Why Apple Fans Hate Tech Reporters

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]znegval[/nom]maybe I'm an idiot for not being either one of Tom's angry people who blidly flame Apple everyday or one of Apple's fanatic fanboys.[/citation]

You obviously just don't give a damn about computers. It's just something you check your e-mail on, right?

[citation][nom]znegval[/nom]What the hell are you talking about? If they got market share they would end Microsoft's monopoly.[/citation]

Wrong. Microsoft's monopoly consists of the $50 worth of OS while Apple's monopoly consists of the OS and hardware. Apple gaining market share wouldn't break any monopolies since OS/X would (legally) run only on Apple hardware. If Apple had the market share Microsoft has, you'd be paying $5000 for an entry level computer and all apps would have to be approved by Apple. It's their thing...

emlee0203

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
apple fanboys hate tech reporters because apple fanboys don't know shit about specs, hardware, software, and how computers actually "work"...no wonder they don't think that they're getting ripped off by apple...$1500 mac is the equivalent of a $700 pc...then here's my question to the apple fanboys...are you happy licking Steve Jobs balls?

tleavit

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I believe they have actually produced studies (by top level institutions) saying Mac fanboys actually over look obvious and blatant problems with their devices.

Every enthusiast market has this. VW owners... a company that has been at the bottom of every reliability study I've seen in 25 years will do the same thing.

Hell, half the people in this country still think the earth is 6000 years old.

MGHolley

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
I love that you compared Apple fanatics to abortion partisans and Middle East politics. Its true...they need to step back and realize that their passion really isn't that important in the grand scheme of things and let go.

@donovands - That's exactly it; they'd feel like a BMW owner whose neighbor bought a Chevy with better speed, engine and handling (or comparable) for half the price. You'd better love your $50 haircut because you'd feel pretty stupid if someone at SuperCuts would have done the same job for $20.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
First you right this Tuan:
5 Laptops that Destroy the New MacBook Pros
8:00 PM - April 14, 2010 by Tuan Nguyen - source: Tom's Hardware US
Before the comments get out of hand--which I know they will--let's remember to keep discussions intelligent and calm. I'm cool with the bashing, but out-of-hand comments that turn ugly are bad. Let's keep the bashing at a mature level please.

2 days later you write this:

Why Apple Fans Hate Tech Reporters
8:20 PM - April 16, 2010 by Tuan Nguyen, Farhad Manjoo - source: Tom's Hardware US

You just need to face your own consecuences, that is all.

Note the worlds you choose for a title: "Destroy" and "Hate". Your words. Who is being provocative? Is this just PC or Mac hardware related too?

I apologize for being hard on you but you too need to come clean man.

XxOsurfer3xX

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I actually used to hate macs, i used to think that the hardware was too expensive, i didnt like the desing, i didnt like the OS, etc.

Then i bought a MacBook Pro, started using it and also loving it, dont get me wrong, i would not buy a mac desktop because i use windows for gaming, and i like to have the latest hardware for a fair price, and im not about to pay double for the hardware, but in laptops, i love the unibody MBP.

Sure, its expensive, but you get to use OS X for me a huge improvement over any windows, faster boot, faster shut down(its ridiculous how fast it shuts down a couple of seconds), also you have some unix stuff with the BSD and macports, for us students is awesome...

Also the MBP is really light, remember my last laptop a toshiba, the thing was powerful, but it was like 4 Kg while my MBP 1 Kg.

And how bout aluminum body, way better than plastic...

And also up to 5 H of battery with wifi aint bad...

Dont get me wrong im not trying to sell macs to anybody, just telling you my personal experience and that i am satisfied with the purchase i made and i would recomend it to anybody buying a laptop.

Anyway i dont think that people buying a laptop for gaming should buy a mac, because you need the best bang for the buck and running windows, so there is no point in having a mac.

I guess what im saying is it depends on what you are going to do with your computer its worth it or not.

[citation][nom]XxOsurfer3xX[/nom]Anyway i dont think that people buying a laptop for gaming should buy a mac, because you need the best bang for the buck and running windows, so there is no point in having a mac.[/citation]

;)

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Since went our macs PC's. Seriously you've been watching to many Mac commercials. You're on a tech site you should know what pc means.

As far as the article duh. Then again if people could ACTUALLY grasp their head around such things there wouldn't be nearly as many wars. But when you're right you're right no matter what amirite.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Honestly, where's the fun without the drama?

