Question Why is my custom fan curve not working on 4070?

thefreshy

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2016
I bought new Gigabyte 4070 OC and I had it on default fan curve. It sat at 35C idle with fan speed a t 56%. I figured 56% fan speed is a bit much when idling so I went and experimented with custom ones. But I'm not sure I'm getting it right or something isn't working as it should.

As you can see on the image. I have fan curve set at 30% fan speed until 55C then ramp it up. But as you can also see my fan speed is at 0% and temp is above 50C. Why aren't the fans spinning at 30% despite sitting on the minimum on the dotted line. Am I misunderstanding how fan curves work? What am I doing wrong here?

HBngJZD.png

thefreshy

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2016
After testing, putting fan speed at 31% shows that they are running, but after I peak through the case I can see that fans are not spinning even if both MSI afterburner and HW64INFO are showing fan speed at 31%. Why is it doing this?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You have set your minimum fan "speed " signal (really, supply Voltage) too low. Any 12 VDC fan runs full speed at 12 V, but has a minimum to keep running slowly. Often any signal below 5 VDC will allow the fan to stall. Once that happens, the only way to get it re-started is to raise that Voltage substantially to 7 or 8 V, then slow it down a little bit.

Try setting your MINIMUM fan speed level higher. Start at 40% and see if it will STAY running. If yes, experiment a little at lower values until you find out what causes it to stall. Then raise that min setting to something that never stalls.

thefreshy

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2016
You have set your minimum fan "speed " signal (really, supply Voltage) too low. Any 12 VDC fan runs full speed at 12 V, but has a minimum to keep running slowly. Often any signal below 5 VDC will allow the fan to stall. Once that happens, the only way to get it re-started is to raise that Voltage substantially to 7 or 8 V, then slow it down a little bit.

Try setting your MINIMUM fan speed level higher. Start at 40% and see if it will STAY running. If yes, experiment a little at lower values until you find out what causes it to stall. Then raise that min setting to something that never stalls.
I found out it only keeps spinning at 50%, while at 49% it keeps turning off and on. Im happy with 50% as my GPU stays 35C all the time.

TRENDING THREADS