[SOLVED] Why is my MSI RTX Gaming x Trio 3080 Running so bad???

Xreama

Reputable
Jun 24, 2017
Ok so i upgraded from a MSI GTX Gaming X Trio 1080ti to a MSI RTX Gaming x Trio 3080 and my 1080ti is outperforming my 3080....

i have tried everything and anything to fix this and nothing is working. I contacted MSI Support about this with benchmarks and well pretty much everything they asked of me and one thing that they suggested was upgrade my PSU... which i did... from a
EVGA Super NOVA 750 G3 to a Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 , did it help?? NOPE!

My Specs

CPU - i9900k (Clocked at 5.0)
RAM - 32gb RGB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz DDR4
MB - Z390 AORUS PRO-CF
GCARD - MSI RTX Gaming x Trio 3080
PSU - Cooler Master V850 Gold V2
Main HDD - NVMe Samsung SSD 970
Other HDD's - Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB , Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB

Benchmark scores below

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

1080p - Ultra Settings - FPS 108
1440p - Ultra Settings - FPS 72
4K - Ultra Settings - FPS 53
(Way below average scores of other 3080's)

Heaven Benchmark
1080p - Score 7546 - FPS 299
1440p - Score 4323 - FPS 179
4k - Score 2551 - FPS 112

3D Mark Time Spy Benchmark

1080p - Ultra - Graphics Score - 16549
Overall Score - 14572 (Below average of my pc specs )
(Average Score with my pc specs 16304)

I hope someone has an answer, as stated above, i have followed all procedures and ideas from YouTube vids, to forums, used DDU and reinstalled drivers and reinstalled windows.

Solution
yes sure i can do that, will have to be tommorow though as its midnight and need to be up early, but if you do not mind keeping and eye out on this thread ill post the info on the 1080ti as soon as i can.
Be sure to do a clean install of drivers after removing them with DDU when swapping out the GPU's and then doing benchmarks.
To make sure you remove any issues caused by the drivers when swapping the hardware.
D

Deleted member 2720853

This is bizzare. My RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio is killing my former Zotac RTX 2070 Mini in everything - perf, temp, acoustics, etc. but that's to be expected.

Follow QwerkyPengwen's suggestions above.

Run Furmark stress test, get GPU-Z and see what the PerfCap reason is. Monitor wattage. Just get a general idea of how the card is performing and then compare the GPU-Z sensors to a regular 3080 during a stress test. You could look those up.

Xreama

Reputable
Jun 24, 2017
This is bizzare. My RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio is killing my former Zotac RTX 2070 Mini in everything - perf, temp, acoustics, etc. but that's to be expected.

Follow QwerkyPengwen's suggestions above.

Run Furmark stress test, get GPU-Z and see what the PerfCap reason is. Monitor wattage. Just get a general idea of how the card is performing and then compare the GPU-Z sensors to a regular 3080 during a stress test. You could look those up.
ill give that a go now thanks, i would post screen shots on here but it keeps coming up "something went wrong please try again or contact admin support"

Xreama

Reputable
Jun 24, 2017
ill give that a go now thanks, i would post screen shots on here but it keeps coming up "something went wrong please try again or contact admin support"
Furmark score is - SCORE:15959 points (266 FPS, 60000 ms) (1080p)
Furmark score is - SCORE:10070 points (168 FPS, 60000 ms) (1440p)
PerfCap Reason - Changes between Pwr & Pwr. Vrel
Temps are hovering between 64 to 65
GPU Voltage - 1.0000 V - 10510 V (Bouncing around that margin)

Last edited:

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
here is some screenshots to help you out.
click the detach button to bring the stats window out in full view to scroll through it.

For on screen data, go to the monitoring tab, go through the list and highlight the things you want in on screen overlay, then check mark to show in on screen display.
Go to the on screen tab to set a key combo on keyboard to show or hide the overlay.

Xreama

Reputable
Jun 24, 2017
use MSI Afterburner with RivaTuner to look at a graph and see what is being limited when under load as well as seeing what your power draw is while under load along with clock speeds etc. etc.
OK so have the graph / texts up, running heavens benchmark at the same time...

Voltage limit - between 0 - 1 (Fluctuates)
Power limit - Between 0 - 1 (Fluctuates)
Power - averaging between 88% - 102% (Fluctuates)
Gpu Usage - between 71% - 99% (Fluctuates)

Xreama

Reputable
Jun 24, 2017
If you want, open start menu and type "Snip" and open either snipping tool, or snip and sketch.
Then use it to start a snip, drag over what you want to snip, and snip it then save the snip as an image file.

Use image hosting service like https://postimages.org and paste either forum thumbnail link, or, get direct link, and use the image insert function in your post.
ok thank you, i usually use lightshot for my screenshots but does not like it here.

Xreama

Reputable
Jun 24, 2017
1.png
2.png
Capture.png

hope this is easier....

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
hmm. interesting. everything looks mostly normal with GPU usage, voltage, power limit, and wattage.

And your GPU is operating in PCIe 3.0 x16 mode like it should.

and you've done DDU in safe mode to rule out drivers.
if you were to switch back to your previous graphics card right now, can you confirm if it still outperforms your new GPU?

So that we can confirm that it's just not something that got borked up in Windows.

Xreama

Reputable
Jun 24, 2017
hmm. interesting. everything looks mostly normal with GPU usage, voltage, power limit, and wattage.

And your GPU is operating in PCIe 3.0 x16 mode like it should.

and you've done DDU in safe mode to rule out drivers.
if you were to switch back to your previous graphics card right now, can you confirm if it still outperforms your new GPU?

So that we can confirm that it's just not something that got borked up in Windows.
yes sure i can do that, will have to be tommorow though as its midnight and need to be up early, but if you do not mind keeping and eye out on this thread ill post the info on the 1080ti as soon as i can.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Be sure to do a clean install of drivers after removing them with DDU when swapping out the GPU's and then doing benchmarks.
To make sure you remove any issues caused by the drivers when swapping the hardware.

Solution