Question Why does Task Manager seem to think I have much less RAM than I should?

thenesremake

Prominent
Nov 27, 2018
Upon checking Task Manager to troubleshoot issues with hardware, I checked the value of RAM being used by a process and checked the percent as well. Google Chrome appeared to be using 505 MB of RAM, and when I switched the value type from Values to Percents, Task Manager read Google Chrome as using 20% of my RAM. After some quick math, it's clear as day that Task Manager seems to think I have 2.5 GB of RAM when in reality I have 8 GB installed. I'm unsure if this is some sort of oversight on my part, so I took it here. Hopefully, this is some sort of solvable system error and the problems caused by not having enough RAM can all be solved by fixing this one thing. :)

Upon checking Task Manager to troubleshoot issues with hardware, I checked the value of RAM being used by a process and checked the percent as well. Google Chrome appeared to be using 505 MB of RAM, and when I switched the value type from Values to Percents, Task Manager read Google Chrome as using 20% of my RAM. After some quick math, it's clear as day that Task Manager seems to think I have 2.5 GB of RAM when in reality I have 8 GB installed. I'm unsure if this is some sort of oversight on my part, so I took it here. Hopefully, this is some sort of solvable system error and the problems caused by not having enough RAM can all be solved by fixing this one thing. :)

Are you using a 32bit system or a 64bit system?

thenesremake

Prominent
Nov 27, 2018
Are you using a 32bit system or a 64bit system?
I hope this sufficiently answers your question.
unknown.png

thenesremake

Prominent
Nov 27, 2018
Thanks! Try checking your BIOS and see how much ram is available, but also state your exact model of your RAM as it could be an incompatible.

My BIOS says that I have 8192 MB of RAM, so it's all there and recognized. This is my model of RAM among other useful bits of information, and my motherboard is a Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H-CF.
unknown.png

TRENDING THREADS