Harry Turner

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
So, new build with a Ryzen 3600 and a b450 gaming F motherboard. Updated windows, bios, ryzen master, chipsets, all that lovely stuff. What I can't stand however is the constant fan ramping up and down every 5 seconds or so. I've been seeing this as an issue on other forums however have yet to come across with a solution. This is with a stock cooler.

Lets break it down. I have disabled PBO in both Ai tweaker and the advanced cpu overclocking section in the bios ( someone explain why there are two areas??). I have tried changing between AMD power modes and windows and the only one that stops it is power saver... not ideal to be stuck at 2.2Ghz. It does however stop the vcore from jumping around 1.45-1.47v.. Which brings me onto how I'm monitoring this.

Hw Monitor, Ryzen master, and Ai Suite 3 are all giving me wrong information. Maybe..
Hw monitor shows the temperature spike(10c or so) which goes in tandem with the fans ramping up. It shows the core ranging between 3.5-4Ghz and the voltage at 1.4v (most of the time)
Ryzen master shows me stable temps in relation to the core clock, down to 1.3Ghz up to ~4Ghz. However it does not correlate with the fan speeds ramping up and down. It also shows the Vcore at 1.3-1.4v even when the clock speeds are low...?
And finally Ai suite 3 which shows me that the cpu is running at 4Ghz, the voltage at 1.4v+ and the cpu temps were frozen at 63c which meant my original fan profile wasn't ramping up anymore. (this was a bug I couldn't fix recently) so I deleted the software entirely.
I then put the fan profiles into my BIOS.

Which one do i trust!? And how do I stop it ticking up to 100% every 5 seconds? Fans set to PWM

The balanced power mode is set for the processor to be able to go down to 5% minimum.

Any Bios options I could have missed or accidentally disabled? Anything I can do to help my poor ears cope with this curse!

Many thanks

Solution
@Harry Turner
I had the same issue with my Ryzen 2700x. It is due to when you open an application, for example, the CPU will boost clock. Honestly, the best way I found to solve this is to set a custom CPU fan profile (especially for the stock cooler) in the BIOS, not hard to do at all but takes a little tweaking to get it right for your liking.

Personally, I like my systems air-cooled but also quiet, so with my custom fan profile, the CPU does run a little hotter, but I have good case fans to counteract the extra heat, though my CPU never goes above around 63C in high workload tasks.
So, new build with a Ryzen 3600 and a b450 gaming F motherboard. Updated windows, bios, ryzen master, chipsets, all that lovely stuff. What I can't stand however is the constant fan ramping up and down every 5 seconds or so. I've been seeing this as an issue on other forums however have yet to come across with a solution. This is with a stock cooler.

Lets break it down. I have disabled PBO in both Ai tweaker and the advanced cpu overclocking section in the bios ( someone explain why there are two areas??). I have tried changing between AMD power modes and windows and the only one that stops it is power saver... not ideal to be stuck at 2.2Ghz. It does however stop the vcore from jumping around 1.45-1.47v.. Which brings me onto how I'm monitoring this.

Hw Monitor, Ryzen master, and Ai Suite 3 are all giving me wrong information. Maybe..
Hw monitor shows the temperature spike(10c or so) which goes in tandem with the fans ramping up. It shows the core ranging between 3.5-4Ghz and the voltage at 1.4v (most of the time)
Ryzen master shows me stable temps in relation to the core clock, down to 1.3Ghz up to ~4Ghz. However it does not correlate with the fan speeds ramping up and down. It also shows the Vcore at 1.3-1.4v even when the clock speeds are low...?
And finally Ai suite 3 which shows me that the cpu is running at 4Ghz, the voltage at 1.4v+ and the cpu temps were frozen at 63c which meant my original fan profile wasn't ramping up anymore. (this was a bug I couldn't fix recently) so I deleted the software entirely.
I then put the fan profiles into my BIOS.

Which one do i trust!? And how do I stop it ticking up to 100% every 5 seconds? Fans set to PWM

The balanced power mode is set for the processor to be able to go down to 5% minimum.

Any Bios options I could have missed or accidentally disabled? Anything I can do to help my poor ears cope with this curse!

Many thanks
Not sure there is a solution besides setting a static CPU speed. I have a Ryzen 3600 I just used to build my wife a CPU and I’m cooling it with a 280mm AIO. My 9900k at 5.0ghz runs quieter on the 280mm AIO. The 3600 does the same as yours ramps up fans every time the cpu jumps in speed. Ramos up ramps down. I don’t know if there is a fix for the Ryzen CPUs with the way they boost up and down.

Seaweed Monster

Honorable
Jun 7, 2014
@Harry Turner
I had the same issue with my Ryzen 2700x. It is due to when you open an application, for example, the CPU will boost clock. Honestly, the best way I found to solve this is to set a custom CPU fan profile (especially for the stock cooler) in the BIOS, not hard to do at all but takes a little tweaking to get it right for your liking.

Personally, I like my systems air-cooled but also quiet, so with my custom fan profile, the CPU does run a little hotter, but I have good case fans to counteract the extra heat, though my CPU never goes above around 63C in high workload tasks.

Solution