Question Why i m getting low fps in gta 5

Jun 24, 2024
I have intel i3 9350kf with saphire rx580 oc lite 8 gb , idk why i m getting only 55-65 fps in gta online and 60-70 in gta story mode where else other get 100+ . I have 8 gb ram which is set to 2400mz , can someome help me

Jun 24, 2024
1)Ideally should be 16GBs of ram in dual channel.
Is that 8GBs in single channel, or dual channel?

2)Any cpu or gpu thermal throttling present?

3)Are one or more cpu cores maxing out, or close to it?
I just build the pc , it has. 8 gb in single channel , and i dont know about thermal throttling , and my cpu is 70% used and gpu is never used more than 50-60%

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I just build the pc , it has. 8 gb in single channel
Well, that's going to be a detriment to performance.

i dont know about thermal throttling ,
Download and run hwinfo on sensors only mode, leave it running in the background while you play, and you'll be able to view the cpu and gpu thermals.

my cpu is 70% used
Whole cpu measurement is nigh useless for games; all it takes is a single core/thread of the cpu to be maxed, or near max, for it to be considered the weakest link. Hwinfo can also show you what that's like, if you click on the arrow next to core usage.

But other get more fps in same specs
If it's not the exact same hardware, as well as the same software/drivers/firmware inside, then it's kinda apples and oranges.
An example is present with the ram: Since you have 8GBs of ram, and some others can have 8GBs, but they're running dual channel, then it's not the same, plus they have a leg up in performance by having more memory bandwidth available for the cpu. That's not even including memory frequencies and timings.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Jun 24, 2024
Well, that's going to be a detriment to performance.

Download and run hwinfo on sensors only mode, leave it running in the background while you play, and you'll be able to view the cpu and gpu thermals.

Whole cpu measurement is nigh useless for games; all it takes is a single core/thread of the cpu to be maxed, or near max, for it to be considered the weakest link. Hwinfo can also show you what that's like, if you click on the arrow next to core usage.

If it's not the exact same hardware, as well as the same software/drivers/firmware inside, then it's kinda apples and oranges.
An example is present with the ram: Since you have 8GBs of ram, and some others can have 8GBs, but they're running dual channel, then it's not the same, plus they have a leg up in performance by having more memory bandwidth available for the cpu. That's not even including memory frequencies and timings.
If i add 4 gb ram , then will my performance increase by how much % and how can j force my gpu to stay at 100%

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Jun 24, 2024
What @logainofhades said.

It's not ideal for anything to be running at 100% regularly, except maybe an AIO pump.
If you're running a gpu around max already, and run into scenes or effects that are gpu heavy, performance will only tank harder, than if there were some headroom left. https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...fter-upgrading-gpu-only.3754452/post-22640537
I have seen a youtube video , in it a person is play gta 5 with i5 6 gen with 8 gb ram 2133mz , and rx 580 8 gb , but still he s getting above 90 fps , where else i cant get 60 , and i m getting a i5 8400 for soo dam cheap , so i buy it?

Last edited:
First thing first like others have suggested get memory to 16Gb.

Not sure if you have bumped into the link I posted, maybe there are some tweaks there that will help. :)

Also found on Steam forums : -------Alright guys, finally fixed it! I went to properties in GTAV.exe and set it to Windows 7 compatibility mode, hope this helps

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2024
First thing first like others have suggested get memory to 16Gb.

Not sure if you have bumped into the link I posted, maybe there are some tweaks there that will help. :)

Also found on Steam forums : -------Alright guys, finally fixed it! I went to properties in GTAV.exe and set it to Windows 7 compatibility mode, hope this helps
I m getting a i5 8400 for about 20 dollare , should i upgrade my i3 9350kf

What motherboard do you have? It seems both CPU's are 1151 sockets but it get a little fuzzy what works with what between CPU generations and same sockets.

I still feel a memory bump is needed. GTA 5 came out in 2015 and your current parts with added memory should be a good match.

Have you at least set game to run in compatibility mode for windows 7 and if so what are your results?

Jun 24, 2024
What motherboard do you have? It seems both CPU's are 1151 sockets but it get a little fuzzy what works with what between CPU generations and same sockets.

I still feel a memory bump is needed. GTA 5 came out in 2015 and your current parts with added memory should be a good match.

Have you at least set game to run in compatibility mode for windows 7 and if so what are your results?
Windows 7 method didnt worked , still have to play with 55 fps

idk why i m getting only 55-65 fps in gta online and 60-70 in gta story mode where else other get 100+ .
There are so many factors.

