Question Why is my CPU bottlenecking my PC?

kanishknishar

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2016
My rig: www.bit.do/kanishkpc

When trying to play AC:O on high settings, I can't seem to even get consistent 60fps. My GPU usage as per the benchmark is only 60% but my CPU's usage is at 100%. I find this strange. Isn't i7700K supposed to be an ultra-end CPU? AC:O isn't the only game where I've seen the CPU usage hit 100%. I've also had my PC serviced by an engineer recently. He re-attached the cooler's paste.

Do I need a better processor?

No, you need a better game. The whole Assasins Creed series is one unoptimized mess, where it won't run well on even high power CPUs. It does benefit from more cores, which is the weak point of the 7700k. The 7700k has the same amount of cores and threads as an I7 960 from 2009.

Reactions: Olle P

kanishknishar

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2016
7700k came out 2 year ago only a 4C/8T
now we have 8C/16T

did you check the cpu temp?

They are under 90C. 80s?

No, you need a better game. The whole Assasins Creed series is one unoptimized mess, where it won't run well on even high power CPUs. It does benefit from more cores, which is the weak point of the 7700k. It has the same amount of cores and threads as an I7 960 from 2009.

I get this but I've read this for other games too. Isn't Andromeda badly optimized as well? Which games would you say are excellently optimized? Is Watch Dogs 2 properly optimized?

I suppose my question should be: Which game (with outstanding/cutting-edge graphics) should I use to test how powerful my rig is. DXMD is still at the top of the pile in term of graphics, right?

80c isn't high enough to cause thermal throttling and lower performance, but it's not ideal. Make sure it's not throttling at all.
Forza Horizon 4 from 2018 is a great game that runs well on lower-end hardware and looks great. Race Room experience from 2013 will run on anything and looks great. 4k High settings perfect 60fps on a week 1050. Half-Life 2 from 2004 is another great game that runs on anything, mostly due to its age tho.
Watch Dogs 2, Most Ubisoft games including the AC series, Saints Row 4, Batman Arkham Night, GTA 4, all notoriously unoptimized titles. Some of these are console ports to pc that are done improperly.
There isn't much to fix unoptimized titles, but you can try updates. Make sure your pc is stable and cool

kanishknishar

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2016
Forza Horizon 4 from 2018 is a great game that runs well on lower-end hardware and looks great. Race Room experience from 2013 will run on anything and looks great. 4k High settings perfect 60fps on a week 1050. Half-Life 2 from 2004 is another great game that runs on anything, mostly due to its age tho.
Watch Dogs 2, Most Ubisoft games including the AC series, Saints Row 4, Batman Arkham Night, GTA 4, all notoriously unoptimized titles. Some of these are console ports to pc that are done improperly.

Being able to run on low-end hardware means a properly optimized game?

Usually. Optimization means that the game delivers a good gameplay experience designed to deliver a decent framerate on most hardware, and not have any severe performance hiccups. PubG was poorly performing on most systems, but updates have helped it to run on some lower end systems. Fortnite ran well from its launch.

kanishknishar

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2016
80c isn't high enough to cause thermal throttling and lower performance, but it's not ideal. Make sure it's not throttling at all.
There isn't much to fix unoptimized titles, but you can try updates. Make sure your pc is stable and cool

Okay, I overshot with that guess wildly. My average temperature when I did two benchmarks for AC:O was 62-63C for CPU.

kanishknishar

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2016
You could, and that would help. I think you could try tinkering with settings to get better performance without much graphical hit since you say you are cpu limited.

My CPU usage in the game shows at around 92%.

My CPU showing 91st percentile means that my i7-7700K is performing better than 91% of i7700Ks tested by the software?

Also is i7-7700K not ultra-end anymore?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Alsp do things like turn off the Xbox and game bar crap in windows, in nvidia control panel - global settings turn the pre-rendered frames from 3 to 1 etc. The game is often not the only thing badly optimized for good game play, often windows can hurt just as much.

https://github.com/Sycnex/Windows10Debloater This lowers Windows resource consumption and Microsoft (telemetry) reporting.
The Userbenchmark shows your CPU is performing well. This is normal, some cpus perform slightly better than other identical ones, due to cooling or the motherboard forcing turbo more often.
In terms of Single Core performance, a 7700k rivals most modern CPUs. However, most newer games are beginning to utilize many cores, and since the I7 7700k has only 4 hyperthreaded cores, it will struggle when games are able to use more than 4 or 8 threads. Thanks to AMD's launch of Ryzen right after the 7700k came out, powerful 12 and 16 threaded CPUs are common and cheap, making 4 core 8 threaded CPUs like the 7700k low-end to the midrange, certainly not high end.
To prove my point here is a slightly newer 8 core 16 threaded CPU for $159, that easily overclocks to 4ghz. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3kPzK8/amd-ryzen-7-1700-30ghz-8-core-processor-yd1700bbaebox

Last edited:
Only problem it caused for me Xbox games to stop working since it uninstalls the Xbox app. It gets rid of the bing weather app and other junk. It disables cortana and telemetry. If you don't find it safe you can remove some things yourself, but that application just runs commands in PowerShell. It helps low end hw the most but does help cut down idle cpu usage

Sure it may lower CPU Usage a smidge by disabling a handful of services but this is more of a corporate policy control script and not a performance script overall. It would free up hard drive/ssd space more then anything and there could be value to that in some use cases. The majority if not all of those removed applications do not run by default and are easily removed by a single user as needed.

I guess I have a simple question. How difficult is it for a novice user to add programs and services back that have been removed by this script?

NoMercyBeAst

Reputable
Oct 18, 2017
No, you need a better game. The whole Assasins Creed series is one unoptimized mess, where it won't run well on even high power CPUs. It does benefit from more cores, which is the weak point of the 7700k. The 7700k has the same amount of cores and threads as an I7 960 from 2009.
No dude its an great triple A tier game.
It just needs a heavy budget gaming pc for ultra.
I play it at ultra with my ryzen 1700x and gtx 1070 and i get around 55-60 fps.. And sometimes it dropes to 40 depending on the environment and post processing.

menlui

Respectable
Jul 18, 2018
Just to make clear a couple of things as this thread is only going on about the 7700k, which is more than capable of 60fps on ultra (paired with a 1070) in origins/odyssey at 1080p, one thing slowing you down is your single channel RAM, 16GB is good but single channel is bad, sell it and get 2x8GB. Your screen is only capable of 60Hz so try locking the frame rate at 61 to stop your system doing extra work and lowering performance and/or enable V-Sync.