Question Why do I sometimes get shocked when I touch my PC case?

May 8, 2022
I'm a newbie when it comes to pc parts and electricityt stuffs, and would like to ask (1) why do I sometimes get shocked when I touch my PC case, and sometimes not? I noticed that I often GET SHOCKED when I touch my PC case and/or other metal parts when IT IS NOT ON, BUT PLUGGED IN, and I DON'T GET SHOCKED when IT IS ON AND PLUGGED IN. I sometimes get shocked too when I try to connect my headphone jack at the back of the motherboard, and get into contact with some of the metal case screws, metal parts of the peripherals, components, and/or the back of the motherboard itself. Do note also that my PC is placed on the ground, and not on top of a table.

(2) I would also like to ask on what would be the best ways/options to solve this problem, aside replacing from the PC parts/components themselves. (as I live in a 3rd world country and I'm a little tight on money, and prices here are still pretty steep sadly :c )

First Link - Image of the Wall Socket which plugs and links to an Extension Cord:
View: https://imgur.com/NKfVlvM

Second Link - Image of the Extension Cord turned On, with the Two-Pin being the plug for the Monitor, and the Three-Pin connecting to the Power Supply Unit:
View: https://imgur.com/3KD1Kj1

Third Link - Image of the Back of the PC with all the peripherals and cords connected:
View: https://imgur.com/krJISMj

PC Specs are:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1400
GPU: Zotac GTX 1050 Ti OC Edition 4GB GDDR5 ZT-P10510B-10L
MoBo: MSI B350M PRO-VDH
SSD: KINGSTON UV400 120GB 2.5" SATA III
PSU: SEASONIC S12III 550 BRONZE 550W 80+ SSR-550GB3
RAM: GSKILL RIPJAWS V 8GB 1x8GB DDR4 2400 CL15 (F4-2400C15S-8GVR) @ 2133MHz
KINGSTON FURY BEAST 8GB 1x8 2666MHz DDR4 Memory Black (KF426C16BB/8) @ 2133 Mhz
HDD: WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB WD10EZEX
SEAGATE ST2000DM008 2TB 3.5" BARRACUDA 7200RPM
CASE: COOLER MASTER N400
SAMSUNG S20D300 Monitor
BM-800 Microphone

Thank you very much!! :)

Lutfij

Titan
You have what's known as a grounding issue. Your crib might be lacking a ground to the outlet or even your main circuit board. You're advised to use the 3 pronged socket in the wall in tandem with a 3 pronged powerstrip that terminates with 3 prongs as well, like this;
d20dbab38f129c025e8351dfca29cc1bbe430084.jpg

Reactions: dudio
May 8, 2022
You have what's known as a grounding issue. Your crib might be lacking a ground to the outlet or even your main circuit board. You're advised to use the 3 pronged socket in the wall in tandem with a 3 pronged powerstrip that terminates with 3 prongs as well, like this;
d20dbab38f129c025e8351dfca29cc1bbe430084.jpg
Hi! If I am able to buy and use one of these 3-pronged powerstrip/extension cord to replace my current one, but the problem still persists, what would be the next best option/step to check, or component/s to replace in order to solve my problem? Just wanted to ask and be prepared just in case, heh.

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
I'm a newbie when it comes to pc parts and electricityt stuffs, and would like to ask (1) why do I sometimes get shocked when I touch my PC case, and sometimes not? I noticed that I often GET SHOCKED when I touch my PC case and/or other metal parts when IT IS NOT ON, BUT PLUGGED IN, and I DON'T GET SHOCKED when IT IS ON AND PLUGGED IN. I sometimes get shocked too when I try to connect my headphone jack at the back of the motherboard, and get into contact with some of the metal case screws, metal parts of the peripherals, components, and/or the back of the motherboard itself. Do note also that my PC is placed on the ground, and not on top of a table.

(2) I would also like to ask on what would be the best ways/options to solve this problem, aside replacing from the PC parts/components themselves. (as I live in a 3rd world country and I'm a little tight on money, and prices here are still pretty steep sadly :c )

First Link - Image of the Wall Socket which plugs and links to an Extension Cord:
View: https://imgur.com/NKfVlvM

Second Link - Image of the Extension Cord turned On, with the Two-Pin being the plug for the Monitor, and the Three-Pin connecting to the Power Supply Unit:
View: https://imgur.com/3KD1Kj1

Third Link - Image of the Back of the PC with all the peripherals and cords connected:
View: https://imgur.com/krJISMj