Are you running mods.

Is your copy a bootleg download of the game.

Are you pushing game quality to high and should try a lower setting and back off some eye candy in games Video/Performance settings.

Bump memory to 16Gb's

Are you playing off a SSD or mechanical platter hard drive.

Do you have system gremlins running in the background zapping system resources. Open task manager and see what's running when you go to start playing.

How full is your SSD/Hard Drive?

Some antivirus programs tank system performance while playing games.

Do you have your internet browser opened while gaming with many tabs open. With only 8 Gb's of memory you need all that for the game so close browser while gaming.

Close discord if you run it and see if you improve.

Jun 24, 2024
I just checked that my i3 9350kf is bottleneck rx 580 by 93% , w t , how is this possible, in other video they are getting 90+ fps with rx 580 using i5 6 , i 3 5 gen , and here s me who have i3 9350kf with rx 580 but still getting 36fps in online

Jun 28, 2024
The user Stonecarver asked some valid and important question in his reply (#14).
You should answer those first.

Also installing questionable software such as "Bottleneck calculators" will bloat your system and slow it down.

Before you do anything, check your thermals and usage for CPU, GPU and RAM via HWinfo in sensor only mode. It will show you min/max/average values. And add another 8GB RAM stick to your system to get the advantage of dual channel memory. Make sure to buy the exact same RAM again. Not any other random stick!

Regarding the overclocking: Sorry to say that, but I doubt you and your system are up to the task of overclocking. It needs a decent amount of knowledge and patience/time to understand everything that comes with it.

If you provide more information, we might be able to help you.

Jun 24, 2024
The user Stonecarver asked some valid and important question in his reply (#14).

Also installing questionable software such as "Bottleneck calculators" will bloat your system and slow it down.

Before you do anything, check your thermals and usage for CPU, GPU and RAM via HWinfo in sensor only mode. It will show you min/max/average values. And add another 8GB RAM stick to your system to get the advantage of dual channel memory. Make sure to buy the exact same RAM again. Not any other random stick!

Regarding the overclocking: Sorry to say that, but I doubt you and your system are up to the task of overclocking. It needs a decent amount of knowledge and patience/time to understand everything that comes with it.

whenever i play some game my cpu usage is 100% while gpu is 50%-70% sometine both 100% , but my cpu is good enough to stay at 30-40% use only , when i see at youtube , other i3 9 with rx 580 only use like 40% , while mne is 100% , can u tell me why

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Maxing usage is quite normal for quad cpus these days, gta 5 wouldn't be any different. Online is more demanding than story mode. Cpu resources towards applications/games will vary too depending on Windows background running processes so need to check for anything of high usage by looking in task manager and startup items.

Also graphics settings in gta5 like grass on ultra is a performance killer. You don't want to run everything on low either because that'll put more strain on cpu and make gpu loaf so try find a happy medium.

Reactions: stonecarver
Can you give some feedback as to what IF ANY of the suggestions you have tried that many forum member have given there personal time to give you a hand.

If you stay on " my parts are fine and others get better FPS with same parts than It must be you lost the silicone lottery.

I don't really feel you did but HAVE you did anything suggested on your side.

I also think boju post was well said with yet again great suggestions to get you where you want to be.

Reactions: boju
Jun 24, 2024
Can you give some feedback as to what IF ANY of the suggestions you have tried that many forum member have given there personal time to give you a hand.

If you stay on " my parts are fine and others get better FPS with same parts than It must be you lost the silicone lottery.

I don't really feel you did but HAVE you did anything suggested on your side.

I also think boju post was well said with yet again great suggestions to get you where you want to be.
I checked what u said , when i lowered the setting in gta story mode , i get aorund 80 fos , before 60-75 , not a big change , but in online its same , should i upgrade my processor to i5 9400 , i m getting it at 20 dollars

Jun 28, 2024
I checked what u said , when i lowered the setting in gta story mode , i get aorund 80 fos , before 60-75 , not a big change , but in online its same , should i upgrade my processor to i5 9400 , i m getting it at 20 dollars
It is somewhat like talking to a wall...

Why buy a new CPU if your current CPU is, according to you/youtube, capable of doing what you want?

We all asked you to provide some useful information that would help us to eventually find the problem. You did not answer anything of what we asked. Unfortunately, for you, this is not how this works.

TRENDING THREADS