Question Why are my games stuttering so badly ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

termite_z

Prominent
Jul 2, 2022
the title says it all. so basically it will only happen on high graphics games such as ARK , COD , ASSASSIN'S even in fortnite and overwatch sometime every time it stutter the disk usage goes up too 100 and will be back to normal after the stutter stop but after resetting my pc everything run smoothly no stutter at all but after a month or 2 the stutter came back and i have no idea what to do now my drivers are all up to date already reinstalled my drivers nothing help what only help is resetting my pc put as i said the stutter will be back after a month i've been having this issue for almost 2years now after finding solution for 1year and a half i gave up and stop playing for so long i came back to find a way to fix it.

here is my pc spec:

gpu: rtx2070

cpu: intel i7 8700

ram: ddr4 8GB 2666MHz

idk what to mention more

here is the vid of how bad my pc performed ( as you can see it takes so long to load it was longer but i cut it out )
View: https://youtu.be/wooiPmLL3Tc

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Please post the specs to your build, like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. Monitor temps for your platform when you see the stutters take precedence.

Reactions: ANAND_1981

rscheetah30

Dignified
Jun 8, 2018
Have you set the Power Options to High Performance? If not, go into Energy Options and set everything to High. Also, disable HDD Sleep and anything else that might be causing
stuttering.

Have a look at this page with easy to follow instructions:

Reactions: ANAND_1981
the title says it all. so basically it will only happen on high graphics games such as ARK , COD , ASSASSIN'S even in fortnite and overwatch sometime every time it stutter the disk usage goes up too 100 and will be back to normal after the stutter stop but after resetting my pc everything run smoothly no stutter at all but after a month or 2 the stutter came back and i have no idea what to do now my drivers are all up to date already reinstalled my drivers nothing help what only help is resetting my pc put as i said the stutter will be back after a month i've been having this issue for almost 2years now after finding solution for 1year and a half i gave up and stop playing for so long i came back to find a way to fix it.

here is my pc spec:

idk what to mention more

here is the vid of how bad my pc performed ( as you can see it takes so long to load it was longer but i cut it out )
Download this.
UBM

Reboot.
Wait a few mins.
Run UBM with the browser closed.
Post a LINK to the results page.

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
Causes to this particular problem is difficult to pinpoint, as there can be numerous and multiple variables causing this to happen.

A few years ago, I had this same issue. What solved it for me specifically, was going into my Windows power settings and changing it from Balanced, to High Performance.
Balanced can change the voltage and in turn, the clock speed of some of your hardware, which can cause performance spikes.

Overclocking can do this too, whether it is custom overclocking, or for example, Intel's turbo boost. If you do custom overclocking, I'd either make sure you did it right or turn it off.
If your cpu has some sort of turbo feature (factory overclocking), try turning this off too, if your issue persists after the power management change.

If all this fails to remedy the issue, try temporarily turning off your anti-virus program and Windows Game Mode, to see if that is causing the issue. If that doesn't work either, you'd have to dig into this a little further.

Last edited:

here is my pc spec:

idk what to mention more

The simple answer is your ram. 8gb is way to low to play modern games without stuttering. Your ram fills up then it has to use the swap file/page file/virtual mem - This is on your SSD or HDD. Then it stutters. Get a 2 x8 matched kit of 3200mhz ram. Is your current ram 2 x 4gb sticks, or 1 x 8gb?

