Why Apple Fans Hate Tech Reporters

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kewlx

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Apples are a waste of money though. They are now proved to be less secure than Windows. They are just over priced pieces of junk with a cool looking OS (which anyone can make a windows pc look like if they so pleased **because we can actually do stuff with windows**). I think that this was a good way to look at the different aspects though also and see that there are sides that are unjustly calling, someone who nitpicks or even hates a product, them kisser-ups to the rival company based on a few comments without knowing a person.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]jsm6746[/nom]just stick with the facts tom's... benchmarks, hw info etc... no opinion pieces please...on this topic though, there is something that keeps some people from admitting the truth. they'd almost rather rant about something blindly, than actually understand the truth behind it. it's all blurting out opinion without putting any real thought into it. maybe it's some form of therapy they choose, maybe its a fear of ever being wrong, but whatever it is... it really gets under my skin when people try slinging their opinionated rants as facts...[/citation]
Just stick to facts in your comments... no opinions please.

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
[citation][nom]jsm6746[/nom]just stick with the facts tom's... benchmarks, hw info etc... no opinion pieces please...on this topic though, there is something that keeps some people from admitting the truth. they'd almost rather rant about something blindly, than actually understand the truth behind it. it's all blurting out opinion without putting any real thought into it. maybe it's some form of therapy they choose, maybe its a fear of ever being wrong, but whatever it is... it really gets under my skin when people try slinging their opinionated rants as facts...[/citation]

no, i disagree. whilst I, ofcourse, want to see more (non apple) hardware related stuff, this article took me by pleasant surprise (coz it was good) and showed me that (unbiased) opinion articles (i know, that's almost a contradiction in terms) CAN fit in, even jere at Tom's. If the writing quality stays like this, i don't really care what i'm reading about (Marcus managed to put 2 major grammatical errors in the first line of his article from this morning...SIGH)

reaper21

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]ragnar-kon[/nom]And that is why Apple is such a successful company. They have developed their own "culture" that I'm sure many other companies strive for. Dell, for example, is a HUGE company, but they don't have their own culture.Another company that I can think of that has their own culture is Blizzard. Their games are hugely popular, and they have extremely loyal fans. When I think of Warcraft, I instantly think of Blizzard.You could argue this both ways--"PCs are slowly becoming more or less a Mac." But either way you look at it, its true. It seems like Microsoft takes what is good about the Mac OS and puts it in their systems. Next thing you'll know Mac will have the ability to maximize a window when you drag it to the top of the screen. Personally, I like the Mac OS MUCH more than the Windows OS. But yet I keep around a Windows machine for DirectX.[/citation]

Uhm, how about a Mac already used x86 cpus which PC has been using for over 2 decades? Your analogy to Blizzard is ridiculous, I never heard of Activision Blizzard fans bashing EA Bioware. And those fans are not a culture of any particular company, they just like good games in general. I like Diablo franchise as much as I like Baldur Gates.

Apple fans is more like a cult, a religion than a culture. Culture allows differences, cult wants absolute loyalty.

G

It's interesting that we'd drag the IsraPalestinian conflict into this as if it's just a matter of 2 sides disagreeing. If your on the Palestinian side of that equation:

Your land was invaded by foreigners circa 1890(the big push coming circa 1950).

They've been progressively stealing more of your family's land ever since.

Every time you attempt to defend your land, they steal even more, because "it's the only way they can defend themselves from your **completely** unprovoked attacks"

You eventually get evicted because of your race. (which is indicated on the license plate of your car, lest the police need to identify the race of the driver at a glance).

What's not to like, right? Just 2 sides disagreeing... *rolls eyes*

Yours Truly,
beloved patriot Americano

randomizer

Champion

The problem is that MS prefer to push standards that need to be reverse engineered by competitors. They're only recently opening up, but they still ignore existing open standards in order to push unfinalised, overcomplicated standards. An example is Office Open XML. The OpenDocument standard achieves essentially the same outcomes as Office Open XML. The difference is that:

■ The OpenDocument format (ODF) already exists and can already be implemented.
■ ODF Is approximately 850 pages long, while Office Open XML is an incredible 7000 pages. This means it will not get a proper review by standards bodies because it would take nearly 2 decades to review it to the same level of scrutiny as ODF received. It also makes OOXML far more complex to implement.
■ OOXML exists in Office 2007 and Office 2010, yet neither implementation actually meets the format's specifications. The Office version following 2010 will (finally) support this format properly.

So why is Microsoft pushing a format that is complex and incomplete over a format that is simple and already exists? Because they will have a large amount of control over OOXML, while they don't have control over ODF.

One could argue that Microsoft are supporting open standards because you can save in the ODF format in Word 2007 SP2. However, this would be misleading because MS do not implement ODF correctly in Word 2007. They made their own changes to violate the specification and further break cross-compatibility. Why would they do this? Well nobody is going to use a format that appears to "not work" in other word processors, which will of course implement open specs correctly (including OOXML) and reverse engineer closed ones (like DOC) to the best of their ability. If OOXML works fine with all word processors people will use it, cementing MS's control over the primary document specification for the next decade just as with DOC.

MS are masters at keeping their market position. But Apple are as well, only it's a different market and they use a different approach (marketing instead of throwing around commercial weight).

G

Oh my, I can't believe it.

I'm an apple fan and I read this site. I don't hate the reporters here. I don't even hate the commenters who try to make me feel like an idiot for owning an iMac. It's just technology people.

Seems like people always need to identify themselves with a product. What a waste of time.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]Microsoft is not just about selling a $50 copy of Windows. If you think that then you're far more ignorant than any Apple fanboy.[/citation]

Yeah, except an Apple computer costs at least 50% more than a Windows-based equivalent so it is Apple that's using their monopoly to jack up prices to ridiculous levels.

freezed1

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
Apple is a good company...Just way too hyped (overpriced and truly lacking innovation; read definition) . I use both Windows and Mac based products and really have no preference when it comes to using one over the other. Amazingly critics who say that windows based PC's have viruses are very wrong, I personally have never gotten anything like that. On the other hand Mac OSX is real fun to use and built like a tank. I am still using a G5 dual processor that i bought from craigslist...it is almost 4 years old and still runs very solid. BTW Apple and Microsoft aren't innovators....innovation comes from companies like Samsung, Intel, Amd, Hinx, Foxxconn...etc.

pyroghozt

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
I'll start with saying that my opinion on this matter is very biased, I'm a PC fan and I have been for 17 years now. As a tech that I find it rather strange that people would pay 2-4 times the price for a computer just to use the MaC Operating System. When they can buy a PC and install and dual boot the Mac OS, Windows and Linux Operating systems. Now of course I understand that end users will struggle with such things and I also understand that making Mod-Mac is not exactly legal. But on the other hand I think giving Apple more money is more so a crime. All Apple has done is made a nice little dumbed down operating system for noobs ahem i mean end users. They use inferior hardware install their neat little operating system and then put a big cash mark up of about say 100%? I find this a little disgusting to say the least. Of course the operation system is their property and they have every right to do what they want with it legally. But I find something somewhat morally questionable in all of this. I'm a big fan of open source and when I look at free operating systems like Linux and its various different versions and I see Microsoft and Apple sitting back and capitalizing on the ignorant masses I feel kind of sad, like I've lost all faith in humanity and am about to eat a bullet.

But what bothers me more is the cult like behaviour of Mac Fans, they seem to hang on to Steve Jobs every word like hes going to lead them into a bright future and have lost all forms of self respect and individuality. Much like all the nvidia fanbois who have been waiting for their graphics card / heaters to keep them warm while they shoot peoples heads off. Maybe I shouldn't have started a war on two fronts here but this post is going to get bombarded with -1s anyway am I right?

The sad dillusions of apple mac fans are quite amusing as they honestly believe they are paying for "quality" when they are actually just lining Steve Job's pockets. More so I'm surprised that Apple Mac fans are even on this website? This is a technology website. Apple Macs are for people who are technophobic and don't like trouble shooting or any form of fixing or repairing. The Apple Mac operating system treats its users like children and rightly so. If your truly interested in technology and its unlimited and untapped potential. You won't be running a mac.

And for once I'd actually like to see a calm reasonable and logical response from a mac user. Whenever Mac gets talked down instead of calm logical argument. We get posts filled with hatred and swearing. Mac Fans seem to be incapable of using logical reasoning, which is probably why they own a mac in the first place.I'm not trolling this is my biased oppinion. I'll add that Steve Jobs owns a PC.

_jon_

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I can't believe you would post such an obviously biased piece. Mac fans couldn't possibly be biased because Macs are simply the best invention ever made. Clearly, you are licking Bill Gates' balls.

