[SOLVED] why are all my ports closed ?

Sep 1, 2019
recently steam has stopped working properly , 0kbs download , online matchmaking doesn't work etc..
i thought that my net is just being slow , but everything else was working fine(uplay,epic launcher...) until i checked the ports & i'v found all of my ports closed like all of them even the http one , so i went ahead & used a vpn & it worked perfectly fine
what's causing this issue , thank you !

Solution
High ping values just makes it slow but 150ms is not huge and the software has tricks to still download fast on high latency connections.

More troublesome would be packet loss. In a way though packet loss is better because a ISP is willing to fix that.

In either case you would run tracert to the server and try to see which hop is causing the delays. The farther from your house the delay is the less likely you are going to be able to do anything. You ISP can only fix stuff on their network.

I did not see it in this tread but do you a separate modem. Could you plug your pc directly into the modem, that would also test if the router was the issue.
You should always see all ports closed unless you have a server function running and you port forwarded the ports. Its not like you have a web server in your house so why would you expect the port to be open.

It is likely some issue with the firewall on you PC especially if VPN works.

Reactions: oxidioveg
Sep 1, 2019
You should always see all ports closed unless you have a server function running and you port forwarded the ports. Its not like you have a web server in your house so why would you expect the port to be open.

It is likely some issue with the firewall on you PC especially if VPN works.
when i tried to disable my firewall nothing has changed

Rather than spend lots of time finding the actual issue the brute force approach tends to be faster.

Try first rebooting the router. If that has no effect do a factory reset on the router and only configure the admin passwords and the wifi setting. There maybe some setting you accidentally configured.

If this still does not fix it the problem is likely some software on your pc. It gets hard to say what could be virus software or some gaming accelerators or many other programs. Maybe you get lucky and the event viewer has a message someplace. PC problems are really hard because there are so many things that can cause issues.

Sep 1, 2019
Rather than spend lots of time finding the actual issue the brute force approach tends to be faster.

Try first rebooting the router. If that has no effect do a factory reset on the router and only configure the admin passwords and the wifi setting. There maybe some setting you accidentally configured.

If this still does not fix it the problem is likely some software on your pc. It gets hard to say what could be virus software or some gaming accelerators or many other programs. Maybe you get lucky and the event viewer has a message someplace. PC problems are really hard because there are so many things that can cause issues.
will do , but before i wanna tell you that i changed my public ip address through the router by changing the mac address and that still didn't solve my issue

Try another pc if you have it to rule out the router. This to a point sounds like it is NAT issue but no way to tell for sure.
I though you already disabled the firewall and tested. It could also be virus or malware protection.

Still I would start with the router it is much simpler to reset that than to attempt to restore windows backups.

Have you changed your AV or Firewall software lately? As bill001g stated, all ports are closed by default unless a program tells Windows ( and/or your firewall) to open them. You could try resetting your router, but another option would be to uninstall and reinstall one of the problem apps to see if they re-open the port(s) needed.

To give you an idea, here are the ports used by steam:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8571-GLVN-8711

The key reason I think i can not actually be port related is it works on VPN. On vpn you share a single IP with many other people. It is impossible for any type of incoming connection to even think to work on vpn.

This means something likely is blocking connections outbound. You have already tried all the ones I know since if you temporarily disable the firewall there are no rules.

The ISP will almost never block ports. Some will block things like 80 because many stupid people will try to set up their own web server and then have it taken over by hackers.

At this point I would see if you can test with another pc. This will show you if maybe it is still some issue with the router or a issue with your pc. You could try firmware upgrades on the router but I would test first before you spend much more time chasing the wrong thing.

High ping values just makes it slow but 150ms is not huge and the software has tricks to still download fast on high latency connections.

More troublesome would be packet loss. In a way though packet loss is better because a ISP is willing to fix that.

In either case you would run tracert to the server and try to see which hop is causing the delays. The farther from your house the delay is the less likely you are going to be able to do anything. You ISP can only fix stuff on their network.

I did not see it in this tread but do you a separate modem. Could you plug your pc directly into the modem, that would also test if the router was the issue.

Solution