Some of the 8gbs is actually hardware reserved, and some will be used for just normal required services. This leaves you with approx 5-6gb for gaming. Games like BF5 can use upwards of 7gb of system ram alone. Same for a lot of modern titles.

termite_z

Prominent
Jul 2, 2022
The simple answer is your ram. 8gb is way to low to play modern games without stuttering. Your ram fills up then it has to use the swap file/page file/virtual mem - This is on your SSD or HDD. Then it stutters. Get a 2 x8 matched kit of 3200mhz ram.
i actually did fixed the problem from disk defragment but the stutter came back in just a few days but it was not that bad compared to before but it still annoyed me and also everytime it stutter the disk usage will go up to 100%.

i have another question is it good to enable ultimate performance mode since i used high performance and it doest seem to help so i enable ultimate performance mode and keep it like that cuase i thought it would help.

and i got another problem where my game will look pixelated in fullscreen mode.

termite_z

Prominent
Jul 2, 2022
Have you set the Power Options to High Performance? If not, go into Energy Options and set everything to High. Also, disable HDD Sleep and anything else that might be causing
stuttering.

Have a look at this page with easy to follow instructions:

yes i did but im using ultimate performance right now but haven't heard about hdd sleep would check it out tmr

Last edited:
yes i did but im using ultimate performance right now but haven't about hdd sleep would check it out tmr
Using Ultimate plan will set it so no hardware is in sleep mode, and will always be active.

The issues is likely your ram. Your disk usage is high because your CPU is using it as additional memory because your 8gb of ram is filling up when gaming. This is much slower than your system ram, and this is why the stuttering happens.

termite_z

Prominent
Jul 2, 2022
Causes to this particular problem is difficult to pinpoint, as there can be numerous and multiple variables causing this to happen.

A few years ago, I had this same issue. What solved it for me specifically, was going into my Windows power settings and changing it from Balanced, to High Performance.
Balanced can change the voltage and in turn, the clock speed of some of your hardware, which can cause performance spikes.

Overclocking can do this too, whether it is custom overclocking, or for example, Intel's turbo boost. If you do custom overclocking, I'd either make sure you did it right or turn it off.
If your cpu has some sort of turbo feature (factory overclocking), try turning this off too, if your issue persists after the power management change.

If all this fails to remedy the issue, try temporarily turning off your anti-virus program and Windows Game Mode, to see if that is causing the issue. If that doesn't work either, you'd have to dig into this a little further.
is it possible that pre-built pc they would overclock cpu or any other part? it sounds like a dumb question but could it be right? or it was atuclly stupid (i know pre-built pc is bad but i was a kid so don't mind me)

termite_z

Prominent
Jul 2, 2022
Using Ultimate plan will set it so no hardware is in sleep mode, and will always be active.

The issues is likely your ram. Your disk usage is high because your CPU is using it as additional memory because your 8gb of ram is filling up when gaming. This is much slower than your system ram, and this is why the stuttering happens.
here is my full spec:

CPU: intel core i7 8700
motherboard: hp 844c
ram: 1x8 2666mhz
ssd: 237GB free 34.2GB
hdd: 931GB free 151GB
gpu: rtx 2070
psu: hp 500w model DPS-500AB-32A
chassis: HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 790-09xx
monitor: msi optix G27C4

termite_z

Prominent
Jul 2, 2022
Hi again,

As mentioned before, I really think the extra ram will solve your problem here. You've got a strong CPU and GPU, but your system is slightly hobbled by having just 8gbs of ram.

We can help you with getting new ram, if you can link a store that you can buy from.
I'm thinking of buying a new ram too i've been starting saving my money a month ago i now have 20 dollar might take around 7 months?
thanks for answering i appreciate that : )

D

Deleted member 14196

Or it could be the ram timings are not correct in the BIOS

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
D

Deleted member 14196

It's possible too. But you might expect BSOD's with incorrectly set ram more than stuttering. Everything points to a ram issue (not enough)
Oh what I meant was whether it’s set for dual channel or not because that will definitely cause stuttering if it’s not a dual channel

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
I'm thinking of buying a new ram too i've been starting saving my money a month ago i now have 20 dollar might take around 7 months?
thanks for answering i appreciate that : )

No probs, you're very welcome. You will be thankful of having 16gb.

In the meantime, make sure all background tasks are at minimum, don't use Chrome whilse playing games. This might give you slightly less stuttering.

Status
Not open for further replies.