Question Why is my laptop freezing/glitching?

Mar 3, 2022
It happens at random times. Sometimes it doesn't happen in a week or more, and sometimes multiple times in a day.

My laptop is HP Omen 17-an116nm.

When it happens, most of the time I'll be able to move the cursor, but it'd lag a lot. After 2-3 seconds usually, I'd be able to move it normally, but if I click on anything, the cursor freezes as well and I have to force the shutdown.
In the rarest cases, the screen goes black and there are some glitch traces left over.
If there was any sound playing in the background prior to the freeze, in most cases it'll glitch a bit, again for 2-3 seconds, and then continue playing without an issue (not sure if it's because it's already buffered on YouTube or not).
Again, in the rarest cases, instead of the original sound, I'll only be able to hear the ear-deafening glitched sound that goes on infinitely.

I've tried some stuff myself already.

1. Removing unnecessary software
  2. Updating windows and drivers
  3. Actually reinstalling the whole windows today as well

None of those helped me solve the issue. I got another freeze 15 minutes ago (there is a chance I might've not done them properly).
My train of thought was if after reinstalling windows and having pretty much just basic drivers installed, the freeze still happens, then it might be the worst-case scenario. HARDWARE issue.
GPU would probably be the first part to blame for possible errors, but then again, I'm able to play games completely fine, even the newer ones on the more demanding side. I'm playing Elden Ring at the moment and I've spent more than 15 hours in-game with 0 freezing/glitching.
There was only 1 time that I remember, where my PC froze mid-game and that was a couple of months ago.
Most of the time, this happens when a youtube video is playing, whether in the background or actively.
Sometimes it happens when I lock the laptop and leave for a couple of hours. After coming back, I notice that it's frozen and that I can't unlock it, so I have to force the shutdown again.

One more thing I want to add is that my laptop battery has died 3-4 months ago. Is there a chance this might present the issue (in this specific case of mine)? I've been running it with a charger without any other issue so far.

I finally got a job and I have to work from home because of the pandemic, but this might present a great issue for me, especially if it's an expensive hardware issue I won't be able to pay for.

If you need any additional info, I'll be glad to give it!

Huge thanks in advance!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you check what BIOS version you're on for your laptop using CPU-Z? You can find that info on the mainboard's tab, listed next to BIOS. As for the OS, what are you working with? If you're on Windows 10, can you please check to see what version(not edition) you're on?

Reactions: mugetau
Mar 3, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you check what BIOS version you're on for your laptop using CPU-Z? You can find that info on the mainboard's tab, listed next to BIOS. As for the OS, what are you working with? If you're on Windows 10, can you please check to see what version(not edition) you're on?
Thank you!

BIOS info:
Brand: AMI
Version: F.09
Date: 04/24/2019

Windows 10 Version 21H2

I don't use it.
This is my first time hearing about Omen Gaming Hub to be honest :)

Okay. Sometimes a useful tool for managing power profiles with different fan settings. Sometimes if not installed correctly can cause issues.

Given your bios is quite dated, with F16 being the most recent, it's very possible a bios update will fix your issue. I'm surprised HP assistant hasn't prompted you to do so yet. Although, maybe you don't have that installed either. You can use/download the HP assistant to help install the updated bios.

edit: Have you done any cleaning/disassembling of your system since you got it? What temps are your CPU/GPU hitting under load?

Mar 3, 2022
Okay. Sometimes a useful tool for managing power profiles with different fan settings. Sometimes if not installed correctly can cause issues.

Given your bios is quite dated, with F16 being the most recent, it's very possible a bios update will fix your issue. I'm surprised HP assistant hasn't prompted you to do so yet. Although, maybe you don't have that installed either. You can use/download the HP assistant to help install the updated bios.
I actually have it installed, but it "tells" me I have everything up to date properly :)))))
Is there any way you can link me with the latest version to download?
I would much appreciate it.

I actually have it installed, but it "tells" me I have everything up to date properly :)))))
Is there any way you can link me with the latest version to download?
I would much appreciate it.

