[SOLVED] Why does my CPU maximum frequency drop from 120% to 30% when playing games?

Sheffladjimmy

Reputable
Feb 15, 2019
I'm currently experiencing my CPU dropping from a maximum frequency of 120% to 30% making games become extremely laggy (Computer lag) (i.e Fortnite dropping from 120 FPS to 40-50 FPS for around 30 seconds to 1 minute, before returning back to normal.

I've noticed that when the maximum frequency drops, my games switch from using the gaming graphics card (Mine is a GeForce GTX 960M) to using the standard intel card (Mine is a Intel (R) HD Graphics 530).

I notice the issue a lot when the Laptop is warm, and not sure whether it is something to do with the Heat Sync, and/or the thermals?

Specs:

• Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
  • 16GB RAM
  • Intel (R) HD Graphics 530
  • GeForce GTX 960M

Solution
If this is relatively new behavior the CPU and GPU heatsink fins could be obstructed with dust. Laptop coolers depend on air flow across the fins but they are small and easily become clogged. You might get some 'canned air' to blow out the air vents to clear the fins.

When you do so, avoid spinning the fan at high speed as it can wear the bearings out prematurely. When you start to hear a high pitched whine you'll know it's time to let off the air and let it slow down again.
Likely, your processor is throttling because of heat.
On a laptop, make certain that the air vents are clear of dust and unobstructed.
Possibly using a cooling pad can help.
Another possibility is to reseat the cpu cooler using top grade cooling paste.

You can set the processor maximum clock rate to perhaps and see if that evens things out.

Sheffladjimmy

Reputable
Feb 15, 2019
Is it common for the computer to throttle for 30 seconds to a minute, and then return to normal?

And if so, is there any advice to re-thermal pasting a Dell Inspiron 15-7559?

Also, any upgrades i can make to the cooling system? i.e internal components? or would a cooling pad ease the issue?

If this is relatively new behavior the CPU and GPU heatsink fins could be obstructed with dust. Laptop coolers depend on air flow across the fins but they are small and easily become clogged. You might get some 'canned air' to blow out the air vents to clear the fins.

When you do so, avoid spinning the fan at high speed as it can wear the bearings out prematurely. When you start to hear a high pitched whine you'll know it's time to let off the air and let it slow down again.

Solution