[SOLVED] Why do my game launchers download so slow?

Oct 13, 2019
i use a 1000mbps powerline adapter, i am aware that 1000mbps is around 125mbs which is more than enough as my internet provider gives around 60mbs. however when i do internet speed tests i receive 30mbs download and 18mbs upload but my phone does 60mbs download speed. Thats not a huge problem for me, the real problem is how slow my game launchers download games, it hardly goes above 3MBS!! It's the same problem on epic games, battle.net and steam. My friend has a 1300mbps powerline adapter and it downloads so fast, but i dont want to switch powerline adaptors as they're quite expensive.

Solution
You might have done this but I did not reread this thread in detail. The best way to test powerline adapters is to put them both in the same room. You can plug them into wall outlets in the same room or plug them into a cheap power strip (the cheaper the better without surge protection). This should show you if the units are defective. If they work fine like this it is more likely some issue or maybe some device in your house interfering
I would test with your pc directly plugged into the router. Maybe you get lucky and it is some software issue.

Powerline units mostly work but there are some houses that they still have issues with. It all depends on how the wires run in your house and what might interfere. Things with motors tend to be the worst offenders.

Not much you can really do though. Try other outlets. Make very sure you plug directly into the wall sockets and not power strips.

The 1300 units may not work that much better in your house. Will your friend let you borrow them for a hour or so. The units you have a likely based on the av2-600 standard. Not sure why they all these 1000. The 1300 ones are likely av2-1200. The different is they run mimo like wifi does and attempt to run 2 signals rather than 1 overlapping. It works good on clean connections but has trouble getting the extra speed on poor ones.

Oct 13, 2019
I would test with your pc directly plugged into the router. Maybe you get lucky and it is some software issue.

Powerline units mostly work but there are some houses that they still have issues with. It all depends on how the wires run in your house and what might interfere. Things with motors tend to be the worst offenders.

Not much you can really do though. Try other outlets. Make very sure you plug directly into the wall sockets and not power strips.

The 1300 units may not work that much better in your house. Will your friend let you borrow them for a hour or so. The units you have a likely based on the av2-600 standard. Not sure why they all these 1000. The 1300 ones are likely av2-1200. The different is they run mimo like wifi does and attempt to run 2 signals rather than 1 overlapping. It works good on clean connections but has trouble getting the extra speed on poor ones.
The powerline I have is the netgear plp-100 my friend has the same WiFi as me, and I think mines also faster, he has the TP-Link 1300AV. I won't be able to borrow it as he doesn't go out much because of coronavirus. I'll try checking different sockets and directly connect it via ethernet, but I don't understand why I can get 30mbs download speed on broadband test but 2mbs download on game launchers.

Oct 13, 2019

faceslap i just realised that the internet speed test is in megabits, here i was thinking that the speed test was in megabytes. so that makes sense as to why i get 3mbps download speed. but isn't that VERY slow. it's the strongest(the fastest one has very weak signal so it will only be strong in one room and then very weak in others) one i can get in my area, i guess i just have to wait for when BT rolls out full fibre to my area. I had a look at the website and it said 60mb-70mb, so does that also mean megabits or does that mean megabytes?

Network rates are always in bits file transfers are in bytes. File transfers are only concerned about the content being transferred...ie the file. File transfers many times ignore the overhead of the headers in the packets and only count the payload. Network number include the complete packet so there is some variation other than simple bit/bytes also.

Still you should get 60 on the speedtests and not 30 if that is what you are paying for.

Oct 13, 2019
Network rates are always in bits file transfers are in bytes. File transfers are only concerned about the content being transferred...ie the file. File transfers many times ignore the overhead of the headers in the packets and only count the payload. Network number include the complete packet so there is some variation other than simple bit/bytes also.

Still you should get 60 on the speedtests and not 30 if that is what you are paying for.
Ok, I didn't get round to checking an ethernet connection today. i'll update you on what happens tomorrow :)

Oct 13, 2019

i am so sorry for how late it's been but i wasn't able to get round to making the time to test. So i tried a direct ethernet test and got 62mbps on the speed test, i tried different plugs with the powerline adapter an i still got 30-40mbps. Which means there must be a problem with the powerline adapter. is there any other ways i can fix this since it's been around a year since i got the adapter?

You might have done this but I did not reread this thread in detail. The best way to test powerline adapters is to put them both in the same room. You can plug them into wall outlets in the same room or plug them into a cheap power strip (the cheaper the better without surge protection). This should show you if the units are defective. If they work fine like this it is more likely some issue or maybe some device in your house interfering

Solution