[SOLVED] Why is my Epson Workforce leaving massive gaps in some pictures?

Mar 16, 2021
Id really appreciate any ideas on this one as I'm stumped!
My Espon Workforce 3620 is missing out the middle of some pictures. I print ALOT and have never come across this before. If I print it in 2 up then there is a vertical gap rather than a horizontal gap. This is a jpeg. If I save it as a PDF and print, it will print perfectly. Smaller jpeg files seem to print fine, but my larger jpegs are all doing this.
I have cleared the spool, including deleting the files in the spool folder. Stopped and started the spooler service numerous times with admin privileges. Turned off and uplugged both my laptop and printer to clear any memory. Uninstalled and reinstalled the printer. The only other thing to try is using a usb connection rather than Wifi which I will do next, but this isn't a fix as my desk is not next to my printer.
I print every single day and this just suddenly started.
I'd really appreciate any ideas as all I seem to find when googling is print head issues.
gappy-pic.jpg

Solution
i found myself facing the same issue for the past couple of days now. i have a rather old epson printer, it's a L360. i thought it's just broken coz it's old. i tried to take it to one of my mate's windows 7 pc and strangely it worked fine, we tried using his printer on my pc and same result, blank on center page. it started happening when i received a windows update around march 9 iirc before i got the 20h2 update notice the following days. im not sure if updating to 20h2 will fix it coz i havent updated my windows yet. and yeah it can only print the whole picture if you open the image viewer and print it there or save it as pdf but on my case, file size didnt matter. it only prints the side of the image and just huge blank on the...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, the file size is an interesting tidbit. I wonder if the memory on the printer has gone bad. Try a large PDF and see if it does the same thing?

Latest drivers I assume?

Have you tried the Firmware update?

https://epson.com/Support/Printers/...ries/Epson-WorkForce-WF-3620/s/SPT_C11CD19201

That will re-write the software stored on the printer, and if something got corrupted, overwrite it. May also help with compatibility issues caused by Windows updates and the like.

Print heads would presumably go with the ink cartridges, so if that were the problem, swapping out for a new one would take care of it. But that doesn't fit your symptoms.

Mar 16, 2021
Thank you for your reply. The "Tidbit", also caught my attention! My files are approx 3mb.

While I have used pdfs, I'm not a major user. How would I go about creating a 3mb, 1 page pdf? Ive literally used print to pdf to test, which is crappy quality. Do I need to keep it 1 page? I figure keeping it the same size in all ways makes for better evidence.

I haven't updated the firmware. I was using CISS a few years ago which leaves me with firmware update fears. I am using compatible cartridges. Will this has any effect on my ability to use compatible cartridges? . I printed these last week with no problems. I attempted installing my printer on my sons laptop today and its said the latest firmware update was 2018.

I did buy a batch of these printers and stuck them in my loft. I changed over to this one about 3 months ago when i couldn't clear the Cyan print head. Last resort is swapping the print head to the old printer if that works. I must test that next!

Mar 16, 2021
what are you using to print jpeg?

did the printer properties have something like print immediately before finish spooling?

I've been using the printer dialogue to print but just enabled the print preview and the preview also has the middle missing.

It seems to be printing fine if I open it first with photos then print from there.

Mar 16, 2021
printer dialogue to print jpeg? you mean you open it on a web browser?

Yeah, use an app to print.
No I the Epson programme to print. However, if I open in photos and print from there is prints just fine I've now found.

I've just removed all the drivers and Epson software and going to try a fresh install.

Mar 16, 2021
is the epson software latest from epson website?
if the fresh install doesn't work. just use photo or anything
I've just redownloaded it so yes. Using photos isn't going to work for me as I print numerous amounts of different images in a folder each day. I need to be able to select them all then print all at once. Opening each one then printing is not gonna make me a happy bunny haha!

Bag of Potatoes

Prominent
Jul 11, 2019
i found myself facing the same issue for the past couple of days now. i have a rather old epson printer, it's a L360. i thought it's just broken coz it's old. i tried to take it to one of my mate's windows 7 pc and strangely it worked fine, we tried using his printer on my pc and same result, blank on center page. it started happening when i received a windows update around march 9 iirc before i got the 20h2 update notice the following days. im not sure if updating to 20h2 will fix it coz i havent updated my windows yet. and yeah it can only print the whole picture if you open the image viewer and print it there or save it as pdf but on my case, file size didnt matter. it only prints the side of the image and just huge blank on the center. i hope we find a fix to this problem.

Reactions: PuddleGemBob
Solution
Mar 16, 2021
i found myself facing the same issue for the past couple of days now. i have a rather old epson printer, it's a L360. i thought it's just broken coz it's old. i tried to take it to one of my mate's windows 7 pc and strangely it worked fine, we tried using his printer on my pc and same result, blank on center page. it started happening when i received a windows update around march 9 iirc before i got the 20h2 update notice the following days. im not sure if updating to 20h2 will fix it coz i havent updated my windows yet. and yeah it can only print the whole picture if you open the image viewer and print it there or save it as pdf but on my case, file size didnt matter. it only prints the side of the image and just huge blank on the center. i hope we find a fix to this problem.

Thanks for that. Good to know I'm not alone! I did try a system restore but after 2 hours it informed me it failed to restore due to an issue with One Drive. Hopefully that's sorted now so I will try again this evening after I'm finished using my laptop for work.

I've just checked my installed update and I had a Servicing stack update on the 9th and a regular security update on the 12th. I can't uninstall the servicing stack but I'm now trying to uninstall the windows update from 12th. I'll let you know how it goes x

Mar 16, 2021

Thamks for your input! I uninstalled the 12th March update and its resolved the issue! So grateful for your help.

Reactions: Bag of Potatoes