Dec 26, 2020
Hi i'm going to change my M.2 Network adapter for my Laptop Asus TUF FA506II. I'm stuck between choosing between two adapters.
  1. Intel Dual Band Wireless 9260
  2. Rivet Networks Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650x
Which one should i choose and why? I currently don't have a ax router? Is it necessary for the second option?. Which one should be best for gaming (ping spikes etc,). My computer has a ryzen processor if it matters.

My reference of band use: 5-ghz

Solution
I have no idea if it would do anything, it is a feature target at business customers.

In general there is no wifi card that is good for gaming. It does not matter how fancy they are they can not solve the problem of a neighbors using his wifi stomping on your signal and damaging the data. Wifi will detect the damage and retransmit the data which is great for every application except for games. The time it takes to retranmit the data causes random latency which causes lag spikes in games. Games would rather have the data discarded.....as long as it is not a lot of data being discarded.
I would avoid anything with killer chipsets. It is not so much the wifi itself it is the software and drivers that have the silly "Gamer" qos stuff. This historically has had massive amounts of bugs and strange errors.

If you do not yet have a ax router can you wait longer. You will get no immediate benefit. Does the card you currently have not function. If you can limp along for say another 6 months there should be much more wifi6e equipment on the market. Wifi6e should be one the best things we have seen in wifi in many years because of all the new bandwidth on the 6g radio. It is not faster or different than wifi6 but this extra bandwidth greatly increases the probability that you can get some radio bandwidth that does not overlap your neighbors.

No wifi is going to fix spikes in gaming. Your only real solution is to not use wifi for games. You want to consider Moca or powerline networks if you can't use ethernet.

Dec 26, 2020
I would avoid anything with killer chipsets. It is not so much the wifi itself it is the software and drivers that have the silly "Gamer" qos stuff. This historically has had massive amounts of bugs and strange errors.

If you do not yet have a ax router can you wait longer. You will get no immediate benefit. Does the card you currently have not function. If you can limp along for say another 6 months there should be much more wifi6e equipment on the market. Wifi6e should be one the best things we have seen in wifi in many years because of all the new bandwidth on the 6g radio. It is not faster or different than wifi6 but this extra bandwidth greatly increases the probability that you can get some radio bandwidth that does not overlap your neighbors.

No wifi is going to fix spikes in gaming. Your only real solution is to not use wifi for games. You want to consider Moca or powerline networks if you can't use ethernet.
Hi thank you for your reply. Its between Intel Ax 200 and intel dual band 9260 then. I cant wait for long since my networkadapter is pretty much unusable. But could you use a ax200 from intel on an regular router? Will it be the same as using the 9260 or would the 9260 have huge benefits here?

The wifi6 stuff is backward compatible. Since you only have 2 antenna in your laptop it will drop back to 2x2 802.11ac assuming your router supports this. Most wifi6 stuff only supports 2 antenna so if you were asking about a desktop card that supports more than 2 the wifi6 card might be slower but in this case they likely are going to be pretty much the same.

Dec 26, 2020
The wifi6 stuff is backward compatible. Since you only have 2 antenna in your laptop it will drop back to 2x2 802.11ac assuming your router supports this. Most wifi6 stuff only supports 2 antenna so if you were asking about a desktop card that supports more than 2 the wifi6 card might be slower but in this case they likely are going to be pretty much the same.
Thank you so much for the reply! Which would you go for incase of speed and latency, for gaming etc. Which would you pick is the question? haha. I see that the ax200 is with vPro and one without, if you would pick this one in this case, would you pick the one with vPro?

I have no idea if it would do anything, it is a feature target at business customers.

In general there is no wifi card that is good for gaming. It does not matter how fancy they are they can not solve the problem of a neighbors using his wifi stomping on your signal and damaging the data. Wifi will detect the damage and retransmit the data which is great for every application except for games. The time it takes to retranmit the data causes random latency which causes lag spikes in games. Games would rather have the data discarded.....as long as it is not a lot of data being discarded.

Solution
Dec 26, 2020

True. But in this case i need a wifi card. Which of these two would you go for in this case of changing wifi card.