[SOLVED] Why are MSI 990FXA Gaming Motherboards going for ~$250??

skylerns

Honorable
Jan 29, 2015
This is not a sale post, just a question about the hardware. I'm selling an old, partially-built system that has an AMD FX 6300 in an MSI 990FXA Gaming motherboard. I no longer have a compatible CPU Cooler or extra PSU to test these parts, so I'm not sure if they work. Therefore, I planned on being very lenient on pricing. When I googled the MSI 990FXA Gaming mobo I found them all going for around $250 USED. Why are these going for so much money? Is it worth it to pick up a cheap CPU cooler to test the functionality of the board? I no longer have the original packaging. Sorry if I'm missing something, I've been less involved in the PC community the past few years. Thanks for the help guys!

Solution
This is not a sale post, just a question about the hardware. I'm selling an old, partially-built system that has an AMD FX 6300 in an MSI 990FXA Gaming motherboard. I no longer have a compatible CPU Cooler or extra PSU to test these parts, so I'm not sure if they work. Therefore, I planned on being very lenient on pricing. When I googled the MSI 990FXA Gaming mobo I found them all going for around $250 USED. Why are these going for so much money? Is it worth it to pick up a cheap CPU cooler to test the functionality of the board? I no longer have the original packaging. Sorry if I'm missing something, I've been less involved in the PC community the past few years. Thanks for the help guys!

Because there were only a handful of...

DSzymborski

Titan

Because there were only a handful of motherboards that could really be trusted to run one of the 125W AM3+ CPUs and since they haven't been made now for a very long time, they sell at a premium for people who want to buy those very specific parts.

Also, note that "goes for" does not mean "sold for." If you look at eBay purchases for these motherboards that were actually sold, you'll find a lot of them for $75-$150 depending on condition. Not a single MSI 990FXA motherboard is listed as selling for $250 on eBay without an included CPU ("or best offer" doesn't count because those don't say what the final price actually was)

Solution
Same reason 990fx sabertooth boards are listed for nearly $200 on ebay. High end AM3+ boards are not very common, and the best components for a given generation always sell for far more than you would imagine. For example, an i7 3770k sells for $100-120, where a 2600k which is one step down is like $75, even though the performance gap is small.

But as said above, don't be fooled by these prices, they don't actually sell for that. My 990fx sabertooth is actually for sale for $100 right now and has been for weeks, but hasn't sold.

Reactions: skylerns

skylerns

Honorable
Jan 29, 2015
Because there were only a handful of motherboards that could really be trusted to run one of the 125W AM3+ CPUs and since they haven't been made now for a very long time, they sell at a premium for people who want to buy those very specific parts.

Also, note that "goes for" does not mean "sold for." If you look at eBay purchases for these motherboards that were actually sold, you'll find a lot of them for $75-$150 depending on condition. Not a single MSI 990FXA motherboard is listed as selling for $250 on eBay without an included CPU ("or best offer" doesn't count because those don't say what the final price actually was)
Thanks so much! Makes sense about those high wattage AM3+ processors. Also good point about the actual sale prices and bundles - I'll do a little more research.

skylerns

Honorable
Jan 29, 2015
Same reason 990fx sabertooth boards are listed for nearly $200 on ebay. High end AM3+ boards are not very common, and the best components for a given generation always sell for far more than you would imagine. For example, an i7 3770k sells for $100-120, where a 2600k which is one step down is like $75, even though the performance gap is small.

But as said above, don't be fooled by these prices, they don't actually sell for that. My 990fx sabertooth is actually for sale for $100 right now and has been for weeks, but hasn't sold.
Thank you for the reply! That definitely makes sense. I guess I didn't realize they were that uncommon. Crazy how recently it feels like I was buying one at Microcenter. I'm definitely gonna grab a cheap cooler and test out the board!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
They sell for that price because most ppl are sheep the remaining few being wolves who will take advantage of the slightest weakness. With sheep, that's usually their pocket book. They can't afford to upgrade, so must fix their old stuff and sellers know it. So gouge for every penny they can get away with.

$100 to have their grandkid fix their old pc, or $600 for a new one from Walmart... Not a hard decision.