Jun 14, 2021
i recently upgraded my gpu and change the motherboard, i changed from gtx 750 to 960
and after i tried playing games i notice that my cpu usage sky rocketting like it stays on 100% while my gpu barely hits 60, neither i set the graphic to high or low, or recommended setting, the fps stays the same, only the gpu usage goes high a bit since it make sense but, should i be getting more fps when i lower the graphic down?
ive done clean delete the previous gpu driver and install a new one, i tried every youtube video but nothing works
this is my spec
i5 3470
gtx 960 2gb 12 pin
aigo bronze plus 550watts
9gb ram ( 4 + 2 + 2 + 1 )

could it be my ram? im thinking of replacing the 1 gb to 4 gb to make it balance but could it fix my problem or i need a clean factory reset of my computer

Solution
There's just a lot going on here.

- First, the lack of a full Windows reinstall. It's a bit like buying a new couch and moving over the crumbs under the cushions from the old couch.

- The FrankenRAM situation. That "other people" have done fine with mixed RAM situations doesn't mean that everyone will. And that would be true even if it was your exact assortment of random RAM sticks. Not even sticks of the same model are guaranteed to work together if they're not sold together in the same package.

- The janky overclock attempt. This is one of those things you do properly or you don't do at all. And exactly what did you edit in regedit, from what value to what value? Many so-called "registry overclocking" tricks...
You're getting a bottleneck because the CPU can't perform fast enough. The GPU can't do anything without the CPU telling it to do something. Lowering the graphics settings causes the GPU to finish its work sooner, and since the CPU is already taxed, it can't send stuff for the GPU to do.

The CPU determines the maximum frame rate, regardless of settings. The GPU determines the frame rate up to that point.

The only way to get more performance in your use case is the upgrade the CPU.

Jun 14, 2021
You're getting a bottleneck because the CPU can't perform fast enough. The GPU can't do anything without the CPU telling it to do something. Lowering the graphics settings causes the GPU to finish its work sooner, and since the CPU is already taxed, it can't send stuff for the GPU to do.

The CPU determines the maximum frame rate, regardless of settings. The GPU determines the frame rate up to that point.

The only way to get more performance in your use case is the upgrade the CPU.
but ive watched some youtube videos with the same spec as mine, everything works fine

Jun 14, 2021
What is the cpu temperature and speed (GHz) while in game?

What games and resolution are you running?

When you changed motherboard did you reinstall Windows?
ive set the cpu ghz to 3.2ghz using the regedit ( just followed up some youtube tutorial) or otherwise it will not go up above 1.7ghz
(still it says 100% cpu usage)
the temp is normal, never beyond 65,
im playing apex currently on mix set by default ( slightly above medium setting i can say) on 900p since my monitor dont support 1080
nope i dint reinstall the windows

ive set the cpu ghz to 3.2ghz using the regedit ( just followed up some youtube tutorial) or otherwise it will not go up above 1.7ghz
(still it says 100% cpu usage)
the temp is normal, never beyond 65,
im playing apex currently on mix set by default ( slightly above medium setting i can say) on 900p since my monitor dont support 1080
nope i dint reinstall the windows
Have you actually confirmed the cpu speed while gaming? You might be suffering cpu throttling. Also any changes to cpu settings should be done in the BIOS. Also did you reinstall Windows when you changed motherboard?

Jun 14, 2021
Have you actually confirmed the cpu speed while gaming? You might be suffering cpu throttling. Also any changes to cpu settings should be done in the BIOS. Also did you reinstall Windows when you changed motherboard?
no i dint reinstall windows when i changed the motherboard, i can confirmed for now that the speed stays at 3.29 ghz, im using frameview for monitoring, i cant seem to change anything about cpu speed on this gigabyte bios, should i change the things ive changed in regedit to default? but it will stays at 1.7 ghz even while gaming and weird part is it still says that cpu usage 100%

no i dint reinstall windows when i changed the motherboard, i can confirmed for now that the speed stays at 3.29 ghz, im using frameview for monitoring, i cant seem to change anything about cpu speed on this gigabyte bios, should i change the things ive changed in regedit to default? but it will stays at 1.7 ghz even while gaming and weird part is it still says that cpu usage 100%
It is highly recommended you reinstall Windows when you change motherboard. I would start with this.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Jun 14, 2021
It is highly recommended you reinstall Windows when you change motherboard. I would start with this.
will just reinstall windows without touching any files work? ive seen someone having almost the same problem with me did it but he said it dint work unless i have to do the clean reset ( install windows using usb)

