Question While gaming monitors go black, fan noises will suddenly increase and occasionally pc will restart with black and white display and low res.

nydrim

Reputable
Dec 12, 2016
Hello, lately I have been experiencing the following program which I THINK is related to my GPU but I'm not at all sure. Sorry for the long post but I want to provide a clear picture of what is happening.

These are the events that took place.
  • About a week ago as I was playing Warhammer 2 Total War, both my monitors suddenly went black, one of the fans started making a very loud noise as if overworking, and then the pc restarted. After restarting everything went back to normal.
  • Some time later the same thing happened, but the pc did not restart and I could hear the sound of youtube videos playing in the background while the monitors remained black. This continued occurring for the next couple days.
  • At some point this also occurred when only using microsoft word and watching youtube videos without even gaming.
  • Yesterday, I cleaned the the inside of the pc, lowered the settings of Warhammer II and removed all the mods thinking that this could be the issue. After playing for some time the same thing happened. This time however, when restarting the pc, only my second monitor was working and the display was black & white and of very low resolution which I was unable to change. This is what it looked like View: https://imgur.com/a/7s58RFg
    It In order to fix this I had to disconnect the second monitor, restart the pc with only the first monitor, and then connect the second one, at which point everything worked normally. I've noticed some windows alerts after I have restarted the pc whenever this happens. View: https://imgur.com/a/R6wWKdT
  • It now appears to be happening when I'm playing other games too, e.g. Mass Effect 3.

Some further notes on the situation.
  • I built this pc and have been using it for about 2 years now.
  • This issue or anything similar has never occurred before.
  • I've cleaned the inside of the pc recently and there doesn't seem to be substantial dust in the fans. The airflow seems normal.
  • Core Temp shows temperatures of around 40 Celsius when the problem occurs. It doesn't seem like the overall pc is getting overheated.
  • I have been doing nothing out of the ordinary when this happens. I have played multiple hours of Warhammer Total War and other games (e.g. Witcher 3) on max or almost max settings with no issue at all.
  • It will usually let me play a game for some time, which can be up to an hour or more, and then the problem occurs. After it initially happens it will happen a lot more frequent if I attempt to game. In terms of Warhammer Total War it seems to happen when I enter the campaign map and not when I launch the game.
  • While gaming, the task manager shows the GPU to be working at around 90% and under.
  • Based on the alerts and the black & white display + vastly reduced resolution which I cannot change, it seems that when the pc is restarting the graphics card isn't being recognized.

This is my build:
  • CPU: Intel - Core i5-6500 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • Graphics Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-B150M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
  • Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
  • Case: Zalman - Z9 NEO ATX Mid Tower Case
  • Power Supply: Fractal Design - Edison M 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Note that although I built the pc I'm not all that knowledgeable in this field. Thanks.

Your graphics card is factory overclocked. Reduce settings to Nvidia reference clocks.
Your card:
Boost: 1797MHz/ Base: 1582MHz in OC Mode​
Boost: 1771MHz/ Base: 1556MHz in Gaming Mode​
Nvidia reference:
Boost Clock (MHz) 1708/ Base Clock (MHz) 1506​

Monitor graphics card temperatures with MSI afterburner. 40C doesn't sound right for gaming (too low).
Try turning adaptive vsync on. It will limit GPU usage.

So the problem is definitely with the graphics card? How come this issue only just started happening after almost 2 years of use?
Wear and tear of the paste used to bridge the GPU and the heat sink, most likely. You could try re-pasting it, but you would lose your warranty immediately (if its still covered).

Underclocking it is the easy solution and exploring repaste is the hard, but maybe better solution.

Another alternative could be the PSU not giving enough power for some rason; they also suffer from tear and wear, so it's not unreasonable to think this either.

Cheers!

nydrim

Reputable
Dec 12, 2016
Thanks for the replies.

This is what MSI Afterburn displays approximately when my monitors go black during a gaming session. View: https://imgur.com/a/rW5pM4H

Temperature would go up to around 70 Celsius.

I attempted to underclock it (not sure how successfully I did it) and this is what was displayed. View: https://imgur.com/a/m6aiteN

Despite the underclocking the monitors still went black.

Is anyone noticing anything unusual in the MSI Afterburn stats?