Question Which SSD should I select for my Laptop...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I brought my laptop almost 8 months ago for my College... It's doing good... But Storage of 512GB is bit less for me..

So want to Expand it's storage by installing Nvme M.2 SSD (in an empty slot) which is PCIe Gen3 x4 Lanes are From PCH (not CPU)

Specs -
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IHU6-D1

I5 11320H
16GB 3200Mhz memory (8+8gb)
GTX 1650

So I selected 4-5 SSDs.. am writing them according to my preferences...

-ADATA S50 Lite (DRAM Cached PCIe 4.0 ready and very durable.. (High TBW)

-Samsung 980 (DRAM less 4.0 SSD, Good service)

-WD SN570 (DRAM less Bit cheaper than all other options

-Crucial P3 (Cheapest QLC based PCIe 4.0 based)

-Kingston NV2a

All SSDs are available for 1TB varients...

So which one is the best overall.. priority is speed and reliable?

Thank you

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
I think 2 drives in one laptop could drain the battery faster, compared to one large drive - I am not certain though. Just speculating.
If it's true and the battery life is important, you could only use the 1TB drive and take the 512 GB out for different purpose (external enclosure?)

I think 2 drives in one laptop could drain the battery faster, compared to one large drive - I am not certain though. Just speculating.
If it's true and the battery life is important, you could only use the 1TB drive and take the 512 GB out for different purpose (external enclosure?)
Battery life is not that important for me... I am a college student.. am mostly do my Work while sitting in Library, Class or at my Room.. and there is plenty of power plugs available.. so Battery life is not an issue... Next is... Which one should I buy.. for performance, Reliability and Value...
Price of each drive as of Amazon (India)
AData S50 lite 1TB (6500 Rupee)
Samsung 980 1TB (7785 Rupee)
WD SN570 1TB (6099 Rupee)
Crucial P3 1TB (5530 Rupee)
Kingston NV2 1TB(4500 Rupee)

Battery life is not that important for me... I am a college student.. am mostly do my Work while sitting in Library, Class or at my Room.. and there is plenty of power plugs available.. so Battery life is not an issue... Next is... Which one should I buy.. for performance, Reliability and Value...
Price of each drive as of Amazon (India)
AData S50 lite 1TB (6500 Rupee)
Samsung 980 1TB (7785 Rupee)
WD SN570 1TB (6099 Rupee)
Crucial P3 1TB (5530 Rupee)
Kingston NV2 1TB(4500 Rupee)
Flip a coin.

Disk fail..... keep good backups.

USAFRet

Titan
The ADATA S50 Lite would be the best overall choice for expanding the storage of your laptop; Samsung 980 is also a good option, but it is DRAM-less; The Crucial P3 is a good budget option. I would choose from these three, I prefer ADATA
Given the problems with the ADATA line, why, specifically, do you recommend those?
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/adata-xpg-sx8200-pro-controller-change

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K07sEM6y4Uc

Given the problems with the ADATA line, why, specifically, do you recommend those?
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/adata-xpg-sx8200-pro-controller-change

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K07sEM6y4Uc
Any possible way to test nand flash type (without disassembling drive)... So that if i got scammed.. i can return my drive..

Time will show how I'm wrong
You're absolutely right, it will.

You should have listened to the advice you were given. Not just in spite of the fact that your financial resources are limited but BECAUSE of that. People who can't afford to easily replace a drive, especially a QLC drive that isn't going to have great endurance anyhow, should buy a good drive from a recommended brand so they don't have to deal with it again until some reasonably expected date down the road. It costs less money to do something right ONE time, than it does to try and save money and have to do it twice.

My favorite quote on this, which actually used to be my signature, is:

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers LONG after the sweetness of a cheap deal has been forgotten"

And by the way, if that is what your "technician" told you, I'd make sure you don't use them anymore because they are not doing you any favors.

When sub-par products get found out in US and western markets and companies have to scramble to correct things in order to right the ship, where do you think they send all those questionable components that they already manufactured? You guessed it. Right directly to countries and regions where hardware availability is not great and prices are higher than elsewhere because they know those kinds of buyers will gladly pay more for products that nobody wants elsewhere because they either have problems or don't perform as originally advertised.

Status
Not open for further replies.