Question Why is my processor overheating?!

Jan 28, 2021
So, I have a Gigabyte Z490 motherboard, i7 10700k CPU and a GeForce GTX 1650.
I build this rig about a month ago and have been facing a severe CPU overheating problem ever since. My temps are like 90 - 100 degrees Celsius when I'm idling (with load 0%, I checked with core temp).
I originally had the corsair h45 AIO (120mm radiator), and the problem persisted. I thought it was probably a cooler problem, so I switched it to a Deep Cool gammax L240T (240mm radiator).
Unfortunately, this didn't help. I checked all my BIOS settings, and even turned off intel turbo boost, hyper threading, etc.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, since I can't figure out why my CPU is overheating.
Thanks in advance!

So, I have a Gigabyte Z490 motherboard, i7 10700k CPU and a GeForce GTX 1650.
I build this rig about a month ago and have been facing a severe CPU overheating problem ever since. My temps are like 90 - 100 degrees Celsius when I'm idling (with load 0%, I checked with core temp).
I originally had the corsair h45 AIO (120mm radiator), and the problem persisted. I thought it was probably a cooler problem, so I switched it to a Deep Cool gammax L240T (240mm radiator).
Unfortunately, this didn't help. I checked all my BIOS settings, and even turned off intel turbo boost, hyper threading, etc.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, since I can't figure out why my CPU is overheating.
Thanks in advance!
Did you make sure you applied the propper amount of thermal paste and the cpu coolers were actually seated

Reactions: Phaaze88

ZeroDollarBudget

Commendable
Sep 5, 2019
Most likely an issue with actually mounting the cooler to the cpu. Don't rely on the thermal pad it comes with, use actual thermal paste so you can see if you are making the proper adhesion to the to of the CPU. You will know for sure if this is the case when you take it off, there will be an impression of the thermal paste on both the cooler and cpu, it should look uniform and an even thickness.

Also, check to make sure you removed the plastic protection film from the bottom of the cpu cooler ( i made that mistake my first time with an aio LOL!!)

Reactions: Phaaze88
I would expect the idle temperatures to be in the range of 10-15c. over ambient.
Your symptoms indicate a problem with your cooler mount.
  1. Dumb question... did you remove the protective mylar film from the bottom of the pump before installing?
  2. Is the pump running? You should feel some vibration if you touch it.
The pump needs to be plugged into a header that runs continuously at 100%
Modern motherboards will have a header labelled as cpu-pump or such.

Other cooling issues will be one of varying degrees, not complete non functioning as your symptoms indicate.

4. Are you overclocking? If so, reset and see how you do.

5. What is your case and fan arrangement?
Any cooler needs a good source of fresh air to let it do it's job.

6. Is the cpu and pump mounted higher than the radiator?
There will always be some air in the system which will migrate to the top.
If that top point is the pump, you will not get effective pump operation.

7. Is the pump screwed down evenly to the cpu?

8. Did you use too much paste? Paste is a better conductor of heat than air, but not nearly as good as metal to metal contact.
It is hard to use too litle.