Which do you mean Omen Gaming Hub or HP assistant. The update for Gaming hub will be in MS Store. Just do a search for it, and click update. For HP assistant you need to go to the website here: https://support.hp.com/ie-en/driver...hp-17-an100-laptop-pc/20329829/model/23128236

Click an 'All Drivers' and look for software and 'HP Software Assistant'. Download the latest version, and it will then allow you to auto update all drivers to the latest. It may prompt you for a bios update at some point, and if you follow the onscreen instructions it will do that for you too. Once done, see how the system responds and if there's any improvement.

If you mean HP assistant is telling you all drivers are up to date, and we know your bios is at F09, then updating to F16 manually seems like the best solution.

Mar 3, 2022
Which do you mean Omen Gaming Hub or HP assistant. The update for Gaming hub will be in MS Store. Just do a search for it, and click update. For HP assistant you need to go to the website here: https://support.hp.com/ie-en/driver...hp-17-an100-laptop-pc/20329829/model/23128236

Click an 'All Drivers' and look for software and 'HP Software Assistant'. Download the latest version, and it will then allow you to auto update all drivers to the latest. It may prompt you for a bios update at some point, and if you follow the onscreen instructions it will do that for you too. Once done, see how the system responds and if there's any improvment.

If you mean HP assistant is telling you all drivers are up to date, and we know your bios is at F09, then updating to F16 seems the best solution.
Oh yes, my bad. I was actually asking for BIOS update link ahaha
Thanks for the other info though.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
The bios is under the same heading 'All Drivers' Click that to expand the options, and you will see the bios, with 1 option. F16. It's called HP Firmware Pack.

I've not used my Omen 15 for months, and can't remember the exact steps. Pretty sure once downloaded, click on the file and it will guide you through what to do.

edit: Just a note. If you are going to do the bios update, just ensure your system is plugged in.

Mar 3, 2022
The bios is under the same heading 'All Drivers' Click that to expand the options, and you will see the bios, with 1 option. F16. It's called HP Firmware Pack.

I've not used my Omen 15 for months, and can't remember the exact steps. Pretty sure once downloaded, click on the file and it will guide you through what to do.

edit: Just a note. If you are going to do the bios update, just ensure your system is plugged in.
I'll try updating the BIOS and then see how it goes. I will update here further if freezes/glitches continue.

Mar 3, 2022

It happened again today.
I went to the gym and locked my laptop instead of shutting it down.
Came back 3 hours later and it was completely frozen in the lock screen.
Caps lock wouldn't light up at all on click.
Had to force the shutdown yet again :(

It happened again today.
I went to the gym and locked my laptop instead of shutting it down.
Came back 3 hours later and it was completely frozen in the lock screen.
Caps lock wouldn't light up at all on click.
Had to force the shutdown yet again :(

Hey,

Sorry for late reply. What power plan are you running? Try high performance powerplan and see if that helps. Often when laptops go into sleep or hibernate, the wifi will knock off to save power. Sometimes it glitches when re-initializing.

Mar 3, 2022
Hey,

Sorry for late reply. What power plan are you running? Try high performance powerplan and see if that helps. Often when laptops go into sleep or hibernate, the wifi will knock off to save power. Sometimes it glitches when re-initializing.
No problem.
I switched it to "Performance plan" now.
Will update on how it goes, thank you :)

Mar 3, 2022
Hey,

The problem continues sadly.
I've experienced it a couple of times since then (around 6 times) and 5 out of 6 were me watching a Youtube video for some reason.
I tried watching YT on Firefox as well since I suspected it might be some kind of Chrome incompatibility issue, but the same thing occurred on Firefox as well.
I started suspecting that the issue might lie in the prolonged period of "user" inactivity on the laptop since whenever I'm watching a video, I'm either eating, or listening to music while doing something away from the laptop, and not interacting with the laptop at all for prolonged periods.
Sadly even that assumption seems to be incorrect since the last time this happened was before I went to sleep last night and it happened WHILE I was typing a message to a friend on Discord.
Any further ideas?