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
Can Mr. Manjoo go back to writing questionable tech articles for Slate and Tom's go back to writing questionable hardware benchmarks... like the good old days. The collision of worlds makes my head hurt.

thatmymp5

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
Apple fan hates tech reporters becos the tech reporters know most of their products are copy. lol. imac ipod iphone ipad. e.g. star trek. minority report and so on.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
"Walt Mossberg, the Wall Street Journal's influential tech columnist, reviewed Apple's latest desktop computer, the iMac G5. He absolutely loved the thing"

Ummm, W. Mossberg reviewing Apple products smells like a mouse reviewing mouse-traps, or papa talking about how bright his toddler is. Get real people.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Thanks pyroghozt; This stuff is so well argued:

" I'll start with saying that my opinion on this matter is very biased, I'm a PC fan and I have been for 17 years now. As a tech that I find it rather strange that people would pay 2-4 times the price for a computer just to use the MaC Operating System. When they can buy a PC and install and dual boot the Mac OS, Windows and Linux Operating systems. Now of course I understand that end users will struggle with such things and I also understand that making Mod-Mac is not exactly legal. But on the other hand I think giving Apple more money is more so a crime. All Apple has done is made a nice little dumbed down operating system for noobs ahem i mean end users. They use inferior hardware install their neat little operating system and then put a big cash mark up of about say 100%? I find this a little disgusting to say the least. Of course the operation system is their property and they have every right to do what they want with it legally. But I find something somewhat morally questionable in all of this. I'm a big fan of open source and when I look at free operating systems like Linux and its various different versions and I see Microsoft and Apple sitting back and capitalizing on the ignorant masses I feel kind of sad, like I've lost all faith in humanity and am about to eat a bullet.

But what bothers me more is the cult like behaviour of Mac Fans, they seem to hang on to Steve Jobs every word like hes going to lead them into a bright future and have lost all forms of self respect and individuality. Much like all the nvidia fanbois who have been waiting for their graphics card / heaters to keep them warm while they shoot peoples heads off. Maybe I shouldn't have started a war on two fronts here but this post is going to get bombarded with -1s anyway am I right?

The sad dillusions of apple mac fans are quite amusing as they honestly believe they are paying for "quality" when they are actually just lining Steve Job's pockets. More so I'm surprised that Apple Mac fans are even on this website? This is a technology website. Apple Macs are for people who are technophobic and don't like trouble shooting or any form of fixing or repairing. The Apple Mac operating system treats its users like children and rightly so. If your truly interested in technology and its unlimited and untapped potential. You won't be running a mac.

And for once I'd actually like to see a calm reasonable and logical response from a mac user. Whenever Mac gets talked down instead of calm logical argument. We get posts filled with hatred and swearing. Mac Fans seem to be incapable of using logical reasoning, which is probably why they own a mac in the first place.I'm not trolling this is my biased opinion. I'll add that Steve Jobs owns a PC. "

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
In response to some comment above:

I dont buy a Windows computer. I buy a computer, or make a computer, and decide if I want to put Windows in it. That is not the case with the Apple user. The technological pre-literate Apple fanboy is dishing out a high a premium for crApple's operating system in a "nice looking" case running el-cheepo hardware.

Then to make maters worse, this same moron heads for a local coffee-shop often clad in clothing matching the color of his laptop case, and sits acting like he is cool, meanwhile watching if anyone is looking at him and his Apple logo. Little does he know how stupid he looks to those that know.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
"the psychological thing behind consumer's and their purchased products, is the simple fact that they relate to that product."

I dont relate to any product. I relate to the specs of my product and what I can and cant do with it. If a product offers me freedom at a reasonable prize then I like the product. I cant just latch on to a logo and wonder around proudly thinking I am cool when I know that the product I am using is designed with my stupidity in mind, or is over prized for what it does, or what constitute it.

randomizer

Champion

I fail to see how Apple's niche market position makes them a monopoly. They're a boutique consumer goods manufacturer, of course they are going to charge more than the specs would suggest. Do you think everything you buy from Falcon Northwest is reasonably priced?

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I think the difference between apple fanatics and apple haters is, that apple haters don't pretend to be objective. They simply hate apple for what apple is, without somehow feeling they have to justify it.
I probably would be in the apple haters group (although I can honestly say I don't truely hate anyone or anything). I categorically reject any sort of support for apple products at work, and would rather settle for something inferior than hand apple any money of mine or of the company I work for. In fact I knowingly bought some creative zen devices instead of a 'better' ipod, simply because I dislike apple enough to not support them. And in any event, those I bought em for don't care what they get either way - long's it does what they ask for.
If I'd been in the apple camp I surely would've found some kind of sick justification for why there should be an apple icon on everything I touch. As part of the apple haters group though, I am simply content by disliking apple and making fun of apple fans whenever the rare occassion arises and I meet one.

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
The best part about this piece is that it supports itself with the comment section.

You know that in some way thats both funny and sad, its a bitter sweet ignorance that seems to be key in posting a reply to any post about any subject on toms but reading the comments here really kicks it up to a whole new level.

JohnMD1022

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
"the clips were collected from national evening news programs, and were intended, in the way that network
news is, to be mainstream, non-partisan depictions of the events "

Surely you jest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS