Which is the better PSU

mpere

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
Hello, everyone,

Im been doing some reseach on power supplies. At this time I'm in the process of building a new rig using spare part I have. I alway wanted to get modular power supply and put in my present computer. I presently have a Cosair TX750 and will use that to power my new rig. The two components I narrow down to are the Ultra X4 750w modular, and the Corsair CMPSU-750AX. I know the corsair is a little more expensive, but I like it's stats. Furthermore, I have been reading on some issues concerning the reliabilty of power supplies by ultra. Some swear by them and others hate them. Can someone in the community which would be the better buy for future upgrade and will 750w be enough.

The components I'd need it to power are:

CM Storm Scout case
WD 750GB Cavair Black
Kingston 2x2gb DDR3 1333 dual channel
ASUS M4A78T-E
Plextor PX-850SA DVD burner
Sapphire 5830 HD 1GB
AMD Phenom II x4 965
3 120mm fan and

Solution
These are the official recommended power requirements based on your graphics card:

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode).

These apply to the whole system not just the card.

As you can see a solid 500W unit will easily power your system. However, you will need more if you wish to crossfire in the future or just want the extra headroom. It may be worth bearing in mind that a PSU is most efficient between 40-60% of it's full load. You'll also have to ensure that your chosen PSU has 2 75W PCI-E connectors for your card.

Recommended units are Corsair, Seasonic and some of the newer Antec models.

Randomacts

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
Get the cosair, you will never look back.

Plus ultras suck.. haha

Its like comparing trash *The ultra*

To Silver *Silver*

Also the cosiar has enough power to let you have all the parts OC and prob still have room for a second card *same one* in sli

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
These are the official recommended power requirements based on your graphics card:

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode).

These apply to the whole system not just the card.

As you can see a solid 500W unit will easily power your system. However, you will need more if you wish to crossfire in the future or just want the extra headroom. It may be worth bearing in mind that a PSU is most efficient between 40-60% of it's full load. You'll also have to ensure that your chosen PSU has 2 75W PCI-E connectors for your card.

Recommended units are Corsair, Seasonic and some of the newer Antec models.

Solution

mpere

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010

Thank you for the advise. Upon further research it seems purchasing the corsair PSU would the best choice I could make. Now my next objective is to save enough to buy a second ATI Radeon hd 5830 and go crossfire and might even try for a
Cooler Master HAF 932 BE.