Question Why is 500hz and 1000hz mouse polling rate causing lag ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 8, 2021
I have corsair harpoon mouse and when polling rate is 500 hz or 1000hz in Icue software in some games (battlefield 5, cod warzone causes hugee fps drops) and when draging (cpu z - I noticed issue with only this program) window it lags.
I tried many many things like updating drivers, uninstaling completly drivers/icue, change usb port, reinstalling os. I noticed problem 2 years ago but I didn't care much. And now it is back, accidently I unpluged mouse and used touch pad and game gain 30 fps, so I plugged in other mouse and it works. At this point I remembered "polling rate" in Icue. I googled it and there are many people with same issue, so I changed it to 500hz still laggy but better, 250hz nice, 125hz very responisive but it looks terrible. And I could say "forget it" but i want to know what is broken -(my guess software/drivers)? after all with modern cpus 1000hz is nothing nowadays. I can also add that in task manager and hwinfo etc. I don't see any higher cpu usage when using 1000hz.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Full sys specs?

What's your iCUE version?

And one thing to try:
1. From iCUE, set the mouse polling rate to 1000 Hz. You can test the polling rate e.g in here: https://cmagile.com/mouse-rate-checker/
(Note: that test needs you to move your mouse cursor around insanely fast, for it to register close to or at 1000 Hz. Oh, you don't need to keep going for 5 mins or so. As long as you get peak near or at 1000 Hz, it will do.)

2. Quit the iCUE. And by quit, i mean that you kill the iCUE, not minimize it and send it hiding in sys tray.
(Note: once the iCUE closes, all your Corsair peripheral RGB profiles go to default.)

3. Test the mouse polling rate again and look if it remains close to or same. It should.

4. Try gaming with iCUE closed. Look if you get your lost FPS back.

Btw, i have Corsair Sabre RGB mouse @ 1000 Hz as well and i pre-checked that polling rate test. With iCUE running, max what i got was 1000 Hz. With iCUE closed, max i got was 1012 Hz. Go figure.

If you get ~1000 Hz with iCUE closed and your FPS back, i have one more idea what to try.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021
Full specs :
Lenovo y520
i7 7700hq
gtx 1060 max q
16gb ram

1 I tested this already and it works when it's set to 250 max is around 250, 500 - 500, 1000- 1000
2 I did this already nothing changes, icue version 4.11.274 ,mouse version of driver - I guess 3.08
3 -||-
4 no changes

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
icue version 4.11.274

Try downgrading iCUE. Back to version 3.xx.xxx.

iCUE that i'm running is version 3.37.140. And while i did try 4.11.274 (current latest is 4.13.223), iCUE, flat-out, did not detect my mouse at all. No matter what i tried, it just didn't work. So, i had to roll back to 3.37.140 and everything is fine again.

Btw, you can get 3.38.61 from here: https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/downloads

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
It could be the mouse issue though. And without testing with another Corsair Harpoon, nothing conclusive can be said.

Another option, not ideal though, is to remove all other USB devices from the PC and try again. If the issue goes away, you can look towards MoBo.

Jul 8, 2021
Another option, not ideal though, is to remove all other USB devices from the PC and try again. If the issue goes away, you can look towards MoBo.
I tried this nothing happens
It could be the mouse issue though. And without testing with another Corsair Harpoon, nothing conclusive can be said.
I will try on other pc

Jul 8, 2021
Ok so on acer nitro 5 (no icue)I found out that mouse is still lagy on 1000hz it's much better but still and in my mouse there is no such thing as default mode everything is stored on onboard memory in mouse (besides rgb modes). When I connect mouse as is to acer it was on 250hz so current profile on lenovo, so i changed on lenovo to 1000hz and once again connect to acer and as I wrote it's laggy

Jul 8, 2021
I recently bought new mouse rival 3 and I tried boot in safe mode and I checked corrupted windows files (DISM.exe , sfc /scannow ). No changes so it is definitely windows fault especially since on another pc everything works fine with both mice

christygamer

Reputable
Jan 13, 2018
I have corsair harpoon mouse and when polling rate is 500 hz or 1000hz in Icue software in some games (battlefield 5, cod warzone causes hugee fps drops) and when draging (cpu z - I noticed issue with only this program) window it lags.
I tried many many things like updating drivers, uninstaling completly drivers/icue, change usb port, reinstalling os. I noticed problem 2 years ago but I didn't care much. And now it is back, accidently I unpluged mouse and used touch pad and game gain 30 fps, so I plugged in other mouse and it works. At this point I remembered "polling rate" in Icue. I googled it and there are many people with same issue, so I changed it to 500hz still laggy but better, 250hz nice, 125hz very responisive but it looks terrible. And I could say "forget it" but i want to know what is broken -(my guess software/drivers)? after all with modern cpus 1000hz is nothing nowadays. I can also add that in task manager and hwinfo etc. I don't see any higher cpu usage when using 1000hz.

Ok it seems that I've managed to fix the polling rate problem. What I did is going to the bios settings ->advanced settings-> CPU configurations ->Disable C states>save and exit. Once you are done check your mouse polling rate here >> https://www.clickspeedtester.com/mouse-polling-rate-checker/
Now my mouse polling rate is set at 1000hz, no stutter/fps drops at all in any games.
Hope this helps

Reactions: Aeacus

mleise

Prominent
Oct 9, 2021
I also investigated this today and indeed, disabling C-states "solves" the issue, but it also forces the CPU into a high power state all the time. So I experimented with C-state options that my BIOS didn't expose and that led me to the little known "C1 state auto-demotion" feature which allowed me to keep all my precious C-states.
It seems to apply a heuristic, preventing a CPU core from entering a deep power state beyond C1 if woken up frequently. I'm using a little tool called msr-utility by 'cocafe' on GitHub to apply the setting at boot and reapply them after standby. Had to create a task scheduler entry and everything, but it's the best solution for me until ASRock exposes the setting directly in BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.