[SOLVED] Why are both my HDD and SDD performing badly?

roiiitrustermate

Reputable
Oct 26, 2018
So my PC has been pretty slow whenever it comes to loading the files i have in a folder, using search in windows, deleting and moving files, etc...

I took a test and got these results: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/48120708
(my SSD is clearly horrible, HDD isn't too great too, and idk why it says i have no graphics card but that's not the issue here)

Specs :
Intel Core i7-3770
SanDisk Extreme II 240GB
WD Black 1TB
Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 C10 1x8GB
Nvidia GTX 1050Ti
ASRock p65 iCafe

Solution
https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/P65iCafe/index.asp

• 4 x SATA2 3.0 Gb/s connectors, support NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug functions
  • 2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s connectors by ASMedia ASM1061, support NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug functions

Your somewhat slow SATA III SSD performance is directly due to the ASMedia ports.
Even though it says SATA 3, those ports are slow.
The other 4 ports are worse.

What you see in your CrystalDiskMark result, post #12, is as good as it will get on this motherboard.

roiiitrustermate

Reputable
Oct 26, 2018
Have you checked which SATA ports your drives are plugged into? Your motherboard has 4 Blue SATA ports which run at 3.0 Gb/s, and 2 faster White SATA ports which run at 6.0 Gb/s.
Have you checked which SATA ports your drives are plugged into? Your motherboard has 4 Blue SATA ports which run at 3.0 Gb/s, and 2 faster White SATA ports which run at 6.0 Gb/s.
do i need to buy some sort of cable or something for that?

do i need to buy some sort of cable or something for that?
You need to connect SSD to white color sata port on motherboard (not blue color port).

P65iCafe(L2).png

The SATA3 ports on your motherboard are not controlled by the Intel chipset but rather by an add-on ASMedia ASM1061 controller chip. Check in the BIOS to see if you have NCQ enabled for the SATA3 ports.

ASMedia SATA3 Mode
* This item is used for ASMedia SATA3 ports. Use this to select ASMedia
SATA3 mode. Configuration options: [IDE Mode], [AHCI Mode] and [Dis-
abled]. The default value is [IDE Mode].

* AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface) supports NCQ and other
new features that will improve SATA disk performance but IDE mode
does not have these advantages.

I enabled AHCI for SATA 3, results are still the same, should i disable it? and also what could be the problem...
No, leave AHCI enabled.

According to UserBenchmark/Faq "Causes of poor Drive status";
  • Proprietary drivers (e.g. Intel RST or Samsung NVME) often offer better performance than windows stock drivers.
  • SATA 3 drives on non-Intel (e.g. ASMedia) ports sometimes limit peak speeds.

roiiitrustermate

Reputable
Oct 26, 2018
No, leave AHCI enabled.

According to UserBenchmark/Faq "Causes of poor Drive status";
  • Proprietary drivers (e.g. Intel RST or Samsung NVME) often offer better performance than windows stock drivers.
  • SATA 3 drives on non-Intel (e.g. ASMedia) ports sometimes limit peak speeds.
i'll try the drivers, but does that mean that connecting to the non-SATA3 ports would possibly be better? that doesn't make too much sense since they are just 3g/s but maybe im misunderstanding something

i'll try the drivers, but does that mean that connecting to the non-SATA3 ports would possibly be better? that doesn't make too much sense since they are just 3g/s but maybe im misunderstanding something
Using the SATA2 ports will not help. The sequential read & write speeds of your SSD are already above the 300MB/s limit of SATA2.
Have you tried checking the health of your drives using CrystalDiskInfo?
Have you tried running another speed test using CrystalDiskMark to see if the results match the UserBenchmark numbers?

roiiitrustermate

Reputable
Oct 26, 2018
Using the SATA2 ports will not help. The sequential read & write speeds of your SSD are already above the 300MB/s limit of SATA2.
Have you tried checking the health of your drives using CrystalDiskInfo?
Have you tried running another speed test using CrystalDiskMark to see if the results match the UserBenchmark numbers?
the drivers didn't make any difference btw

and i did the test, not sure what the numbers imply since it's my first time using it and idk how it should look like, here are the results though

roiiitrustermate

Reputable
Oct 26, 2018
Reseat the sata data cable both ends for the ssd.
Test with CDM.
If no help replace the cable and test.

Post a screen shot of crystal disk info for the ssd and the hdd.
sorry for the late reply, but i don't fully understand, ur saying the problem could be in my sata cable? coz i don't have any other ones, and what do you exactly mean by reseating both ends for the ssd?

USAFRet

Titan
https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/P65iCafe/index.asp

• 4 x SATA2 3.0 Gb/s connectors, support NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug functions
  • 2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s connectors by ASMedia ASM1061, support NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug functions

Your somewhat slow SATA III SSD performance is directly due to the ASMedia ports.
Even though it says SATA 3, those ports are slow.
The other 4 ports are worse.

What you see in your CrystalDiskMark result, post #12, is as good as it will get on this motherboard.

Reactions: roiiitrustermate
Solution
sorry for the late reply, but i don't fully understand, ur saying the problem could be in my sata cable? coz i don't have any other ones, and what do you exactly mean by reseating both ends for the ssd?
The sata data cable connects the mobo sata port to the ssd.
Take the cable off and then put it back on.
Do that at both ends of the cable.
It's a cheap test.

The cable itself is only a few bucks so replacing that is worth a shot.

A screen shot of crystal disk info would be nice to see.

Last edited: