[SOLVED] Which motherboard would you choose for i9-13900k: B760, Z690, or Z790?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 1, 2023
Hi everyone,

I'm looking at building a new system. My first build in many years. I was thinking i5-13600k or i9-13900k; currently leaning towards the i9 as I want it to last a good few years.

Which motherboard would you recommend below? Would like built-in Wifi, DDR5 ideal but not a deal breaker. Trying to save on money when possible, as it's easy to overspend IMHO. I'm open to suggestions on other makes and models. Not sure if I'm going to overclock the cpu, but maybe the option to.

Gigabyte B760 Gaming X AX - $169. Gigabyte was my first choice, but then I found out one cannot overclock CPU, and I'm reading reports of coil whine. I'm also not sure if this board can handle the heat from the i9 and GPU.

Asus Prime Z690-P Wifi - Seems like a good buy, currently on sale for $150 on Newegg. But I'm reading Z690s need a bios update to support 13th gen Intel cpu; Asus manual says it supports flash bios with OS, but it doesn't say if the CPU needs to be plugged in to update the BIOS, nor does it say if it needs a dedicated GPU. Manual says to go to BIOS setup program under Tool menu. How does one see this menu if there's no GPU?

FWIW I haven't decided on a GPU yet, figure I get the GPU last while getting the rest built.

MSI Pro Z790-P Wifi - $200 on Amazon. Seems like a decent buy and supports 13th gen cpu out of the box.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
Some thoughts for you:

If you have the budget for a 13900K, buy it and not the 13600k.
If you do not, you will forever second guess yourself wondering.

Do not worry about 13th gen support.7xx series will all have the enabling 13th gen bios.
Even 6xx based motherboards will be ok, 13th gen support was introduced over a year ago and all motherboards made since then will have a current bios. Many Z690 and Z790 motherboards will have a bios flash button that will update the bios without a cpu present.
It is a bit of a scary process since the only communication is via the boot status led's.
Later, do not use windows based flash, use a usb stick instead.
You want to reduce the risk of interrupting the flash.

Today, performance with DDR4...
You can check the bios level on the box but that does not help when you buy it online. In general most z690 boards you buy have been updated since they likely have been manufactured fairly recently. Boards that have the option to update the bios without a cpu chip installed. The different manufactures have different names.

You do want a z chipset for a k cpu. You can easily find the difference between 690 and 790 to decide.

A 13900k needs massive cooling, it is recommended you use something like a 360aio. It can be barely cooled with high end air coolers but a 13900k in the default config will attempt to run at max temp no matter what cooler you use.

You can of course turn down power requirements to reduce the heat but then you might as well consider maybe a 13700k instead.

Jun 1, 2023
You can check the bios level on the box but that does not help when you buy it online. In general most z690 boards you buy have been updated since they likely have been manufactured fairly recently. Boards that have the option to update the bios without a cpu chip installed. The different manufactures have different names.

You do want a z chipset for a k cpu. You can easily find the difference between 690 and 790 to decide.

A 13900k needs massive cooling, it is recommended you use something like a 360aio. It can be barely cooled with high end air coolers but a 13900k in the default config will attempt to run at max temp no matter what cooler you use.

You can of course turn down power requirements to reduce the heat but then you might as well consider maybe a 13700k instead.
The AIO I have picked out is Deepcool LS720 85.85 CFM in a full size Phanteks Enthoo case. You believe this AIO is adequate to cool the 13900k? I'm wanting to play Diablo 4 eventually in pretty high detail fwiw.

If I can find out truly for sure the bios level is already updated, I would be more inclined to get the Asus Z690. Customer service couldn't tell me what bios version is on the board, like you mentioned, since I'm buying online.

Is it true the z chipsets can sustain heat better than non z chipsets?

In someways there is no cooler that can keep up with a 13900k unless you turn the feature off it will keep increasing its clock until it thermal throttles. There are lots of testing sites that looked at this when the 13900k came out.
Then again most "normal" use does not push all cores that hard it tends to be artificial benchmarks. So it depends what you are going to use the machine for. Most people on this forum runs games and that only uses a small number of the cores so you seldom see heat issue on a 13900k.

I am not sure it is heat on z boards they generally have better power so in a way it can run at higher power so it would run at higher heat. You seldom hear issue on the motherboard overheating.

If you have a microcenter nearby you can look at the box before you buy it but with something like newegg you just have to hope the are not selling old inventory. They still are manufacture z690 boards and newegg sells massive quanity so you would think they have sold everything that is more than 6 months old. I would compare the pricing on z690 boards that have the flashback feature to a z790.

