Question Why is my ethernet connection dropping ?

Dec 9, 2021
I purchased about two different ethernet cables because my connections drops at random times for 5-10 seconds. It isn't a problem with my ISP either. I want to know how to fix this so I can maintain playing games online.

specs:
mb: b450 gaming k4
cpu: amd ryzen 5 3600
gpu: 1660ti
ram: 16gb gkill ripjaws 3200 ram

Ralston18

Titan
How did you eliminate the ISP? Or some interim link to the game site, or even the game site itself?

Where did you purchase the Ethernet cables? What Ethernet cables/specs did you purchase? What is printed on the cable? There are lots of junk and fake Ethernet cables being sold everywhere!

Swap in Ethernet cables from a known working system without connection drops.

On your computer use Reliability History and Event Viewer to look for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the times that the connection drops.

The router's logs (if available and enabled) may be capturing some related issues or problems. Who has full admin rights to the router? You will need help from that person.

Computer specs:

Add PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition? History of heavy gaming use?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Dec 9, 2021
How did you eliminate the ISP? Or some interim link to the game site, or even the game site itself?

Where did you purchase the Ethernet cables? What Ethernet cables/specs did you purchase? What is printed on the cable? There are lots of junk and fake Ethernet cables being sold everywhere!

Swap in Ethernet cables from a known working system without connection drops.

On your computer use Reliability History and Event Viewer to look for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the times that the connection drops.

The router's logs (if available and enabled) may be capturing some related issues or problems. Who has full admin rights to the router? You will need help from that person.

Computer specs:

Add PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition? History of heavy gaming use?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

I have a tech come out, change the wires and made sure the connection was fluent through their end of cables.
It's for all my online games like fortnite, warzone, even apps like discord.
i purchased some from amazon, ebay, walmart, and i'm sure they are reliable .
The current one i'm using the specs are
*CAT6 Networking cable
*RJ45 Connectors
*Up to 1 Gbps transfer rate
I have screenshots of reliability history and event viewer but i dont know how to attach them.
I'll be able to get into the router logs later
PSU: PowerSpec 650W Bronze, I've never done much heavy gaming except for dying light for like 2 weeks but it wasn't for long.
Disk: Inland 1TB NVME ssd 401 GBS of free space

Ralston18

Titan
No certainty that those cables are reliable unless they have been tested and shown to work at the rated transfer speeds.

Bad, fake cables are everywhere.

What specifically is printed along the length of the cables?

Screenshots can be attached via imgur (www.imgur.com).

However, before capturing and posting screenshots first observe system performance in order to identify screenshots that show what is happening when you note connection drops.

As for the ISP tech, their responsibility is only up to and including the last cable and device (modem, router, or modem/router) that they provide.

Which implies that all may be well with respect to the ISP's service. May or may not be necessarily true.....