PC Specs are:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1400
GPU: Zotac GTX 1050 Ti OC Edition 4GB GDDR5 ZT-P10510B-10L
MoBo: MSI B350M PRO-VDH
SSD: KINGSTON UV400 120GB 2.5" SATA III
PSU: SEASONIC S12III 550 BRONZE 550W 80+ SSR-550GB3
RAM: GSKILL RIPJAWS V 8GB 1x8GB DDR4 2400 CL15 (F4-2400C15S-8GVR) @ 2133MHz
KINGSTON FURY BEAST 8GB 1x8 2666MHz DDR4 Memory Black (KF426C16BB/8) @ 2133 Mhz
HDD: WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB WD10EZEX
SEAGATE ST2000DM008 2TB 3.5" BARRACUDA 7200RPM
CASE: COOLER MASTER N400
SAMSUNG S20D300 Monitor
BM-800 Microphone

Thank you very much!! :)

May 8, 2022
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't buying a Three-Pronged Extension Cord/Power Strip solve this problem, like what is suggested by one of the comments above? Or would I need to open up the wall socket itself and tinker with the wirings and stuffs to fix the problem I'm experiencing? (I do hope not lol)

May 8, 2022
You can only go one step at time.
Understood. I'll get me a good quality three-pronged extension/powerstrip, then come back and update on this thread if the problem still persists. Either that or make a new thread if ever this one gets closed due to inactivity (not sure if that's how it works since this is my first post here lol). Thank you very much for the help!

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't buying a Three-Pronged Extension Cord/Power Strip solve this problem, like what is suggested by one of the comments above? Or would I need to open up the wall socket itself and tinker with the wirings and stuffs to fix the problem I'm experiencing? (I do hope not lol)
Other than a technical assessment, It's nice to inform folks how to avoid this issue in the future. Do you agree?

Reactions: anpanwansu

DSzymborski

Titan
Understood. I'll get me a good quality three-pronged extension/powerstrip, then come back and update on this thread if the problem still persists. Either that or make a new thread if ever this one gets closed due to inactivity (not sure if that's how it works since this is my first post here lol). Thank you very much for the help!

You can use the same thread; in fact, it's much preferred so that people responding know the whole topic.

Unless you have a strong background in working with electricity, there will be no outcome that has you opening up the wall socket yourself.

A power supply must be connected to a grounded outlet for proper operation.
The 2 prong extension is certainly an issue that can be remedied with a proper 3 prong grounded extension.

Then also, there is a possibility that your wall outlet is not properly grounded.
You can buy a outlet tester like this to check:
https://www.amazon.com/Receptacle-T...ocphy=9011560&hvtargid=pla-571548716375&psc=1

You really do not want to continue as is.
Shocks are unpleasant, but damage to your pc is possible.

if you still have issues after getting a 3 prong extension cord. I would get a volt meter and test the outlet. I have seen houses that had circuits wired incorrectly such that there was a 16 volt difference from the neutral wire to the ground wire. Even though there should be none. hopefully it is a rare case.
I have seen pc that had a usb connector touching the case and had a 4 .6 volt charge from the case to the ground wire. (as measured by volt ohm meter)
newer machines shutdown the port on short circuits but it resets over and over so you still get a voltage.

What is the humidity level where you live and inside your house? This could simply be static electricity that your body builds up from your clothing and other fabrics and it discharges when you touch a metal object. I live in a desert area where the humidity inside my house is 22 percent and I get static charges all of the time. You could get a grounding strap if this problem continues.

DSzymborski

Titan
What is the humidity level where you live and inside your house? This could simply be static electricity that your body builds up from your clothing and other fabrics and it discharges when you touch a metal object. I live in a desert area where the humidity inside my house is 22 percent and I get static charges all of the time. You could get a grounding strap if this problem continues.

While it's a possibility, we know his PC is ungrounded, simply by virtue of being plugging into what looks like the shoddiest power strip ever made. It's definitely the first thing to explore.

D

Deleted member 362816

I get zap'd (static) when I touch my PC all winter here in Iowa unless I run the humidifier.

That being said, that power strip is pure cancer.

KyaraM

Admirable
Do you get zapped when touching other metal parts not connected to your PC sometimes, too, like door handles? If yes, congrats, you got the same frustrating issue as me... some people are pretty prone to that.

Regardless, your extension chord looks quite old. I would replace it. As others stated, make sure it is grounded, best case having overvoltage protection and stuff like that. Can't be safe enough there. Also, it's generally good advice to not plug a high-power machine like a computer into them. It's always better to plug them directly into the wall for safety.

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
What is the average humidity were you live? You may have catch cat fever. 20k low amperage static discharge. But it destroys the electronics if it discharges on the equipment. Easy fix wear a grounding strap. Cooling fans spin builds up static electricity. Like petting a cat for hours.

Last edited: