Question Which laptop should I choose?

zsmaniac19

Commendable
Nov 16, 2017
Hello All,

I am struggling with the age old question of choosing a laptop with some better but older specs or a newer laptop. I will use this Laptop mostly as a workstation PC, using MS office, watching shows, and some very light gaming (Age of Empires 2 HD, Two Point Hospital, etc.)

(Also, as an aside, Microcenter is awesome)

I will list the two below:

Dell Inspiron 15 5593 15.6" Laptop Computer - Silver Intel Core i5-1035G1 Processor 1.0GHz; 8GB DDR4-2666 RAM; 256GB Solid State Drive; Intel UHD Graphics - Open Box Price is $450.96

(https://www.microcenter.com/product/612170/dell-inspiron-15-5593-156-laptop-computer---silver?ob=1)

Or,

HP Pavilion 15-cs2073cl 15.6" Laptop Computer Refurbished - Blue Intel Core i7-8565U Processor 1.8GHz; NVIDIA GeForce MX250 4GB GDDR5; 16GB DDR4-2400 RAM; 1TB Hard Drive - Sale Price is $479.99

(https://www.microcenter.com/product...2073cl-156-laptop-computer-refurbished---blue)

So here are my personal thoughts and I would love to know what you guys think as well.

The Pros for the Dell are:
Newer i5 processor, NVME hard drive, is cheaper, has a standard screen and has better battery life, 1 year warranty. Plus I personally like Dell over HP
Cons:
No dedicated graphics, less RAM

The pros for the HP are:
The HP has a an older processor but its an i7, it has a dedicated graphics card, 16GB of RAM.
Cons:
it has a 1 TB 5400 RPM HDD, is refurbished, and is slightly more expensive, has a touchscreen, 90 day warranty

I have been losing sleep over this for two days, can some one just give me the definitive right answer? LOL

Any advice is appreciated, Thanks,

Zack

zsmaniac19

Commendable
Nov 16, 2017
Hey, thanks for the reply Joe. I was leaning in that exact same direction, I just was a little wary of the idea of it being refurbished. I don't know how the machine was used before and I don't want any of the parts to wear out. I have purchased a refurbished SSD before and about 1 year later I had to get a new one because it went end of life. Have you had other experience with a completely refurbed system?

Feb 13, 2020
In Refurbs the main issues you will get are the Hard drives and the battery. The hard drives that I see used are older, they just make sure it is working. The batteries are usually those replacement batteries which last about 1 year to a 1.5 years. Every now and them there is an OEM one that doesn't have any issues for a while, but it will keep a charge