DSzymborski

Titan

- First, the lack of a full Windows reinstall. It's a bit like buying a new couch and moving over the crumbs under the cushions from the old couch.

- The FrankenRAM situation. That "other people" have done fine with mixed RAM situations doesn't mean that everyone will. And that would be true even if it was your exact assortment of random RAM sticks. Not even sticks of the same model are guaranteed to work together if they're not sold together in the same package.

- The janky overclock attempt. This is one of those things you do properly or you don't do at all. And exactly what did you edit in regedit, from what value to what value? Many so-called "registry overclocking" tricks simply change what's being reported, not the actual clock speed, and can potentially mess up programs.

- The power supply. Shouldn't be overclocking in any circumstance on an ancient, group-regulated PSU. And the actual 80 Plus database doesn't list AIGO as far as I can see; fake 80 Plus badges are not uncommon in SE Asia and Eastern Europe from dodgy vendors.

Reactions: Jason H.
Solution
Jun 14, 2021

- The janky overclock attempt. This is one of those things you do properly or you don't do at all. And exactly what did you edit in regedit, from what value to what value? Many so-called "registry overclocking" tricks simply change what's being reported, not the actual clock speed, and can potentially mess up programs.

- The power supply. Shouldn't be overclocking in any circumstance on an ancient, group-regulated PSU. And the actual 80 Plus database doesn't list AIGO as far as I can see; fake 80 Plus badges are not uncommon in SE Asia and Eastern Europe from dodgy vendors.
If that HDD only has 1 partition then yes
ive done it, the gpu usage went slightly above 50 but now barely hits 70 and sometime it hits 60

Jun 14, 2021

ive done the full windows installation but nothing seems different its just the gpu load went slightly up like 55% avg, im thinking of buying 4gb of ram from the same brand as my current 4gb and take out the 2gbs and the 1gb just using the 4 + 4, will that help? and about the regedit thing i think its about disabling the intelppm, im sorry maybe i miss type or something but https://linustechtips.com/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/ you can see my psu down the list in tier c, i think it should work fine as long as it got listed there

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
i recently upgraded my gpu and change the motherboard, i changed from gtx 750 to 960
and after i tried playing games i notice that my cpu usage sky rocketting like it stays on 100% while my gpu barely hits 60, neither i set the graphic to high or low, or recommended setting, the fps stays the same, only the gpu usage goes high a bit since it make sense but, should i be getting more fps when i lower the graphic down?
ive done clean delete the previous gpu driver and install a new one, i tried every youtube video but nothing works
this is my spec
i5 3470
gtx 960 2gb 12 pin
aigo bronze plus 550watts
9gb ram ( 4 + 2 + 2 + 1 )

could it be my ram? im thinking of replacing the 1 gb to 4 gb to make it balance but could it fix my problem or i need a clean factory reset of my computer
An i5 3570 can handle the GTX 960 well, you should try to overclock your processor to atleast 3.4 Ghz

Jun 14, 2021
What motherboard is it? I would not use a driver installer program, do it manually. Did you download the latest driver from NVidia?
yeah the gpu driver i download it manually,
the only driver i download using the driver installer was just the usb port and stuff the motherboard model is gigabyte b75 d3v (rev. 1.0)

Who the hell even overclocks with reg edit... lol

yah, i used a driver installer software, even search up the motherboard driver but theres nothing much to download

Up until now, it sounds like everything that you could have done wrong, or bad, you did.

You need to backup your personal files, wipe the drive, reinstall Windows.

The ram..... a mess. Need a whole kit of ram or there will always be "well maybe its the ram".