[SOLVED] Why I Need To Use AMD Pixel Clock Patcher on RX 570?

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
So I bought this USED graphics card before the end of 2021. It was a Gigabyte RX 570 Gaming (2017) in a working good condition. But the problem is that when I was about to install it on my computer, it wasn't recognized by the PC and an error comes up which i can't remember. It also has an exclamation mark on Device Manager so I tried contacting the seller and said I need to use AMD Pixel Clock Patcher. After that clean uninstalling via DDU and using that patcher, it worked and was recognized and working until now without any issues and it runs most triple AAA games in 50-90 fps. I know this looks suspicious so i tried looking for a sign if this was a modified bios or not and GPU-Z and Techpowerup says it has an identical bios serial number. Seller said it was from his closed Net Cafe due to pandemic and they had the same issue with it. They didn't even told me about it and yes, I'm aware about AMD gpus having problematic driver so I just wanna clear my doubts on this matter through the wise words from this forum.

Is this a mining card or it's just AMD driver being AMD (problematic)?
Thank you in advance and sorry about my poor english writing skill.

FEW THINGS to say:

• works great under overclock settings
  • no BSoD or some sort
  • no errors
  • games run great
  • gpuz doesnt seem to show signs of a fake product
  • works perfectly fine aside from the little notification saying "wattman restored settings" from time to time not a big deal tho.

Last edited:
Solution
I know this topic is a couple months old, but I wanted to share that I had this exact same issue with an Asus RX570. I also bought it used from a miner. Exact same problem. Every driver update required running the Pixel Patcher or Device Manager and Radeon software did not see the card correctly.

I finally got this fixed this past weekend. I ran GPU-Z to get the Device ID. I Googled that and the first hit was the TechPowerUp VBIOS archive. I downloaded the correct VBIOS for the card, and flashed it per the recommended software linked on the download page. Now I'm able to update my drivers without the need to run the pixel patcher.

I think the miner flashed an incorrect VBIOS to the card when he removed his custom mining VBIOS. It...
So I bought this USED graphics card before the end of 2021. It was a Gigabyte RX 570 Gaming (2017) in a working good condition. But the problem is that when I was about to install it on my computer, it wasn't recognized by the PC and an error comes up which i can't remember. It also has an exclamation mark on Device Manager so I tried contacting the seller and said I need to use AMD Pixel Clock Patcher. After that clean uninstalling via DDU and using that patcher, it worked and was recognized and working until now without any issues and it runs most triple AAA games in 50-90 fps. I know this looks suspicious so i tried looking for a sign if this was a modified bios or not and GPU-Z and Techpowerup says it has an identical bios serial number. Seller said it was from his closed Net Cafe due to pandemic and they had the same issue with it. They didn't even told me about it and yes, I'm aware about AMD gpus having problematic driver so I just wanna clear my doubts on this matter through the wise words from this forum.

Is this a mining card or it's just AMD driver being AMD (problematic)?
Thank you in advance and sorry about my poor english writing skill.

FEW THINGS to say:

• works great under overclock settings
  • no BSoD or some sort
  • no errors
  • games run great
  • gpuz doesnt seem to show signs of a fake product
  • works perfectly fine aside from the little notification saying "wattman restored settings" from time to time not a big deal tho.
without patcher, GPU is limited to 165MHz display link (HDMI)
1080p @ 60Hz runs at ~150MHz
mine display uses 594MHz....you can check edid from your display what frequency its using, but basicly higher resolution and refresh rate your display is using, more frequency it needs
this has nothing to do with gpu drivers, its just comunication link between gpu port and monitor

Reactions: ProfSeaGoat

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
without patcher, GPU is limited to 165MHz display link
1080p @ 60Hz runs at ~150MHz
mine display uses 594MHz....you can check edid from your display what frequency its using, but basicly higher resolution and refresh rate your display is using, more frequency it needs
this has nothing to do with gpu drivers, its just comunication link between gpu port and monitor

Oh ok, well i'm using a 1080p monitor with a default of 60hz. Didn't change anything it's running by default. Do you think it's the adapter? I'm using a DVI-D 24+1 to VGA since all my monitor only supports VGA and is still a subject for upgrade (on my bucket list).

It's a dual monitor:
  • main display is connected to a display port (1920x1080p 60hz)
  • 2nd display is connected to a DVI-D 24+1 to VGA adapter (1600x900 60hz)
Even without the 2nd display being connected, i remember it was showing the same issue.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2022
I know this topic is a couple months old, but I wanted to share that I had this exact same issue with an Asus RX570. I also bought it used from a miner. Exact same problem. Every driver update required running the Pixel Patcher or Device Manager and Radeon software did not see the card correctly.

I finally got this fixed this past weekend. I ran GPU-Z to get the Device ID. I Googled that and the first hit was the TechPowerUp VBIOS archive. I downloaded the correct VBIOS for the card, and flashed it per the recommended software linked on the download page. Now I'm able to update my drivers without the need to run the pixel patcher.

I think the miner flashed an incorrect VBIOS to the card when he removed his custom mining VBIOS. It was close enough to work, but caused issues identifying the card. Now that the correct VBIOS is restored all issues have resolved.

Solution

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019

I think the miner flashed an incorrect VBIOS to the card when he removed his custom mining VBIOS. It was close enough to work, but caused issues identifying the card. Now that the correct VBIOS is restored all issues have resolved.

But i can find the bios version stated by GPU-Z in TechPowerUp's page exactly the same. Does that mean even you have identical bios listed on TechPowerUp you might still have a mining bios? Pardon me about this matter, i'm really such a noob on Vbios (i do update bios of motherboards tho, just have no experience with graphcis cards).

Please enlighten me if I don't know some info regarding. Thanks in advance.

