Mar 10, 2023
I just built a new pc with a i7 11700k with a 3060ti and for some reason my pc in game spikes to high 80s to low 90c on rainbow six. Which to my knowledge isn’t a really hard game to run. I’ve got a hyper 212 rgb cooler master cpu cooler and I’ve tried reapplying thermal paste like 4 times and nothing has changed even took entire cooler off and remounted thinking i did it wrong. I have a musetex tw8 case with 6 pre installed fans but still my temps in my opinion are to high for the games i run. I even contacted intel tech support and they mentioned I have 3600mhz of ddr4 and they said to put it to 3200 and see if that helps but im not sure it will do anything. I forgot to mention I have a Msi mpg z590 gaming Wi-Fi mobo. I’m new to building pcs and need help, thanks!!

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I have a musetex tw8 case with 6 pre installed fans
How are the fans hooked up in your build? I noticed a video on YT that states that it has a fan controller. I'm wondering where that might be since the case is horrible in terms of support, there's no manual for it on their own site. 6 fans being bundled with a case would generally indicate that they aren't the best quality. They are proprietary fans, that can't be hooked to a motherbaord, or so that's what I could make out from a YT video.

hyper 212 rgb cooler master
That cooler shouldn't be used to cool that processor. Something more beefier...like the Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4, not that exact cooler but something with more cooling capacity.

What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard at this moment of time?

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Dark Rock 4 is a good suggestion. Deepcool AK620 is another hsf suggestion. Noctua u12a or D15s (or D15 if have the case clearance for raised fan) are some others.

When applying paste i like to spread it around with glad wrap on finger to avoid contaminates. Reason i do that is i don't trust myself putting hsf on straight enough for paste to spread evenly. But i guess you would've seen how your application spread when removing hsf.

Last edited:
Reactions: KyaraM
I just built a new pc with a i7 11700k with a 3060ti and for some reason my pc in game spikes to high 80s to low 90c on rainbow six. Which to my knowledge isn’t a really hard game to run. I’ve got a hyper 212 rgb cooler master cpu cooler and I’ve tried reapplying thermal paste like 4 times and nothing has changed even took entire cooler off and remounted thinking i did it wrong. I have a musetex tw8 case with 6 pre installed fans but still my temps in my opinion are to high for the games i run. I even contacted intel tech support and they mentioned I have 3600mhz of ddr4 and they said to put it to 3200 and see if that helps but im not sure it will do anything. I forgot to mention I have a Msi mpg z590 gaming Wi-Fi mobo. I’m new to building pcs and need help, thanks!!

There can be 3 reasons...
  1. Not good thermal contact between CPU and Cooler..
  2. CPU cooler Can't keep up with i7 11700K.
  3. Bad Airflow in Case..

1)
This issue can be easily identified if you stress test your CPU while monitoring the temperature of CPU. the Temperature will raise too quickly. and you will see sharp raising line on Temperature Graph. or dk/dt value is high.. (K= temperature, t = time, dk/dt means rate of change of temperature with respect to time..) which indicates.. poor thermal contact.. or thermal mass of cooler is not enough for the Power being supplied to heatsink in the form of heat.. since I personally used Hyper 212 turbo for long time.. Its thermal mass is good enough.. so which indicates (may be in your case) the thermal contact is poor...
reasons
-Bad mounting
-Poor quality of Thermal paste
-poor thermal paste application..

fixes
-Reapply good thermalpaste.. (if its poor quality)
-Remount Cooler properly.. (if it was mounted incorrectly.)

2)
Coolermaster Hyper 212 was designed for 150watt TDP CPUs(Google).. while I7 11700k can consume upto 180watts depending upon Motherboard's Settings (GamerNexus Video on I7 11700k )for Power consumption for CPU.. So it means that CPU is generating more heat than Cooler can remove from chip and dissipate in environment.

how to identify??
-Run the stress test.. and see the maximum power consumption for CPU during Test.. If it hits more than 160 watts even occasionally which can be the indication for CPU cooler cant keepup with CPU...

solution for this problem..
-Tweak the Bios Settings for power target of CPU
-Get new CPU Cooler that can keepup with the CPU's power consumption.

3)
If your Air flow is not good.. then CPU will eventually hit high temperature because. Heatsink cannot supply heat to the environment due to low or poor airflow.. (due to small delta value between Temperature of Heatsink and Ambient)..

HOW TO IDENTIFY??
-See if you have good airflow from PC Case... and there is enough ventilation at teh back side of Case..
-Check if Surrounding temperature is not more than 20-25C

fix..
Change the Cabinet's Fan orientation. to get good airflow..
if Surrounding is too hot.. Just shift your PC near cool and Dry place.. .

for stress testing and trouble shooting... Try AIDA64 Extreme utility.. (Trial version will do the job just fine..)
I hope these steps could fix your issue.

Mar 10, 2023
thanks for the replies im running core temp and im not sure if its supposed to be at 1.4...v and my speed is 4.6ghz im not sure if they are supposed to be there since the base clock is 3.6ghz if this doesnt lead to anything ill probably try to get another cpu cooler prob aio like yall said

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I wouldn't go aio unless you're prepared to replace pump eventually as it's lifespan is usually around 2~3years. Not only that but potential for corrosion, leaks, air bubbles and being aware how to set it up and where to correctly place radiator.

Im cooling 11700kf with D15 (default turbo) absolutely fine. 83max temp running intel burn test. Hsf mentioned are significantly better than what you have now so id consider remaining on air since you don't really need water + hsf last a lifetime.

Reactions: KyaraM

KyaraM

Admirable
4.6GHz would be the all-core boost speed. That is fine. If you go to Intel's product page for the CPU, you will find that it can boost up to 5GHz on a single core. So yes, it is where it is supposed to be.

About the cooler, it is a little weak for the chip, the 11th gen run hot. However, you might be able to run that class of CPU with that class of cooler if you undervolt. If you want to try that, best to look up some YouTube videos on it.