I've enjoyed Tom's for over 15 months now, and have read almost every from page article posted since day 1. I love it because it's part serious news agency, part blog, part and part user portal.
Get some serious news about the latest and greatest, with a personal twist from editors with varying personalities, with the community being engaged. Sure, it's not perfect, but it's pretty damned close.
And without the flame wars, it wouldn't nearly be half as fun.
Also, has Kevin ever posted a reply in the comments? He gets bashed on a regular basis, but honestly, we invented spell checkers for a reason.

By the way, who's balls are you licking?

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]jecastej[/nom]First you right this Tuan:5 Laptops that Destroy the New MacBook Pros8:00 PM - April 14, 2010 by Tuan Nguyen - source: Tom's Hardware US...Before the comments get out of hand--which I know they will--let's remember to keep discussions intelligent and calm. I'm cool with the bashing, but out-of-hand comments that turn ugly are bad. Let's keep the bashing at a mature level please.2 days later you write this:Why Apple Fans Hate Tech Reporters8:20 PM - April 16, 2010 by Tuan Nguyen, Farhad Manjoo - source: Tom's Hardware USYou just need to face your own consecuences, that is all.Note the worlds you choose for a title: "Destroy" and "Hate". Your words. Who is being provocative? Is this just PC or Mac hardware related too? I apologize for being hard on you but you too need to come clean man.[/citation]

I like how you're attempting to pin me against my own words but I have to break it to you, your comparison is flawed.

1. The first part, I'm asking readers to be nice.
2. This article, is an expose on how the "other side" acts.

The two are unrelated. Showing how people are hateful, and asking readers to be nice to each other, are two different things my friend. I'd argue that giving readers both sides of the story is beneficial. Asking readers to be nice, doesn't mean that I should only post rosey articles.

Cheers / Tuan

ryphlin

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
The irony of the tenor of the comments in relation to the content of the article itself is absolutely hilarious. Take a step back and look at what's going on here. The point of the text is the exploration of irrational vitriolic partisanship in general, and given that this site focuses on PC hardware for Windows, it focuses on Apple partisans in particular. Know your audience, right?

See where I'm going with this? The comments to the article are packed with PC partisans unloading their irrational vitriolic partisanship at Apple partisans. Ah, Irony... Even better are the justifications for why the vitriol is indeed rational.

In fair disclosure, I make a living as a freelance Editor/Animator. From a financial standpoint, I make most of my money using Final Cut Studio. My other primary tools are Avid, After Effects, and Maya. From my experience, I’ve found the Mac-based workflow to be more efficient and OS X more pleasant to use. However, I love the raw power of a custom-built PC for churning out massive Maya renders - as well as access to all those PC games.

As a result, I spend a lot of time on both Mac and Windows focused sites and I have to say that the partisans of both sides are... how did the article put it... licking someone’s balls.

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
best article i've read on Tom's for a long time. NICE one Tuan and Mr Manjoo!

I am really, REALLY happy to see there is some good journalistic research (attached pdf's!!! yummy!) and all going into this and not just scraped off the top trash news from yesterday (i'm thinking "Baby is lame with xbox controller" kinda articles)

thank you :)

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
the psycological thing behind consumer's and thier purchased products, is the simple fact that they relate to that product. It helps identify who they are to themselves,as well as the rest of the world. So some one attacks that product , these folks see it as an attack upon themselves adn thier life style , it get's even worse with fanatics . fanatics Zealously not only find identity with the product , but take it further and feel some brand loyalty. even when they know the company dosn't really give s--ts about them.

me i try to avoid over attachment to a product as well as the indetifing with a brand , butr then i come to think of it i identify with Fender Bass guitars the same way these apple fantaics do with apple.. we all ahve some product out there that we are like this with even if we don't realize it , it is part of human nature.

inthere

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
Some of us need to spend less time posting and more time learning proper grammar.

The iPad is not getting my money until it gets a camera. I will buy it though. I actually hate Apple. There, I admit it. I think not including a camera on the iPad was intentional and next year they come out with the updated version to get everyone's money again. The new laptop "update" is a joke.

