAM kit. Keep in mind that 4790k still fetches $200 +/- on ebay. (for an SFF system i7 5775c is sweet but expensive)

1155 platform's best CPU is 3770k which can be overclocked in P67, Z68, and Z77 motherboards between 4.4Ghz and 4.8Ghz but closer to 4.5. You can also run 2600k and 2700k processors in those boards at up to 5GHz (in a quality Z77 board). These CPUs are pretty cheap and still plenty fast.

I wouldn't spend money on either platform if you are building from a scratch unless the price is no more than $200 for motherboard/CPU/16gb ram combo, and at that price-point I'd make sure you a getting a quality Z77/Z87/Z97 board.
Hi, I'm planning on buying an old office pre-built and building on that so both of these prebuilt are identical in terms of parts except the motherboard and CPU which are both different. I was just wondering which would be better in terms of performance and which would be a better upgrade down the road which is a few years or such. I think there proprietary boards

As far as upgrades, neither really stand out. Both dead end platforms with zero actual upgradability.

As far as performance, the i7 would probably be the way I'd go. You may give up a little single core performance but gain hyperthreading which can help.

If you plan on upgrading an old prebuilt, make sure whichever you do buy has a standard atx power supply. As a lot of proprietary stuff doesn't. No sense in buying one you cannot throw a gpu in because you're stuck with a craptastic power supply. Proprietary power supplies can be upgraded, but may be very hard to find the correct adapters. If they're even available. Which is why you need a standard psu.

gtarayan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
I'm planning on buying an old office pre-built

Yikes - don't spend more than $100!

You should check if the manufacturer has an updated BIOS to support the processors I referenced earlier. the 1150 variant is equipped with an original Haswell (i5 4570), and might not support Haswell update (which 4790k is). If this is the case, the best you can do is 4770k - but then the motherboard is unlikely to support overclocking in a budget machine so it would only make sense to upgrade to i7 4770 (basically 4570 plus extra 200Mhz and hyperthreading).

Likewise, the 1155 variant might not have the updated BIOS to support Ivy Bridge cpus such as 3770k. In that case, 2600 is pretty much already the best you can get as i7 2700 is marginally better.

Performance-wise these two are more or less equal. For the same money I'd go for the 1150 variant.

belowzero95

Reputable
Sep 26, 2015
Yikes - don't spend more than $100!

You should check if the manufacturer has an updated BIOS to support the processors I referenced earlier. the 1150 variant is equipped with an original Haswell (i5 4570), and might not support Haswell update (which 4790k is). If this is the case, the best you can do is 4770k - but then the motherboard is unlikely to support overclocking in a budget machine so it would only make sense to upgrade to i7 4770 (basically 4570 plus extra 200Mhz and hyperthreading).

Likewise, the 1155 variant might not have the updated BIOS to support Ivy Bridge cpus such as 3770k. In that case, 2600 is pretty much already the best you can get as i7 2700 is marginally better.

Performance-wise these two are more or less equal. For the same money, I'd go for the 1150 variant.
So you're saying I should go with the i5 4570 because right now I'm not looking to upgrade the CPU, in the end, I'll just build a PC from scratch after that point after the current processor feels obsolete for my needs. Most likely the main upgrades I'll be putting in the office build is a new GPU and more powerful PSU.

belowzero95

Reputable
Sep 26, 2015
As far as upgrades, neither really stand out. Both dead end platforms with zero actual upgradability.

As far as performance, the i7 would probably be the way I'd go. You may give up a little single core performance but gain hyperthreading which can help.

If you plan on upgrading an old prebuilt, make sure whichever you do buy has a standard atx power supply. As a lot of proprietary stuff doesn't. No sense in buying one you cannot throw a gpu in because you're stuck with a craptastic power supply. Proprietary power supplies can be upgraded, but may be very hard to find the correct adapters. If they're even available. Which is why you need a standard psu.
Yeah, of course, I plan on upgrading the psu to be able to support better graphics cards and what applications use single-core performance or multi-core performance

Both games and editing software will use a mixture of both single and multi core. Really depends on the application. Online multiplayer like bfv, cod mw, and similar use as many cores/threads as available, up to 12. Some games will favor a strong single core, but still spread the load. So again, itsvery application dependent.