Question Why does my computer keep freezing?

Jan 15, 2020
I bought a pc secondhand and it seemed all right when i tested it. However afterwards i discovered that it frequently freezes. The only way to get out of this freeze is by force shutting down (by holding the power button). So I was wondereing if the problem could be a compatia bility issue with some of the hardware components. This is the list of components:

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.00 Ghz 8-Core
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 ATX
Graphics Card: MSI Geforce GTX960 2GB Gaming
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3
Storage: Crucial BX100 120 GB SSD
Power Supply: Cooler Master B600 V2 600W

Jan 15, 2020
Also those AMD cpu's are notorious for overheating. Monitor the cpu temp and see if it is getting too hot. That could cause freezing too.

I used one stick of ram at a time and the freezes still occured. I also monitored my temperatures and indeed these were high (i think, see pictures). View: https://imgur.com/a/BVRGuQL
These temperatures are almost always this high whilst gaming or watching youtube. Does this imply that the cause of the freezes is the AMD FX-8350 processor and its tendancy to overheat?

Jan 15, 2020
No those temps are within normal values. I just noticed however that you have a very small hd. Is it full?

Not quite. I have a 120 GB ssd with 94 GB remaining and a 500 GB hdd with 303 GB remaining. They were full before, but i recently reset my pc partially hoping to solve the freezes and partially to remove unnecessary files to free up disk space. However the freeezes are still ocuring after the reset, when my disks aren't full.

Did the previous owner use an overclocking utility on the cpu/motherboard? IE. Asrock Extreme Tuning Utility? Check to see if he may have set up a tuning profile that automatically loads on start up. Also what bios is the motherboard on. You can check for the bios number on the first page of bios screen.

Jan 15, 2020
Did the previous owner use an overclocking utility on the cpu/motherboard? IE. Asrock Extreme Tuning Utility? Check to see if he may have set up a tuning profile that automatically loads on start up. Also what bios is the motherboard on. You can check for the bios number on the first page of bios screen.

I don't know if the previous owner used an overclocking utility. I also can't find out as he won't respond to any messages I send, unless there is another way to figure that out. I'm also afraid I have no clue how to determine if he has set up a tuning profile. As for the BIOS version (which I assume is the same as UEFI version?) it says "970 Pro3 R2.0 P1.70", so i think version P1.70.
And in my Sustem Information it say that the SMBIOS version is 2.7.

daniel12331

Commendable
Oct 4, 2019
I bought a pc secondhand and it seemed all right when i tested it. However afterwards i discovered that it frequently freezes. The only way to get out of this freeze is by force shutting down (by holding the power button). So I was wondereing if the problem could be a compatia bility issue with some of the hardware components. This is the list of components:

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.00 Ghz 8-Core
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 ATX
Graphics Card: MSI Geforce GTX960 2GB Gaming
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3
Storage: Crucial BX100 120 GB SSD
Power Supply: Cooler Master B600 V2 600W

Is this pc overclocked?