However, I will point out some things about Apple products. I am extremely hard on laptops. Bought a top specced one every year. Fell apart, all of them. I travel a lot, and I've had 2 Macbook Pro's in 5 years. Solid as a rock man. Light. Extremely well built. Runs Windows better than any PC laptop I've EVER had because all Apple laptops use the same hardware and same drivers, and Windows drivers are included in the OS. Installing WIndows in as easy as installing a video game.

Not too pleased about the crap year-old video cards that are always put in there, but the things are rock solid and they're saving me money on repairs and just replacing them completely.

That said, Tuan has seemed to have it in for Apple in the past and he does an awful lot of Apple articles. I don't understand why he's in denial; he should just admit he hates Apple and be done with it. I like how he catches Apple at every turn every time they try to put something over on us.

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
It's good to see an article shedding some light on this actually very big problem.

It's just the people think: more money == better stuff.
It's so said to see this with software where the cost of writing it is completely decoupled of the cost to distribute it.

And if nobody knows, Apple and probably other tech companies such as MS, Adobe, Novell... spends time on evangelizing including correcting wikipedia, adding opinions to news sites such as tom's hardware.
They register a few account and let software check periodically on KeyWords. They then read the relevant articles and put comments, that makes them look very good, on it. Which are completely decoupled from reality of course.
That's a real danger because authors that allows comments could think that the people want what those companies want.
Such things happen, look what happened to the original and first author of Gnote. He was bullied away by MS and Novell shills.
H

fiduce

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Well, If you were given the oportunity to ask a first question to Steve after the iPad launch ... would you ask for a better battery autonomy ? (maybe the best thing in an iPad, compared to netbooks)
Walt Mossberg did.
Wouldn't you ask for an SD card slot ? About the lack of connectivity ... or flash player or anything else.

randomizer

Champion

You have absolutely no idea about MS works do you? They have their finger in everything. They consistently push their own "standards" (often without actually sticking to them) in order to maintain their market position. Apple don't have the commercial muscle to do this and generally rely on brilliant (and I mean that) marketing to sell their products.

Microsoft is not just about selling a $50 copy of Windows. If you think that then you're far more ignorant than any Apple fanboy.

MGHolley

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
I won't deny the existence of Microsoft's anti-competitive behavior. It would be ignorant to do so. However, there is something to be said about having a single company pushing standards. Imagine the highways if some people believed they should drive on the left and others on the right, some believed in no speed limit while others felt going over 35 was detrimental to the environment. At some point, competition is chaos. It seems like half the job of M$ competitors is to simply do the opposite of what Microsoft does....start bar at the bottom, we'll put ours on top....window control on the top right, we'll put ours on the top left...etc, etc. Apple does bring competition, but I doubt they will ever amount to more than a niche service. In enough time, the iPhone will find itself replaced by competitors products which do a similar job at a much lower price. By then, Apple will have either found a new toy to keep themselves afloat or they will go the way so many other tech companies have gone.

Bill Gates is no longer holding the reins at M$, and I think the company will move forward. I can't say the same for Apple with the loss of Steve Jobs. I think there is something to be said about the idol worship...

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I wonder if you took a group of news reporters then took a group of tech fans. I bet the news reports would say "we are more toward the unbiased side" where the tech fans would say the exact opposite.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
The only issue I had with this article is that there was no fox news in 1982 so we really cant say that the news that was shown to the students was unbiased. When you compare and contrast fox news with its center right stance on most issues with say cnn or msnbc with its far left (i.e. chris matthews, keith olberman, etc etc) you can see how biased the older networks are. So saying that the study they did used an unbiased source is sort of ludicrous but understandable. Maybe they should redo the study today and use more sources. They could include pro and anti israel blogs, fox news, msnbc, conservative and liberal talk radio, the new york times and the wall street journal. I doubt the outcome would be any different but it would still be cool to see.

MGHolley

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]The only issue I had with this article is that there was no fox news in 1982 so we really cant say that the news that was shown to the students was unbiased. When you compare and contrast fox news with its center right stance on most issues with say cnn or msnbc with its far left (i.e. chris matthews, keith olberman, etc etc) you can see how biased the older networks are. So saying that the study they did used an unbiased source is sort of ludicrous but understandable. Maybe they should redo the study today and use more sources. They could include pro and anti israel blogs, fox news, msnbc, conservative and liberal talk radio, the new york times and the wall street journal. I doubt the outcome would be any different but it would still be cool to see.[/citation]

Good point. I'm a moderate Republican and even I find Fox News laughable and offensive most of the time. Is there truly an unbiased news source left? Al-jazeera perhaps?

funkjunky

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
It's extreme polarization that 'causes the strife. This news post, and likely the paper explain things perfectly (I'm not going to read the paper, so I can study for my last final). The examples are great examples that have the same conflict as Apple vs Microsoft.