Mar 21, 2022
But i can find the bios version stated by GPU-Z in TechPowerUp's page exactly the same. Does that mean even you have identical bios listed on TechPowerUp you might still have a mining bios? Pardon me about this matter, i'm really such a noob on Vbios (i do update bios of motherboards tho, just have no experience with graphcis cards).

Please enlighten me if I don't know some info regarding. Thanks in advance.
Yes it's possible. Mine was also listed the same version as I had on the website, but when I flashed it there was an additional build number taking it from Rev 10 to Rev 13. You can load the file into the flash software and it should show the version before you actually flash.

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
Yes it's possible. Mine was also listed the same version as I had on the website, but when I flashed it there was an additional build number taking it from Rev 10 to Rev 13. You can load the file into the flash software and it should show the version before you actually flash.

That's concerning. Looks like that a-hole lied to me. I even told him to tell the truth since i will flash it if it's a mining card and he just don't answer my question directly. Honesty is so rare these days.

Thanks dude. Will leave this thread open for a while to read more stuff about the subject. Will come back here if i decided to flash and if it solves everything.

AND BY THE WAY, how do you know if it's the correct bios version for that exact GPU you have? I saw many different variants in TechPowerUp and then there's this bios from the manufacturer itself too. But anyway, gonna see some tutorials around the web for that i dont wanna brick this one.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2022
That's concerning. Looks like that a-hole lied to me. I even told him to tell the truth since i will flash it if it's a mining card and he just don't answer my question directly. Honesty is so rare these days.

Thanks dude. Will leave this thread open for a while to read more stuff about the subject. Will come back here if i decided to flash and if it solves everything.

AND BY THE WAY, how do you know if it's the correct bios version for that exact GPU you have? I saw many different variants in TechPowerUp and then there's this bios from the manufacturer itself too. But anyway, gonna see some tutorials around the web for that i dont wanna brick this one.
It can be tricky to tell. Obviously getting the correct VBIOS direct from the manufacturer is best if possible. The ones on the TechPowerUp website are dumped from existing cards by the card owners. Mine only had two files to choose from and they were basically the same file except for the date they were dumped so I chose the most recent one. The flash software will let you dump a backup of your existing VBIOS before flashing a new one in case you need to roll back. Of course there is always a risk of bricking a card when flashing though I found the process to be very quick and straight forward on mine. Just use the GUI version of the software if you don't want to mess with the command line.

Reactions: spentshells

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
It can be tricky to tell. Obviously getting the correct VBIOS direct from the manufacturer is best if possible. The ones on the TechPowerUp website are dumped from existing cards by the card owners. Mine only had two files to choose from and they were basically the same file except for the date they were dumped so I chose the most recent one. The flash software will let you dump a backup of your existing VBIOS before flashing a new one in case you need to roll back. Of course there is always a risk of bricking a card when flashing though I found the process to be very quick and straight forward on mine. Just use the GUI version of the software if you don't want to mess with the command line.

Turns out you are right. The problem is that there are so many versions of the same vbios version. All of them supports different memory like SK Hynix, Elpida and Samsung all under the same bios number and are not compatible with each other based on what Gigabyte says on the support page.

I filtered out the exact device ID, brand and unit, etc on techpowerup to track the proper variant and found the Samsung version, that's what I loaded on my flashing utility and my instict was right.

Those professional idiots who sold me this card knows this is a mining card, lied and flashed the wrong bios. I can now install latest driver without using AMD Pixel Clock Patcher. GPU-Z can now detect the Digital Signature (former unknown) as shown in the screenshot below with arrow. Instantaenously got detected by Task Manager, no more warning sign on Device Manager.

PC is snappier than ever.
Special thanks to @ZombiDuck and others!

No more warning on Device Manager and insta detected on Task Manager
View: https://imgur.com/P77KYPY

Digital signature detected
View: https://imgur.com/nRdlpbi

Mar 21, 2022
Turns out you are right. The problem is that there are so many versions of the same vbios version. All of them supports different memory like SK Hynix, Elpida and Samsung all under the same bios number and are not compatible with each other based on what Gigabyte says on the support page.

I filtered out the exact device ID, brand and unit, etc on techpowerup to track the proper variant and found the Samsung version, that's what I loaded on my flashing utility and my instict was right.

Those professional idiots who sold me this card knows this is a mining card, lied and flashed the wrong bios. I can now install latest driver without using AMD Pixel Clock Patcher. GPU-Z can now detect the Digital Signature (former unknown) as shown in the screenshot below with arrow. Instantaenously got detected by Task Manager, no more warning sign on Device Manager.

PC is snappier than ever.
Special thanks to @ZombiDuck and others!

No more warning on Device Manager and insta detected on Task Manager
View: https://imgur.com/P77KYPY

Digital signature detected
View: https://imgur.com/nRdlpbi
Glad you got it sorted. I know if drove me nuts for quite a while before I thought to try this. I was hesitant to attempt it with GPU prices being what they have been. I would hate to brick a functional card at the moment.

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
Glad you got it sorted. I know if drove me nuts for quite a while before I thought to try this. I was hesitant to attempt it with GPU prices being what they have been. I would hate to brick a functional card at the moment.

Yea haha, GPU isn't broken. It was just the seller statement that led me to thinking the bios was stock version but they lied, hindering me from flashing the right bios. I really thought it was just monitor-GPU comm issue. Professional guys doing stupid stuff. I don't know why they lied since I dont care getting a mining card at all, no reason for them to do that.

Probably , dude was afraid not closing the deal.

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019

Yea haha, people can't afford to brick a good card right now LMAO. Had balls made of 5 kg steel for flashing vbios and mobo bios without UPS considering the GPU prices nowadays. 😂😂