Question Which storage to choose for backup?

excelsioris

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
Hello,

I need to choose a storage option (as backup) for important files and documents.
After analysing all options I decided for an external HDD and the 3 best options remaining for me are WD My Passport 4 TB, WD Elemnents Portable 4 TB and Seagate STGX4000400 (also 4 TB).
The prices and performance are similar but the most important detail for me is the reliability – how secure is that disk to keep backup data over time.
Ignoring the performance, access time, transfer speed etc. and having in mind only the reliability, which of the 3 models mentioned above is the most recommended?

Thank you in advance!

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
IMO, if this is a starting point for critical backup I would start with looking at something along the lines of a purpose built NAS and/or an older PC that has room for storage drives. To me the best value is usually found in using an older PC that seems not to be up to the task of modern use case. Storage doesn't take much grunt you basically just want it to be reliable and have room for the drives. Also of note is to consider the level of drive(s) you pick for the job. Generally not a good idea to go with the least expensive drive you can find.

As above, critical backup should be across multiple sources and my personal recommend is within different systems on different electrical circuits in the house.

I don't think very highly of those "passport" and such external drives aside for maybe some music and a game save or such. If those so much as fall over it can end the drive inside. Unplanned disconnection is another. I wouldn't do it that way at all.