For example, genetic foods. One side think everyone should adopt it, because it can greatly improve the case of world hunger, the other side thinks it is immoral and will ruin the natural roots of the world. It isn't just one side loves their case, but it's that they hate the other case, and further the people on the other side don't just love their case, but hate the other case!

it's not just heavy attraction, it's heavy attraction and repel.
I love the tight focus Apple puts in their hardware and software, and hate how Microsoft supports all old software (I think it makes their new software terrible).
Microsoft lovers think the opposite. They love how Microsoft allows people to customize their hardware however they want, and that their million year old software will still work natively, but hate how Apple restricts the hardware, and the software in some cases like the iPhone.

It comes down to attitudes towards basic principles. I don't mind restriction if it improves focus, others don't mind split focus, if it improves options.

Also the writer is an idiot. Sony would never make a camera like that, they're cameras have batteries that last forever, and the pictures come out better than when you took them. Their pictures don't automatically come out with a radial blur like Pentaxs pictures!

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
I like how you're attempting to pin me against my own words but I have to break it to you, your comparison is flawed.

1. The first part, I'm asking readers to be nice.
2. This article, is an expose on how the "other side" acts.

The two are unrelated. Showing how people are hateful, and asking readers to be nice to each other, are two different things my friend. I'd argue that giving readers both sides of the story is beneficial. Asking readers to be nice, doesn't mean that I should only post rosey articles.

Cheers / Tuan

Tuan, again, I apologize to you for any offensive word or comment coming from me. And thank you for the cheers, you are welcome! Nevertheless, I don't see any word from you admitting any possible mistake on your side. Fine, that is your privileged. I apologize to you for being offensive to you or to your work but not for my opinions on the subject. I recognize I lost it a couple of times. But I still think you are using very provocative words. So, I strongly disagree with you on some concepts. Not such a big issue.

I have been very critical on dedicated Mac websites too whenever I considered something important to say. For example, with the upgrade to Snow Leopard last september I think Apple centered their attention very much on the date of release because of an aggressive marketing campaign. Snow Leopard came out and caused me and manny others a lot of pain for maybe 2 large month. Is curious that on a Mac website manny treated my comments as aggressions. Maybe they thought I was a PC zealot.

So I guess criticism wont come easy to anyone. And I also mean that is easier to criticize "others" than to receive critics.

I am evaluating a Core i7/Windows 7 "portable desktop" from Shuttle right now and I have a Shuttle PC I always use for when on the road. I also use a Macbook for light work and presentations so I don't care that much about the Macbook hardware performance but I like it. So tell me how do I keep the Mac zealot status from this?

Should I stop making comments on a PC website when the subject is related to Macs because I may be seen as a Mac zealot? Tuan, everyone. Never! I am going to contribute with what I really think.

I am not defending Apple here or there. I don't have money invested, I don't recommend Apple product as a first choice not even to my family and I am not planning to do it. And I don't care that much about Mr Steve Jobs. I defend my point of view, Mac or PC and I use what I use.

You Tuan and manny others here are treating me and manny Mac users as a zealots, radicals, saying what we hate or pointing how we behave. Very strong words and judgments. I am telling you this with all respect. You don't have any right at all to make such strong hateful human judgements. But if you are seeing zealots everywhere... humm.

This "other side" treatment also creates a notion of a harder problem and does not contributes to solve anything. So be careful how, in what context you use it. If you are making casual jokes, fine everything is a welcome. We are all smart enough. But you see how it developed right here from manny PC or Mac readers attacking and defending each other. I ask you, does it takes to much effort to pick less offensive words from the very beginning and be kind to all? Is up to each one. I am going to do my part.

At least In my experience I haven't feel any distinction or disrespectful behavior coming from others for using either machines besides a few very casual jokes. Basically, I notice a harder treatment on the Internet on more than one website. I am a creative professional and I am very used to use both Macs and PCs, Mac OSX and Windows and I like them all and try to see the potential on either system. And lastly I see manny others doing the same.

Best regards to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.