[SOLVED] While troubleshooting failed windows updates (like 0x8007370b and others) DISM Restorehealth fails (error 14091)

Nov 3, 2022
So the original issue is that after my GPU (RTX3080) inexplicably "failed", slowing down booting, attempts to repair and a windows 11 to go install to a crawl, and after I sent it for repairs and they couldn't find any fault and gotten it back it worked (maybe cable problems). Anyway, both while I was using an old RTX2070S as a holdover and after I got it back system updates fail, either download errors (0x80070020) or install errors (0x8007370b). Currently, I see the following updates: KB5018427, KB5018496, KB5018341. Following the troubleshooting steps on Get Help led me to run DISM Restorehealth, which fails at random percentages, but always with the same error code, 14091. Here's the last one I ran:

Code:
C:\Windows\System32>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.22621.1

Image Version: 10.0.22621.1

[===========================86.4%==================        ]
Error: 14091

The name of an attribute in an identity is not within the legal range.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

Here's a Pastebin of dism.log. I also ran MemTest at the recommendation of another forum thread, but that went through without any errors, although I might not have tested the RAM sticks separately, I don't really understand the program that well tbh.
I'm currently on OS build 22621.1, PC info: Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC CPU: AMD 3700x GPU: Nvidia 3080 SSD: 2 Sabrent Nvme gen 3 PSU: Corsair RM850x

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Advice for that error seems to be a Repair install - https://www.elevenforum.com/t/repair-install-windows-11-with-an-in-place-upgrade.418/
Since you on 22H2 it is relatively painless, all it does is rolls windows back to base build of 22H2, you will just need cumulative updates again. Shouldn't take much longer than 30 minutes on an Nvme.
All it does is replaces windows, everything else should still be where it is now.
I did one a few months ago, its pretty easy. All it does is installs windows over top of itself.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Advice for that error seems to be a Repair install - https://www.elevenforum.com/t/repair-install-windows-11-with-an-in-place-upgrade.418/
Since you on 22H2 it is relatively painless, all it does is rolls windows back to base build of 22H2, you will just need cumulative updates again. Shouldn't take much longer than 30 minutes on an Nvme.
All it does is replaces windows, everything else should still be where it is now.
I did one a few months ago, its pretty easy. All it does is installs windows over top of itself.

Last edited:
Solution
Nov 3, 2022

Thank you, that did the trick, DISM passes too now.