Question Which of these GCs (AMD RX 6600, RX 6600XT, RX 6650XT) make a good pair with this CPU config?

Anand Asir

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2013
Recently my good old GC GTX 1050Ti gave up and I am looking for a new GC in the market. My CPU and Motherboards are too old and so I am having doubts whether I can use any of the GCs mentioned above. These are available cheaper compared with Nvidia version of 3050 or 3060 in my country. I strictly cannot upgrade my CPU or Motherboard at this point but in future I will. I am playing games at 1080p only now but thinking of using the same GPU which i am going to get for my future upgrade. My question is whether my current cpu and mobo handle any of the above mentioned GPUS smoothly? Kindly provide your suggestions.

Processor : Intel i5 3470 3.60Ghz
Motherboard : Intel DB75EN
RAM : 8GB(i can upgrade this)
PSU : Corsair VS550 (VS Series™ VS550 — 550 Watt 80 PLUS® White Certified PSU (corsair.com) )

unfrotunately no , your current cpu is an old quad core and it will present a severe bottleneck for any of those GPUs .
i would not advice to buy any expensive new video card for this system - +8gb of memory and second hand gtx 1060 6gb may be the best option
(you will see some improvement over your old card and it will not cost you much)

however if you want to truly enjoy new games you will need to build a new system from scratch

that being said if you are planning to build a new system soon you can get more powerful video card
but if you are not planning on upgrading for a next year or two than it is not wort it to buy any 66xx or rtx 3060 graphics card .

Last edited:
Reactions: Anand Asir

Anand Asir

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2013
unfrotunately no , your current cpu is an old quad core and it will present a severe bottleneck for any of those GPUs .
i would not advice to buy any expensive new video card for this system - +8gb of memory and second hand gtx 1060 6gb may be the best option
(you will see some improvement over your old card and it will not cost you much)

however if you want to truly enjoy new games you will need to build a new system from scratch

that being said if you are planning to build a new system soon you can get more powerful video card
but if you are not planning on upgrading for a next year or two than it is not wort it to buy any 66xx or rtx 3060 graphics card .

@dark_globe You mean I could not even run it or with severe bottlenecks? The power to performance ratio will be too worst? It is okay for me if I hit at least 60FPS in RDR2 in 1080p. With my old GTX1050Ti I could barely hit 40FPS in RDR2. So slight FPS increase is a win-win situation for me. Because surely, I am going to upgrade my system in the near future. Thanks in advance

you could run it of course but with considerable bottleneck in most modern games .

in red dead redemption 2 people were able to reach 60-70 average FPS at 1080p med/high settings
with 1% low around 50 fps with rtx 2060 and overclocked i5 3570K
unfortunately your cpu has locked multiplayer and will not perform as good as overclocked 3570K ,
even still you should be able to get around 55 average fps with 1% low being around 35-40 (with cards like rtx 2060/2060s/rx66000) in this specific game .

overall it is still not worth it to pair 3470 with new 300/400 dollars video card - the returns would be insufficient .

Last edited:
Reactions: Anand Asir

TRENDING THREADS