luuk.bergsma

Commendable
Jun 30, 2018
Hello,

For the last couple of days i haven't been able to use my pc because it doesn't post, I've been trying to find answers online but I can't seem to find people that have the same problem as I.

So heres what happens when i press the power button:
  1. fans and leds turn on like on a normal machine
  2. my pc shuts itself down after a few seconds
  3. it automaticly turns back on almost instantly
  4. it stays on with no beeps or anything

Please help me solve this problem,

Thanks,
Luuk

Solution
Thanks a lot for your reply!

The only weird thing that hapenned before this was that a few weeks ago a ram stick failed, but apart from that nothing like blue screens or anything.

here are my specs:
CPU = I7 4790
GPU = GTX 1070 gaming x from msi
RAM = 4 x 3 gb of ddr3 ram (like i said one failed)
PSU = 700w gold certified power supply forget which brand
Storage = 2 hdd's and 1 ssd
motherboard = ASUS h97m plus

I'll definitly try this out tonight, as soon as i come home.

Hi, thanks for the extra info... I am assuming you mean 3 x 4gb ram sticks (I don't think 3gb sticks exist, it would either be 2 or 4)?

Try what I suggested first, if that doesn't work, the next thing is to test out a 'minimal boot' - essentially disconnect...
Hello,

For the last couple of days i haven't been able to use my pc because it doesn't post, I've been trying to find answers online but I can't seem to find people that have the same problem as I.

So heres what happens when i press the power button:
  1. fans and leds turn on like on a normal machine
  2. my pc shuts itself down after a few seconds
  3. it automaticly turns back on almost instantly
  4. it stays on with no beeps or anything
Please help me solve this problem,

Thanks,
Luuk

There are a number of issues that could lead to this behavior... it would be helpful if you could give a bit more info - I gather it was working ok before this? Did anything happen before you ran into this problem (e.g. blue-screens, crashes?)....

Also some details about the hardware would be helpful, what are the specs of the machine (CPU, Motherboard, RAM, Graphics Card, Power Supply, Drives etc?)?

One thing you can try initially - fully disconnect the machine from the mains power (also unplug anything that is connected to the machine other than the basics - keyboard, mouse and monitor). Leave it for ~ 10 minutes or more, then plug it back in and try again.

luuk.bergsma

Commendable
Jun 30, 2018
There are a number of issues that could lead to this behavior... it would be helpful if you could give a bit more info - I gather it was working ok before this? Did anything happen before you ran into this problem (e.g. blue-screens, crashes?)....

Also some details about the hardware would be helpful, what are the specs of the machine (CPU, Motherboard, RAM, Graphics Card, Power Supply, Drives etc?)?

One thing you can try initially - fully disconnect the machine from the mains power (also unplug anything that is connected to the machine other than the basics - keyboard, mouse and monitor). Leave it for ~ 10 minutes or more, then plug it back in and try again.

The only weird thing that hapenned before this was that a few weeks ago a ram stick failed, but apart from that nothing like blue screens or anything.

here are my specs:
CPU = I7 4790

here are my specs:
CPU = I7 4790

Hi, thanks for the extra info... I am assuming you mean 3 x 4gb ram sticks (I don't think 3gb sticks exist, it would either be 2 or 4)?

Try what I suggested first, if that doesn't work, the next thing is to test out a 'minimal boot' - essentially disconnect everything except the bare essentials. That means disconnect the HDD and SSD (as not required for post), remove all but 1 stick of ram, take out the gpu (for a post test you can just connect the monitor to the connector on the motherboard and use the igpu in the i7 processor). If the machine posts like that, you can then start adding components back in and retest.

Solution

luuk.bergsma

Commendable
Jun 30, 2018
sorry i indeed meant 3 x 4 gb.

I tried unplugging the pc for 10 minutes like you adviced, which caused something weird to happen. At first it wouldnt start up at all, nothing but leds from the mb. But after waiting for a few minutes it just started itself up but still with nothing but fans spinning.

I'll try your second suggestion now.

luuk.bergsma

Commendable
Jun 30, 2018

Try what I suggested first, if that doesn't work, the next thing is to test out a 'minimal boot' - essentially disconnect everything except the bare essentials. That means disconnect the HDD and SSD (as not required for post), remove all but 1 stick of ram, take out the gpu (for a post test you can just connect the monitor to the connector on the motherboard and use the igpu in the i7 processor). If the machine posts like that, you can then start adding components back in and retest.

Hi, after trying multiple things ive come to the conclusion that my motherboard is faulty. Thanks for your help!

Reactions: cdrkf