Status
Not open for further replies.

Presidium

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
I've noticed that high end gaming motherboards have A/V ports on them, just like regular motherboards. I always assumed that these ports were for integrated graphics output only, and would be rendered useless as soon as the user puts in a dedicated GPU and uses the outputs on the card instead.

What is the point of having a bunch of video outputs on one of these motherboards if they are simply not going to be used?

Solution
If the GPU dies, then what? You'd have to go get another another card but might not be able to afford it. While it's a gaming PC if it's your only PC you might not be able to do work/school work/order a new GPU online.

mudpuppet

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
If the GPU dies, then what? You'd have to go get another another card but might not be able to afford it. While it's a gaming PC if it's your only PC you might not be able to do work/school work/order a new GPU online.

Solution

Presidium

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014

That makes sense. I guess that's why they'll typically be 1 DVI, 1 HDMI, and 1 DisplayPort, rather than 2 or 3 of the same, with the intention being that you can use any connector and not necessarily that you'd use a 3-monitor hookup with the integrated graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.