Jun 1, 2023
Happy Friday everyone. Anyone here using an Asus Z690 board? Is it easy to update the bios if one doesn't have a 12th gen cpu? I'm also not sure if a distinct gpu is required to update the bios, since the manual directs the user to a menu. Asus customer service wasn't very helpful.

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
Happy Friday everyone. Anyone here using an Asus Z690 board? Is it easy to update the bios if one doesn't have a 12th gen cpu? I'm also not sure if a distinct gpu is required to update the bios, since the manual directs the user to a menu. Asus customer service wasn't very helpful.
unless knowing the full specs of the Asus board its hard to give a clear answer there are 2 options if its a higher end board with a bios flash back button then its possible to flash the bios to the 13th gen cpu's other wise if it doesnt its a 12th gen cpu in update to 13th then 13th gen cpu in ..
Alternatively maybe a local computer shop can do the update for you for a small fee !!

Jun 1, 2023
For those interested, just found this:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em7SRaG3L_0

One of the comments had exact same question I have. For ASUS boards with EZ Flash, if doing a new build and the board needs a bios update before it can support the new cpu generation; there's NO way of doing a bios update without first using a prior gen cpu, or you have to take it in to a local service center, which appears to be a Microcenter. So in my case since I'm doing a new 13th gen cpu build and I don't have a 12th gen cpu on hand, and no microcenter near me, I can't update the bios to use the motherboard.

Jun 4, 2023
If you want to save money, consider a DDR4 board over DDR5. Both the board and RAM should be slightly cheaper and so far the performance gains between DDR4/DDR5 is very small compared to say a better CPU/GPU which is where you'll want to put the extra money. For MSI, I'd suggest the MPG series of boards if possible if you want higher quality and most slots/options. Pro series is a good balance between MPG and the cheaper B series boards, so also a solid option from MSI if you don't feel you need the MPG feature list.

I've heard good about the Asus as well for the most part. As long as it has BIOS flash port on the back, you should be able to update it via USB and without CPU installed.

Anyway, all the boards in this price range are really similar in my experience. It just comes down to a preference. I'm a MSI fan for many years now, but I would not hesitate to use Asus or Gigabyte if the features better meet your requriements.

Jun 4, 2023
MSI, Asrock, Asus, or Gigabyte. Is anyone one board more reliable than the other?

Looking at MSI and a few Asrock boards.
They're all really quite similar. I trust MSI and Asus the most from my builds, but others will swear by Gigabyte or Asrock as well. Last I read, modern mobo's have less than 2% failure rate out of the box on average. Set a budget and list of features you want/require and just choose one based off that.

This seems to go in cycles and every vendor seems to make a massive mistake every now and then. Asus used to be the go to board if you could afford it. After all controversy where they were partially responsible for all the burned up amd boards and then they pretty much came out and said that if you use the features the board was designed for you voided the warranty.

Now that asus has walked back their idiot warranty statements maybe it is a bit better.

I suspect the actual failure rate between the more popular manufactures is similar what is most important is how they handle problems. Pretty much that was the reason you paid the premium for asus....which is why there was so much blow back when they tried to fine print their way out of honoring warranty.

Reactions: Lafong
Some thoughts for you:

Do not worry about 13th gen support.7xx series will all have the enabling 13th gen bios.
Even 6xx based motherboards will be ok, 13th gen support was introduced over a year ago and all motherboards made since then will have a current bios. Many Z690 and Z790 motherboards will have a bios flash button that will update the bios without a cpu present.
It is a bit of a scary process since the only communication is via the boot status led's.

Today, performance with DDR4 and DDR5 is comparable. DDR4 ram and parts are a bit cheaper.
I would have no problem with either.

You will probably find that the Z790 boards will be best. Look for good power delivery and robust vrm cooling.

Ignore the scare stories about how hot a 13900K can be.
They are designed to run hot.
But, exotic cooling is not necessary.
Motherboard makers default to running as strong as they can. You have to work to run cooler/slower.
Here is an interesting article on how a 13900K works with less than top coolers:
In video form:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNFgswzTvyc

Reactions: waynewal
Solution

waynewal

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
Some thoughts for you:

Today, performance with DDR4 and DDR5 is comparable. DDR4 ram and parts are a bit cheaper.
I would have no problem with either.

You will probably find that the Z790 boards will be best. Look for good power delivery and robust vrm cooling.

Ignore the scare stories about how hot a 13900K can be.
They are designed to run hot.
But, exotic cooling is not necessary.
Motherboard makers default to running as strong as they can. You have to work to run cooler/slower.
Here is an interesting article on how a 13900K works with less than top coolers:
In video form:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNFgswzTvyc
Thanks ! REALLY great info.

Status
Not open for further replies.